Making Strides in May!

Options

Replies

• Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,310 Member
    Options
    Just a fast post: it has been a very crazy 36 hours. My dad is now a Hospice patient through the hospital (this is a very huge blessing) and he will get amazing care right at home. My mother will also get to take 5 day breaks every 28 days upon request where they will take my dad to either the hospital or a nursing home for care. It is more involved but it is late and I want to go to bed. Just know that this is a very, very good thing!
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,931 Member
    Options
    Zoot, hope you got some rest. I am glad that your dad is getting care and your mom will have some help.
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Options
    Thanks Mihani :) . Medicare will pick up 100% of medication, care and equipment so this will also stop some of the financial drain. We are waiting to meet the regular nurse and Chaplain early next week. I feel much more positive and at peace with this result knowing that my parents are being seen and heard.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mihani wrote: »
    Laura, I can honestly say the first time I made these burritos I had serious doubts, but I stumbled on the recipe and had all the ingredients. I love these burritos. Love. Seriously. ohsheglows.com/2011/10/24/black-bean-and-butternut-squash-burritos/ They can easily be made ETL'ish by keeping the oil to a minimum. You need a little bit for the squash to roast up nicely. I add a couple handfuls of kale torn into bite-size pieces when I add the rice and such and let it get wilted down. Nice addition. I'm glad you have come to a decision. That has to be a huge relief!

Karrie, have you made the burritos before? They are awesome! I am becoming intrigued by the Zombies app myself.

No sign of the fitbit yet. I kind of had a relationship with the judgy little piece of technology and I'm quite sad that he is still missing. And yes I call it "he"... thanks to Scott who named him Hal for me and made me think of it like a person lol.

Sabine, I'm glad to have you back. I was actually going to message you the other day. If I'm remembering correctly you try to keep to a low glycemic diet. I've been reading a bit lately that tells me maybe I need to go that direction to quell the dratted starchy cravings. I'm interested in how that works for you (if I have it right that is you) and if you have any suggested websites/reading.

Lia, wedding is soooooo close now! Have you made a final decision on the catering yet? I think it is so awesome you are going to have some vegan options.

Zoot, hope all is going okay.

As I mentioned, I have a couple pretty important events coming up in June, work related and there will be a lot of important people present. I don't want to feel blobby and uncomfortable, I want to feel strong and confident. So Jillian and I are going to get back to the 30 day shred and I'm going to go full on ETL starting Sunday. I've been ETL-ish for the most part, I generally am, but I want to get serious and get rid of the -ish. I have a beautiful dress that will be perfect for one of these events that I can't wear unless I get some of these jiggly bits firmed back up, so I have great motivation!

Yep. I try to eat low glycemic (load). Message me if you want more info!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Good morning ETL'ers! Hope you all had a good weekend. I worked mostly, but made good progress. Had the office to myself mostly, which makes it so much easier to get things done. Still doing my warm up exercises in the mornings, had a smoothie for breakfast and made a double batch so I will have one for lunch as well. Salad for dinner and going to do the 30DS this evening. I'm feeling very motivated. Going to give the low glycemic idea a go this week, reading up on it a bit first.
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Morning everyone!! I feel like I've only been at work an hour and I already am longing for the weekend lol. I started off the morning badly and I would like to go back to bed lol. Mondays are always the worst though.

I was away the whole weekend at an anniversary party which was actually so much fun! I drank too much though and miraculously felt okay yesterday except I craved carbs in a big way ALL.DAY.LONG!! So in that sense, I'm happy for Monday. I'm going to try and start my Insanity tonight if I can. I think my back is up to it, although I might have an ASL tutoring session.

Mihani, the wedding is close!! I can't wait for it to be here and then gone lol. Right now we are about 10 people over what the limit should be... so that is mega stressing me out but I just keep hoping or figuring that it will work itself out. We decided on three main options!! Vegan pad thai, mushroom risotto, and eggplant parmesan!! I've gotten some comments but for the most part, people have been okay about it! Great resolve with the 30DS!!! And great start to the week with the smoothies too :)

Zooty, I hope you had a great sleep and went to bed with some peace of mind. Very very great about both your parents!

Karrie, you have sold me. I'm totally going to try Zombies! How did the knee do this weekend?

Laura, I hope you had a great sleep with peace of mind too!!! What a difficult decision but what a huge relief... I do think a lot lately about making sure I have a balance in my life. Time is so valuable! Glad you will have some more time for family and yourself :)

Sabine, glad you're hanging in there. Good luck with the menopause symptoms though. Did you get some more sleep? That insomnia sounds awful... Let us know how the starch experiment goes!
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Just have to do a quick post right now - will catch up more later...

I did my run yesterday 8km nonstop. I wore a tensor bandage just in case. It was an okay run, but I waited until noon, so I was running in the heat, there was no wind and I was suffering for it. I am an early morning runner for a reason!! But I finished and then walked a further 3km afterwards. My knee is still stiff, but it's not pain, so it's okay. My half marathon is in 3 weeks!!!! (yikes!!) :astonished:
  • Phoenix4me18
    Phoenix4me18 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Just popping by and will have to do a better post later! Spent the entire weekend working on nothing but fun stuff. Got homework done Friday so I literally had the whole weekend off. Saturday the hubby and kids took me out and bought me every flower, vegetable and fruit I needed for the yard. We spent the rest of the day outside planting, digging and built a brand new garden (11' x 5' = 45 bags of dirt!) which is filled with all kinds of vegetable plants. Woke up Sunday feeling like I was 100 years old and filled with concrete, but, have my beautiful sanctuary back in my back yard. Spend Sunday with our mom's (his for breakfast and mine for dinner). Collapsed last night and woke up with a pulled back muscle and a super sore throat. I had a blast though and wouldn't change it at all!

Enjoying a bowl full of grilled veggies left over from dinner last night along with some fresh strawberries for lunch. Life is good.

Back with more later. Hope everyone is well!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Just have to do a quick post right now - will catch up more later...

I did my run yesterday 8km nonstop. I wore a tensor bandage just in case. It was an okay run, but I waited until noon, so I was running in the heat, there was no wind and I was suffering for it. I am an early morning runner for a reason!! But I finished and then walked a further 3km afterwards. My knee is still stiff, but it's not pain, so it's okay. My half marathon is in 3 weeks!!!! (yikes!!) :astonished:

FABULOUS!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I'm checking in. Hubs left me a set of dinners (before leaving town for work), so I'm on track!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Lia, did you start the Insanity? The reception menu sounds great!

Karrie, great run!

Laura, what a thoughtful Mother's Day gift. That's great you had all that help with the yardwork.

I'm hanging in. Yesterday was not a good day at work. I brought some files home and was working until late. Hope today goes more smoothly.
  • liapr
    Options
    Sigh, I didn't start Insanity yet. Monday night I didn't get to go home so I didn't have the DVDs and last night I did a big grocery shop and food prep. I have no excuses tonight so I had better get to it. I'm actually super nervous!! I know it's going to be hard and I'm still baby-ing my back but I don't want to fall out of my good exercise habits.... wish me luck.

Mihani, how did yesterday go? Hope it was smoother as hoped. Have you been able to have your smoothies?

I would like to try a vegan stuffed peppers recipe tonight... mmm! I had a craving for them and I haven't made them in so long!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Sabine, your hubs is so sweet!

Lia, be careful of your back. Not worth getting yourself injured. How did your peppers turn out?

I have had a rotten couple of days. After working the entire weekend I went into this week feeling pretty good about things. I figured there was still a lot to do but that I had enough caught up that I had some hope. And then everything exploded, super busy and it's piling up again already. Then yesterday morning my car broke down. I had been putting off getting it in because who has time for that, and that procrastination cost me a tow to the shop.

Going to bed super early tonight.
  • liapr
    Options
    Oh no, Mihani... I wish you could just kinda quite your work life for awhile!! Sheesh. How bad is the car??

I have my honeymoon in Hawaii in July and I kinda think it would just be so nice to never come back! haha.

I tried my Insanity last night! I stuck with the modifier the whole time and it was definitely tough but not horrible. It went by quickly too! My back is a bit stiff today so I might just stick to walking on the treadmill tonight instead. It is funny how much of an 'upper' that exercise can be... I felt so confident in my food choices and myself after just one workout again! If only that feeling would last longer than a few hours lol.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Lia, it was the alternator, $400 for the repairs plus the tow. Ugh. I don't think I knew the honeymoon is going to be in Hawaii... how wonderful! Hope your back is feeling good.

This week has just sucked. My desk looks worse than it did last week, before I put in an 18 hour weekend. But for whatever reason I'm in a pretty decent mood. Maybe I've just lowered my expectations of what a good mood should feel like lol.

Off and on the starchy carbs, as usual. Not losing any weight, but not gaining any, and I am walking a bit. The weather has been delightful. Lunch with a friend tomorrow and the office on Sunday, big plans for the weekend. Still trying to figure out how to get that elusive balance.
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I am just now catching up with all of you after a crazy week of getting everything established with Hospice. We have had visits from the RN twice now, the Chaplain and the Social Worker, aka the Team. My mom got set up with the volunteer sitters (maximum 3 hour shift) and we have a retired RC priest coming to sit next Friday so she and I can go have a long relaxing lunch. This same priest has also kindly volunteered to come every other Tuesday afternoon for our regular nail appointment. Mom really enjoys that and was ready to remove her nails the other day out of frustration. I advised her to try to get back to as normal a routine as possible and she saw the sense in that. It is far healthier, I think. Anyway, my food choices were back to more animal and less veggie until yesterday. I was just so tired and not sleeping too well which affects everything no matter how you try not to let it influence you. I am carrying stress in my trapezius and it has been waking me up at night so this morning I popped some Ibuprofen and felt good enough to get back into my exercise and ETL food routine. That will help, I know. I was a bit irked with my mammer jammer green lunch smoothie yesterday; I popped up to a 186 on blood glucose, grrrr...I keep hoping that Furhman is right about having higher sugars at first...Does anyone here subscribe to his site? I am wondering if it is worth it. I just want to be able to grab a bowl of berries and nosh with no repercussions, you know?

Mihani- I am sorry about your poor car and the accompanying bill! I am also sorry you had a crummy week but with today being Friday, it is officially over soon. Enjoy your lunch tomorrow with your friend!

Lia-Hawaii, a place I have yet to visit. DH went there years ago but I really want to go. He even looked at jobs there last year. We are planning where to go to establish ourselves prior to retirement when the time is right. I don't want to move after retiring because I want to be part of the community.

NewMe- I am a bit envious of your garden! This house has too much shade and too many Black Walnut trees to grow anything other than in pots on my deck. I miss my garden! That is a huge requirement for our next house, though.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Zoot, glad to hear your mom is getting some relief, and that you were able to talk her into getting back into some normalcy. I had not heard about the higher sugars thing, is that in End of Diabetes? Haven't read that one. I subscribed to his site for a few months, and the info is definitely good, the articles and such. I didn't care for the forums though, not very welcoming. But to me the forums are not the main reason to join his site. I have you all here for my support. :) I dropped it just because I'm feeling very cheap lately due to a tight budget, and every time I get a bit solvent something (like a broken down car and the fact I have 3 senior animals in the house who keep running up my tab at the vet, and a younger dog who has periodic allergy attacks) happens and I'm broke again. Such is life!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Had a nice weekend. Lunch with a friend yesterday, we live a few hours apart so we meet a couple times a year halfway and have a long lunch. Today I was in the office most of the day, got some things done. Looking forward to the 3 day weekend that I can really get some catching up done. I am given to understand some people take 3 day weekends off. ;)

Things aren't going too well for me with diet/exercise. I seem to have 3 or 4 good days then 2 or 3 bad, and the end result is always the same. Perpetual maintenance. At a weight higher than I want to maintain. Stress is getting to me. I am really going to make exercise a priority this coming week. It helps so much with stress, just have to do it, doesn't matter what else needs to be done.
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Options
    Mihani, I think that The End of Diabetes is indeed the book that mentioned higher sugars at first. I am a bit too distracted to push and test it atm but I will soon. I just finished his End of Dieting and am now skimming Super Immunity. Thank goodness for the library because I would be annoyed if I had bought all of those volumes since they are largely redundant. Still, there are a few new nuggets here and there. Since they are free to read I read them all just to make sure. I also checked out The China Project, Whole and The Campbell Plan just to read the main source of Fuhrman's and Hyman's information. I like to be thorough.
    I'm glad you had a nice weekend :) . Do you work for yourself? You are in the office so much it seems. I agree with you wholeheartedly about needing to prioritize the exercise above all else. It is such a huge stress buster and if I miss a day I can tell. It took me a long time to see the value in that but I am with it now. Thanks for the input about Fuhrman's site. I was wondering about the Ask the Doctor part, too. I was going to present my unique? case of bumping glucose levels with some of this plant food (not potatoes). I keep plugging away and by golly if I have to walk 10 miles a day to keep my numbers down and off medicine while consuming only healthy food then so be it. I will do whatever it takes to do it my way B) .
  • Phoenix4me18
    Phoenix4me18 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Whew. Was there a weekend??? lol

Saturday we spent the entire day moving my little sister and her husband to their new home. It's a two hour drive to get to her, so, we left our house really early and didn't get back until about midnight. But, it was all worth it as we got every single thing moved, cleaned her old house and unpacked a lot at her new house. She had a whole gang of people yelling at her every time she tried to move anything, which, I think slightly annoyed her. My middle sister, mom and I all spent a lot of time feeling her baby belly hoping for some kicks or movement. I am so incredibly happy for her. Her life is about to change in so many incredible ways.

Sunday we spent the day running around doing all the grocery shopping and I realized when I am in full on ETL mode my fridge is filled to the gills. Crazy amount of produce was purchased this week. Planning to really tackle my dinner issues full on this week.

This week also marks my last 5 days of my (very likely) last MBA class. I have a 12 page paper due Friday and then I am done. I have to say, just the thought of not having to bang my head against the wall on this any more is lifting my mood. Which, I think is a huge sign of just how much I have been trying to force myself to do something I hate that may or may not benefit me in my company.

My daughter seems to be doing fine with her cast off. She has not had any pain over the weekend, so, we are going to try soccer practice and see how it goes. I am excited for her to go back, she has missed it immensely!

This Saturday my oldest son graduates High school with a graduation party to follow on Sunday. Just hoping to hold it together when he walks across that stage. I can't believe how fast the time has gone by. My little guy. Getting ready to embark on the next phase of his life.

I am hoping with every bone in my body that Memorial day can be a totally quiet day. I would love for a lot of quiet time on my deck, playing games with the kids, maybe even reading a "non-school" book. Fingers crossed that I pull that off.

Hope you all are well. Hopefully once I get through this last week of craziness I can be more engaged and active on the boards.