race fuel

Options
124»

Replies

• lizdesj
    lizdesj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like the Gu gels. Salted Caramel is my favourite. I typically take one at the 8km and 16km mark.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Could pull a @SonicDeathMonkey80 and eat McDonald's during a half =P

My one half (2012), I ate half of a Chewy bar and that was it.
    And this past summer, I started running with water for things over 8mi.
    So I'm not helpful lol

I wanted an ice cream cone, but the machine was off at 8am, so I settled for the breakfast biscuit :)

Love it.

I like honey stingers, though the thought of an ice cream cone is even better.

• jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this thread this weekend as I bonked on a tough trail 10 miler. With a more clear head and feeling a lot better this morning, I attempted to diagnose what all went wrong on Saturday and I came across this article:

http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-runners/science-behind-bonking?page=single

I thought it provided some very helpful insight into the timing and nature of nutrition. It doesn't provide hard specifics, but gives a good idea about the types of nutritional deficits you can create while running, and provides some clues about how you might prevent them. I think the biggest things though are judging time on your feet vs. distance of your run, what kind of run you are doing (race, training run, long run, trail run, road miles, etc), and your environmental conditions (I had an unseasonably hot and humid day and the aid stations did not have the things that I apparently needed to keep from half passing out and puking the last 2.5 miles of the race). And - my own 2 cents - be sure to experiment, I'm happy that I've pushed myself to all 3 kinds of bonking identified in the article. I know how they feel, and now I can build a solid plan for preventing each one.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind carrying water, you can try Tailwind Nutrition. You mix it with 24 oz of water. I've used Gu in the past and never had a problem with it. But on my last 2 long runs, I've carried water mixed with Tailwind. A lot easier than opening a Gu Gel pak.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    jdelot wrote: »
    If you don't mind carrying water, you can try Tailwind Nutrition. You mix it with 24 oz of water. I've used Gu in the past and never had a problem with it. But on my last 2 long runs, I've carried water mixed with Tailwind. A lot easier than opening a Gu Gel pak.

Thanks for this. I've been looking for like this to try instead of chews.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »

Thanks for this. I've been looking for like this to try instead of chews.
    Sure thing. I've only tried orange and berry (I think.) I preferred the orange.

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

I do better with sports drinks than gels. The added sodium of Gatorade or Tailwind is a plus for me on my long trail runs since I lose so much salt from sweat and sometimes have problems with cramping.
  • theglencoegirl
    theglencoegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    OP here!! this post turned out amazing!!!! such great info!!!! thanks EVERYONE!!! i did try gels on my last training run, things went great! i felt great the whole way through. i know i probably don't "have to " fuel--but hoping maybe for a PB!! thanks again for all the great info!!!!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Came across this "article" about how various elite's fuel prior to/during/after marathons.

http://running.competitor.com/2013/08/nutrition/fuel-up-what-the-elites-eat_55730/2
  • sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i was just in MEC yesterday and noticed GU comes in Root Beer flavor now. has anyone tried it?
  • ghhrfy
    ghhrfy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents.. I typically don't train with fuel, but I do use a gel or two when racing a half marathon. I don't enjoy eating gels, but it's undeniable that they help. I ran a half marathon last fall, and it was one of the best races of my life. I took a few shot bloks at mile 5, and then again at 9-10. I started more conservatively (6:40-50) and ran a huge negative split with my last miles at 6:15-20. Compare that to this spring. I was in arguably better shape, but just plain forgot to bring any kind of nutrition. I ran pretty even splits of 6:30 and felt amazing through mile 10 or so... then I bonked, running 6:40-50 miles in the end, and finishing 20 seconds slower. I finished both races in 1:25, but in the race with fuel I felt amazing with a fast finish, and in the race without I had to run through a lot more pain in the end. I say if your stomach can handle it, do the GU!

My favorite race day fuel is peanut butter GU and any kind of Clif Shot Bloks.
  • sinister2014
    Options
    ghhrfy wrote: »
    Just my two cents.. I typically don't train with fuel, but I do use a gel or two when racing a half marathon. I don't enjoy eating gels, but it's undeniable that they help. I ran a half marathon last fall, and it was one of the best races of my life. I took a few shot bloks at mile 5, and then again at 9-10. I started more conservatively (6:40-50) and ran a huge negative split with my last miles at 6:15-20. Compare that to this spring. I was in arguably better shape, but just plain forgot to bring any kind of nutrition. I ran pretty even splits of 6:30 and felt amazing through mile 10 or so... then I bonked, running 6:40-50 miles in the end, and finishing 20 seconds slower. I finished both races in 1:25, but in the race with fuel I felt amazing with a fast finish, and in the race without I had to run through a lot more pain in the end. I say if your stomach can handle it, do the GU!

My favorite race day fuel is peanut butter GU and any kind of Clif Shot Bloks.

those are my favorite too. easy to chew and they taste pretty good as well.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I didn't bother read all three pages of this thread. So my apologies if I am repeating information given out.

A few said that supplementing with gu in the HM distance is not necessary. I tend to agree with this, but it all comes down to 3 things.

Your fitness level, the pace you running your half at, and how long it takes you to actually run a HM. If it takes you over 2 hours to run a HM and you are breathing heavy for most of it (indicates a very poor fitness level) then yeah you may exhaust your glycogen stores and will effect your performance. In this case, I would not focus on Gu's to improve your results. I would focus on improving your fitness level by continuing to run your long runs with a comprable distance to be under 2 hours at a conversational pace. That may mean running 10K's instead of HM's for a while.

Usually, this is not the case and as Sonic mentioned earlier, any gu or other supplemental nutrition you eat during your race is more mental than physiological.

The reason you eat things like gu's, gels, jelly beans, McDonalds biscuit sandwhiches (OK not the McDonalds), is to supplement the exhaustion of your glycogen stores. The pace you run a HM should not be so fast that you are running it predominately on your anaerobic system. In other words you are breathing like a mad man or woman most of the time. If you are, you are running too fast. This is not your HM pace. In other words, the shorter the distance your race is, the faster pace you should be able to run it at. Your 5K pace is faster than your 10K pace which is faster than your HM pace which is faster than your marathon pace. If you run your race at too fast a pace, you blow up because you went way beyond your lactate threshold, not because you burned up your glycogen stores. Gu, gel, beans, and breakfast biscuits will not fix this. Improving your lactate threshold will.

We all have a certain fitness level (it's different for everyone and you can improve it), where you run a certain pace at which your body will stop being able to use the oxygen you breath in (aerobic) and will force to burn energy (sugar) in your blood without oxygen (anaerobic). As soon as you reach this pace, we say you reached your lactate threshold. Once you run a pace that goes faster than this threshold you begin to dramatically increase the amount of lactate and hydrogen ions (byproducts of the anaerobic process) and make your blood too acidic that you can no longer maintain this pace. A good runner can race exactly at their Lactate Threshold for aproximately 1 hour. Any faster and their performace drops big time. Again, gu's, gels, and other nutrition does not help in this case.

The only thing you can do to improve this is training. Running tempo runs in training at your lactate threshold will stress your body to improve it's capabilities to clear lactate and hydrogen ions. Over time, your lactate clearing capability improves and thus raises your lactate threshold. Also longer runs at your conversational pace (70-80% of your max heart rate) will stress your other aerobic functions. It stregnthens your heart so more blood can be delivered to your muscles at every heart tick. More blood means more sugar and oxygen will be flowing to your muscles. Your body will increase the amount of hemoglobin in the blood (its what carries the oxygen from your lungs to muscle cells in your blood) and increases the amount of mitochondria in your muscle cells (its the oxygen burning part of your muscle cell).

Again, all these improvements happen as a function of training, not fuel source (gels, gu's, beans) during your race.

Now, when you run the marathon distance and beyond (beyond 20 miles or a distance that takes you more than 2-1/2 hours), your body will slowly burn all your glycogen stores. This is when suplementing with fuel while on the run will help. As soon as your glycogen level runs severely low, this is when you hit the famous wall or "bonking". Training at slower paces for long distances helps train your body to rely more on fat burning and thus conserves your glycogen stores which means you can run farther on the same amount of glycogen stores. Proper nutrition days leading up to the marathon helps (carb loading) to maintain a high glycogen store going into the race. And there are studies that show that early on in your marathon training, if you do your long run fasted, you can actualy boost your body's capability to store more glycogen.

Hope this helps. let the negative comments commence. ;-)
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    I think it boils down to that there is risk involved with taking in anything while you are running. Knowing that they can safely and effectively run for 2 hours without taking in anything and have no detrimental effects on their time, many runners chose to not fuel during a shorter race.

What I bolded is key though. Many runners say they don't need to fuel for a (example) half marathon, but if you look at their times they are incapable of a negative split. If you *can* demonstrate a negative split over that distance and not take in anything, then I would say yes you don't need to take in anything.

I would argue poor training or race strategy over the need for feul for the shorter race.

But training your body to be dependence on a blood glucose spike for performance by continually feuling on all training runs can be the problem as well. That's a problem you can't fix race day. And, if that's you, just feul and worry about it next time around!

Note the above is based on knowledge of physiology as it relates to running. I have no idea when it comes to tris :)
    I am not sure there is such a thing as a physiological adaptation to glucose spikes, but I could be wrong :)

Glucose spikes forces your body to unload a bunch of insulin into your blood. Insulin will clear your blood of any excess blood glucose. It also shuts down the things in your body which says burn fat instead of sugar.

OK! So your body likes things at a certain homeostacis. In other words, perfect balance. This includes your blood sugar level. Your body like to have this at between 100-140 mg/dL for most normal healthy people. (could be slightly different for other people) This is the percentage of blood sugar in your blood. If it dips down, your body turns on the things that says release more sugar into the blood. It could be from the liver glycogen, it could be from fat stores, it could be done by breaking down muscle protein.

If it spikes higher, then it goes into a state where the body says OMG, we have too much sugar in the blood, and it pours more insulin into your blood with the purpose of clearing it to the liver. This process actually counters the intent of eating gu's and gels, and such while running. You spike in blood sugar thinking that you will use it to fuel your run only to find out that the insulin is taking it away and putting it back into your liver instead of your running muscles.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    The physiological adaptation to glucose spikes is called diabetes. Not a good thing.
  • sinister2014
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Your fitness level, the pace you running your half at, and how long it takes you to actually run a HM. If it takes you over 2 hours to run a HM and you are breathing heavy for most of it (indicates a very poor fitness level) then yeah you may exhaust your glycogen stores and will effect your performance. In this case, I would not focus on Gu's to improve your results. I would focus on improving your fitness level by continuing to run your long runs with a comprable distance to be under 2 hours at a conversational pace. That may mean running 10K's instead of HM's for a while.

interesting take.... look at the results of a large half marathon and you're going to see ALOT of people that are over 2 hours.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

interesting take.... look at the results of a large half marathon and you're going to see ALOT of people that are over 2 hours.

I also see people that run marathons in 6 hours. I like to run, but good Lord I do not find being on my feet exhausted and hungry for 6 hours fun at all. (I will never make it as an Ultra runer) I have no idea why people do that. But I see them with smiles on their faces when they come in towards the finish. They are probably just too happy that it's all over.

• DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Today I ran just under 4 hours. I didn't eat anything before starting and for nutrition I relied solely on a water bottle with the following: 12oz water, 1 scoop whey protein, 1 tbsp MCT oil, 1 tsp sugar. I would drink a little about every 45 minutes. I felt fresh the whole time.

N.B. Don't try this if your body uses carbs as it's preferred fuel source. Also, if you only run shorter distances, GU's (or something similar) are probably still your best bet instead of trying the keto thing!