w1d1

adam145
adam145 Posts: 32 Member
So, this morning I completed my w1d1!

I don't think I've ever run (other than towards, or away from something!), but I figured that, at 45, it was about time I gave it a try. My fitness level isn't too bad after quitting smoking about 6 years ago, and taking up cycling, but I quite like the idea of attempting a 10k next year or so.

So, up bright and early this morning, with c25k podcast in ear, and I did it. The inside of my knees ache a little now, but I think it went okay.

Any other newbies I can follow / be followed on Strava for inspiration? I'm at https://strava.com/athletes/150565

Adam.

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    I'm not a newbie, but I sent a follow request.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    I dont use Strava, but am intending to start C25K tomorrow - so Ill be following your progress with interest.

Ive never been a runner. Couldnt run to the end of the street without coughing a lung. Strangely though I can walk like a machine. I get a march going and can keep a good pace for hours, average 13-14 min mile. Pretty good for walking I think?

Anyway, thats one of those weird things that makes me me. Im hoping I can step into running via C25K, there is a first time for everything!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Same as Ceci.
  • adam145
    Thanks for the Strava follows. I'm feeling this mornings run/walk a little in my knees today, although I'm pretty sure it's "good" ache, rather than bad ache. It'll be interesting how it feels if I make it through the week 1. At this stage I can't imagine being able to run 5k without stopping (or to be honest, 5 minutes!).
  • samhennings
    I didnt do it this morning! Thursday will be the day...
  • adam145
    I'm not 100% sure I'm going to be able to do tomorrow! (my day 2). I still ache today, and I'm a little worried about a bike ride I have planned for Sunday. I'll see how I'm feeling in the morning!

Good luck for Thursday.
  • ftrobbie
    If it helps, I have the same thoughts about cycling and swimming. It's all about what you get used to. I'm sure you will be fine, look forward to seeing your progress on Strava
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    You might be sore until you run again . . . I've had those days where on Wednesday I'm still sore from Monday's run but when I run on Wednesday (just kick myself in the butt and do it!!!) I feel way better than I thought I would.

It might not be for you, but just some food for thought.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    I started this week. Did W1 D1 on the 11th. I think the fear of starting was worse than the actual workout.
  • adam145
    Sounds like you're on exactly the same time scale as me then! How did it go? When are you doing D2?

I did my D2 this morning, and despite aches and pains beforehand, I think it went okay. My pace was slightly slower than the first time, but I think that was mostly due to me taking a (very) slight detour in order to make sure my warm down walk was long enough before I reached home.

I think my general aches are good aches, rather than bad aches! At the moment, I'm looking forward to D3.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Aches are generally going to be ok, pain however...

As you're cycling already you should be doing enough to protect yourself, running, cycling and swimming are all complementary in that sense.

Well done, a 10K is easily achievable in about 6 months.
  • samhennings
    edited May 2015
    adam145 wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure I'm going to be able to do tomorrow! (my day 2). I still ache today, and I'm a little worried about a bike ride I have planned for Sunday. I'll see how I'm feeling in the morning!

Good luck for Thursday.

Thanks!

Its a tough one. I found when I started Stronglifts there is a fine balance between pacing yourself in and pushing through the discomfort or not pushing enough/pushing too hard.

I have since come to trust my instinct on taking a day off, hopefully you are in tune with your body enough to make the right call!

ETA - and of course I should read further down the thread before replying!
  • samhennings
    Well I did it. My legs arent to happy with me right now and my chest was trying to recreate that famous scene in alien the whole time but I did it.

All I can say is that all the positive testimonies, the transformations people attribute to c25k, all of them are lies. I cannot for a minute uimagine me running the required 90 seconds next week, let alone 3 or 30 minutes!

It seems impossible!

That said, Ill keep plugging away, who knows - it might work!
  • ftrobbie
    Looking at your Strava feed, my guess you are running too hard. I can do a 2hr half marathon and your 4th and 7th run intervals are at or faster than my tempo speeds. Slow it down, this is not a race, this is about getting time on feet and recovering. You are right, I expect you to struggle next week unless you slow down significantly (some idea I was doing 8.5km/hr during the early weeks), speed will come later.

Not sure whether the hypebole is your sense of humour coming through. :p . Have fun
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Strava request sent, if you're running faster than Robbies tempo pace, you definitely need to slow down. You'll get this :)
  • adam145
    Well I did it. My legs arent to happy with me right now and my chest was trying to recreate that famous scene in alien the whole time but I did it.

All I can say is that all the positive testimonies, the transformations people attribute to c25k, all of them are lies. I cannot for a minute uimagine me running the required 90 seconds next week, let alone 3 or 30 minutes!

It seems impossible!

That said, Ill keep plugging away, who knows - it might work!

Well done! I know what you mean though, I certainly can't imagine running for more than a few minutes, and certainly 30 minutes without stopping seams like a long, long way away!

That said, I'm actually feeling better today, the day after my w1d2, than I was on Tuesday, a day after my w1d1. I'm almost looking forward to tomorrow morning for the completion of the first week!
  • adam145
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    Looking at your Strava feed, my guess you are running too hard. I can do a 2hr half marathon and your 4th and 7th run intervals are at or faster than my tempo speeds. Slow it down, this is not a race, this is about getting time on feet and recovering. You are right, I expect you to struggle next week unless you slow down significantly (some idea I was doing 8.5km/hr during the early weeks), speed will come later.

I think you're confusing me and samhennings. It's my Strava link at the top of this thread.

However, it's still of course more than possible that I'm going too fast. I'm feeling relatively comfortable during the running stages, cardiovascular-ly at least. It's keeping my legs going and the aches in my legs afterwards which are currently my biggest problems. I'm assuming that's just down to my lack of any type of running, and yet, because I do a fair bit of cycling, my cardiovascular fitness isn't too bad.
  • adam145
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    Strava request sent

Accepted and reciprocated!
  • adam145
    edited May 2015
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    your 4th and 7th run intervals are at or faster than my tempo speeds.

In addition, I've just check my run, and both those intervals were downhill, if that makes a difference!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Slow down. Then slow down some more. You should be able to hold a conversation (or sing a song) while running. If you can't, you are probably trying to go too fast. This is the best advice I got when I started c25k.