Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,443 Member
    Options
    Hmpff.. I did manage week6D3, but just about. I think I've reached a point where it's getting too hot. Last night it was 33C (91F) and rather humid. Maybe I've reached the point where I cannot go on for now.
  • SuperMelanie
    SuperMelanie Posts: 70 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I damaged both of my legs and ankles in separate accidents when I was younger-breaking bones, tendons, ligaments etc, the whole shebang! Since then have always found running for any length of time was quite uncomfortable, sometimes painful. I've had medical checks and have been reassured that all has healed fantastically, so I think the pain is more psychological than physical. I'm scared of damaging my once fragile legs and having to again endure the agony of reconstruction and repair and the butt ache of having to be immobile for weeks.
    Reading advice on various running sites, I made the decision to visit a proper shop for running equipment in order to have my running style and gait analysed and get fitted for a decent pair of running trainers. The size and style I needed wasn't in stock and had to be ordered.
    I collected them this morning and they feel and look AMAZING! They weren't cheap, when compared with high street "fashion" trainers, but they make such a difference :)
    I've got W1D3 tonight and I'm quite looking forward to it now!
    I'll let you know how I get on later.
    Fingers crossed X

• traveling12015
    traveling12015 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I completed week 5 yesterday! I'm just so pumped because I ran 20 minutes without stopping!! Sorry for the excitement but I've never done that in my life! I was scared but after the warm up, it wasn't that bad. I think the last 2-3 minutes were the hardest, but I pushed through. :p I'm kinda nervous to see what week 6 holds, but I'll start that on Sunday. In the meantime, let me savor this small victory o:)
  • SuperMelanie
    Options
    I completed week 5 yesterday! I'm just so pumped because I ran 20 minutes without stopping!! Sorry for the excitement but I've never done that in my life! I was scared but after the warm up, it wasn't that bad. I think the last 2-3 minutes were the hardest, but I pushed through. :p I'm kinda nervous to see what week 6 holds, but I'll start that on Sunday. In the meantime, let me savor this small victory o:)

Well done you! I look at the C25K timetable and can't imagine ever being able to run 5K. People like you give me hope that it may just be possible :)

• SuperMelanie
    Options
    I damaged both of my legs and ankles in separate accidents when I was younger-breaking bones, tendons, ligaments etc, the whole shebang! Since then have always found running for any length of time was quite uncomfortable, sometimes painful. I've had medical checks and have been reassured that all has healed fantastically, so I think the pain is more psychological than physical. I'm scared of damaging my once fragile legs and having to again endure the agony of reconstruction and repair and the butt ache of having to be immobile for weeks.
    Reading advice on various running sites, I made the decision to visit a proper shop for running equipment in order to have my running style and gait analysed and get fitted for a decent pair of running trainers. The size and style I needed wasn't in stock and had to be ordered.
    I collected them this morning and they feel and look AMAZING! They weren't cheap, when compared with high street "fashion" trainers, but they make such a difference :)
    I've got W1D3 tonight and I'm quite looking forward to it now!
    I'll let you know how I get on later.
    Fingers crossed X
    I completed week 1 and feel fantastic!
    I'm reading the messages on this site and for the first time I'm starting to feel that running 5K might actually be achievable for me.
    The new running shoes are possibly the best purchase I've made in years :)
  • rainbow1974
    rainbow1974 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I did week2 day2 tonight. On a treadmill, I have always had trouble running outside and getting out of breath. However, so far it seems to be doable. I'm jogging at around 6.5/7 km per hour and feel like I could carry on for a little longer than the current 90 secs. I am still wanting to take it one step at a time though... roll on July for our race for life!!
  • lddfsu
    lddfsu Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 3, and it was much easier than I thought it would be. Looking forward to week 4 next week.
  • mrsjatty
    mrsjatty Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Week 6 underway :) did day 1 today. I seriously can't believe I'm here. I am sure I am not the first person to be in utter disbelief, 5 weeks ago I struggled through 1 min intervals. Its still not "easy" but I'm doing it. I got a fitbit surge for mothers day. It's interesting to see, where I went in a picture form, what my heart rate is doing ( I was worried I was stressing my heart to much so it's good to see that I'm not) and that my own personal heartbreak hills ( very small inclines) actuly raise me up a "floor" no wonder I am puffed after them.....
  • SuperMelanie
    Options
    W2D1 completed yesterday. I came to the conclusion that I was probably running rather too fast, so calmed it down a little and although I came close to quitting, I managed to do it :)
  • rainbow1974
    rainbow1974 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Day 3 of week 2 done.... even managed to run for another 30 seconds on top of the last 90.... we'll see how the start of week 3 goes on Wednesday......
  • SuperMelanie
    Options
    W2D2 completed this morning. It was quite chilly at first so needed a good 30 minute walk to warm up my leg muscles before running. I think this may be best for me, to have a good walk before starting to jog, as I found today to be [almost] pleasant!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I tend to power walk for 5 minutes and then start the programme. Most of my training runs start and end with easy pace running, but I always top and tail with some walking too.
  • MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I start W2D1 today alittle nervous but excitied bc I am so proud at myself for even doing it! :) Way to go everyone!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    The RunDouble app has a built in 5 minute warm up and cool down walk included, so that has become my habit. I always find that my runs are better if I walk my dog around the neighborhood (1/2 mi) before I start the actual 5 minute warm-up!
  • blantonjm197
    blantonjm197 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I completed W6D3 last night and now I'm ready for Week 7. Bring it on.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    W5D1 yesterday. I did better than expected (week four was hard). :smile:
  • mrsjatty
    mrsjatty Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    W6D2 today, changed my route and went a bit later today as I did not have to get going to work. Earlier is defiantly better for me I think, I feel like I struggled more today. But that also seems to be my pattern, day 1 I feel invincible, day 2 I struggle, day 3 I kick myself in the butt and get it done. Need to keep my head in the game this week, those sneaky voices of self doubt are telling me I wont be able to manage the 25 minute run. The other voices are saying "shut up, can too". I'm not nuts, promise. I'm learning to trust myself. I read all the time on here trust the program, focusing on trusting that if I cant trust myself.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    W2D2 completed this morning. It was quite chilly at first so needed a good 30 minute walk to warm up my leg muscles before running. I think this may be best for me, to have a good walk before starting to jog, as I found today to be [almost] pleasant!

I usually walk my dog before running for 20-30 minutes and we go at a pretty brisk pace. I ran few times without the warmup walk, but I tend to run much faster then and have to slow down later which I hate...
  • Aine8046
    Options
    mrsjatty wrote: »
    W6D2 today, changed my route and went a bit later today as I did not have to get going to work. Earlier is defiantly better for me I think, I feel like I struggled more today. But that also seems to be my pattern, day 1 I feel invincible, day 2 I struggle, day 3 I kick myself in the butt and get it done. Need to keep my head in the game this week, those sneaky voices of self doubt are telling me I wont be able to manage the 25 minute run. The other voices are saying "shut up, can too". I'm not nuts, promise. I'm learning to trust myself. I read all the time on here trust the program, focusing on trusting that if I cant trust myself.

Of course you can! You are not the first one :)
  • Aine8046
    edited May 2015
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Hmpff.. I did manage week6D3, but just about. I think I've reached a point where it's getting too hot. Last night it was 33C (91F) and rather humid. Maybe I've reached the point where I cannot go on for now.
    Sounds terrible! Can you run inside? I am not a fan of a treadmill, but choosing between 33C and the treadmill is a no-brainer :)