UGH STUCK IN NEUTRAL

Options

Replies

• jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I found some homeopathic herbal drops that I started using to sleep. It has Valerian and some other type of oil I think I can't remember right off. But I drink 12 drops it in small glass of water and sleep like a baby!
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I found some homeopathic herbal drops that I started using to sleep. It has Valerian and some other type of oil I think I can't remember right off. But I drink 12 drops it in small glass of water and sleep like a baby!

Jchrisman - where did you get them. I take sleeping pills but I always wake up once or twice during the night.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I went to my local health food store and asked the clerk working there and she recommended these for nighttime and an anxiety relief formula pill for the daytime. The daytime pills have something like Vit. D and other minerals that are good for stress support. I showed them both to my GYN Dr. and he said they were both great to use.
  • pwtaa
    pwtaa Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I hate that you all have to deal with this but I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I had lost almost 100lbs after a bought with Stage 4 canceer and maintained it for 4 years. I was then diagnosed with celiac disease and as soon as I learned to deal with that I move into this stage of my life and I'm craving sweets (I've never craved sweets before) and I have gained 20 lbs over the past 6 months. It's time to get back on track w/out thinking I'm going crazy. Can't take hormones because of the Cancer so I'm really hoping that you will all be a motivation for me.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    pwtaa wrote: »
    I hate that you all have to deal with this but I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I had lost almost 100lbs after a bought with Stage 4 canceer and maintained it for 4 years. I was then diagnosed with celiac disease and as soon as I learned to deal with that I move into this stage of my life and I'm craving sweets (I've never craved sweets before) and I have gained 20 lbs over the past 6 months. It's time to get back on track w/out thinking I'm going crazy. Can't take hormones because of the Cancer so I'm really hoping that you will all be a motivation for me.

Have you had Vitamin D checked? I recently (6 weeks ago?) found I was very deficient and doc put me on a huge daily dose. My cravings virtually disappeared, and suddenly my appetite closely matches an appropriate intake of calories! It has been so much easier to stay within my goals. Internet research (gold standard, right!?!) indicates that vitamin D is definitely a player in appetite and weight loss. Check it out if you have not. . . . .

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    My doctor said that carbs eaten should be complex carbs; as close as possible to natural state, and grains should be whole grains rather than refined. Whole wheat everything; avoid refined white flours and large amounts of sugars. She also said not to eat any carbs without also eating protein at the same time. Carbs alone can cause your energy level to crash because your blood sugar isn't as stable as if you eat protein with them. Things that take longer to digest are better: Fiber, Complex carbs, Proteins. Things that are low glycemic index are better. This is the sort of advice given to people with blood sugar issues but at the same time it will also help with the menopausal carb processing issues. Cravings go down with this style of eating as well.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    tigerblue wrote: »
    pwtaa wrote: »

Have you had Vitamin D checked? I recently (6 weeks ago?) found I was very deficient and doc put me on a huge daily dose. My cravings virtually disappeared, and suddenly my appetite closely matches an appropriate intake of calories! It has been so much easier to stay within my goals. Internet research (gold standard, right!?!) indicates that vitamin D is definitely a player in appetite and weight loss. Check it out if you have not. . . . .
    I'm back on the mega dose as well.
    I'm on a weekly mega dose.
    Second time in 10 years.
  • soontobefitt
    soontobefitt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I take 6 vitamins a day Vit B C D Glucosomine Choindroitin calcium and magnesium the Black Cohosh I have been taking for hot flashes and night sweats are not helping as much as I had hoped. I have sweet cravings usually as soon as I am finished dinner (like right after) weird. I have not been filling out my food journal as consistently as I should have been so I am back on track for that again...I have been taking longer walks with the dog and I plan to start a fairly regular exercise walk with him in the evenings. Maybe 3 nights a week and both days on the weekend as well as weight training the other 2 nights and weekends. What can I say if only I can be consistent instead of longing to be fit and at a healthy weight and actually get there....but the biggest change so far for May is that I have joined the Revolution Grey Challenge and I have chosen to stop dying my hair...Yep I am going to go grey so sick of dying and not getting the colour right. There is a facebook page if anyone is interested. I am into this for one month and have a nice grey stripe down the middle of my head but I don't care...I am not going back now.
    oh well back to work...
  • yorkshiregirl67
    yorkshiregirl67 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OMG ladies I have just read all recent posts and feel I am not alone. It's funny how you think you are the only one struggling with weight loss but great when you find out other people have the same issues. I really want to loose weight but struggle finding the energy and motivation to exercise. My diet is fairly healthy and I often eat under the recommended calories so I often get fed up with trying. Knowing that other people feel that way is motivating. Next week my goal is to exercise 5 times during the week, reduce my bread and potato intake lets see how I go with those simple goals.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    OMG ladies I have just read all recent posts and feel I am not alone. It's funny how you think you are the only one struggling with weight loss but great when you find out other people have the same issues. I really want to loose weight but struggle finding the energy and motivation to exercise. My diet is fairly healthy and I often eat under the recommended calories so I often get fed up with trying. Knowing that other people feel that way is motivating. Next week my goal is to exercise 5 times during the week, reduce my bread and potato intake lets see how I go with those simple goals.

Those are great goals. I find that when the scale creeps up a lower and slower carb diet (like South Beach) gets the scale to move back down. Are you getting sleep? It's so hard to exercise when you're not sleeping well.!
  • downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Good luck yorkshiregirl!
    I know I cant even have bread and potatoes in the house when I am trying to lose weight!
  • yorkshiregirl67
    yorkshiregirl67 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support yes I sleep well perhaps not enough, managed to exercise 4 times this week so far so I am feeling happy at that. Lets see what next week brings lol
  • getup25
    Options
    I started taking Vit E, Evening Primrose and a probiotic. I went up two pounds since I started and now I'm stuck. Anyone else experience this when starting new vitamins?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    getup25 wrote: »
    I started taking Vit E, Evening Primrose and a probiotic. I went up two pounds since I started and now I'm stuck. Anyone else experience this when starting new vitamins?

Weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you do everything right but maintain—or even gain. Others you lose a whole lot in a "whoosh."

Causation is not correlation—your gain has nothing to do with your supplements.

Have you read the Sexypants post? So much good "MFP 101" information: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • getup25
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

Weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you do everything right but maintain—or even gain. Others you lose a whole lot in a "whoosh."

Causation is not correlation—your gain has nothing to do with your supplements.

Have you read the Sexypants post? So much good "MFP 101" information: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Yes I do know that. This is a menopausal group and I wondered if anyone else had the same thing happen. I was hoping not to get your type of response in this group.

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited June 2015
    Options

Nope. I've been taking EPO for eons now and have never had an issue with the scale going up. I don't specifically take E, but I guess I'm not quite sure how it could cause the scale to go up.
  • getup25
    Options
    Thanks Sabine. I have no idea either. I was just wondering. I'm a bit frustrated at the moment.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I haven't added any new supplements lately and the scale goes up more randomly and especially about 2 weeks before a period starts.

The past week I have been having hot flashes during the day. So far they have been only at night and only a few days before my cycle starts. The worse one so far was during a workout I thought I was going to catch on fire I was so hot!

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I haven't added any new supplements lately and the scale goes up more randomly and especially about 2 weeks before a period starts.

The past week I have been having hot flashes during the day. So far they have been only at night and only a few days before my cycle starts. The worse one so far was during a workout I thought I was going to catch on fire I was so hot!

In the end a few dietary changes and a supplement with black cohosh and dong quai kept most of my day time and night time hot flashes under control. I was actually pleasantly surprised.

I'm using this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IMIFLM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

hot flashes in summer are not fun!

And yes, after many years of being able to predict day by day what fluctuations the scale will show, mine went utterly random for the last couple of years. The last two months it's been more cooperative again which is nice. But man, it can be frustrating!