Intermittent Fasting

Options
InADarkRoom
InADarkRoom Posts: 84 Member
Anyone do this? Does it help with weight loss? Do you literally only drink water? Can I run on a fasting day? Non consecutive days only?

I know that's a lot of questions but I'd really appreciate any info :smile:

Replies

• yayamo76
    yayamo76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have incorporated fasting into my week.. I do it twice a week and believe it or not it's really not so bad. I have lost 47 pounds and I think it's great for plateus. I usually try to keep the fasting days during my days that I work since weekends can be a bit more difficult to stay the course. I drink a lot of water, coffee (no half/half or anything that could add calories), tea and seltzer water.

If you are interested in doing a fast you should check out 'eat stop eat'
    http://www.eatstopeat.org
    http://www.eatstopeat.com
    http://jamesclear.com/the-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting

It's a good shock to the body and I feel like it makes me more alert. Good luck!
  • yayamo76
    yayamo76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh.. Forgot to mention, on days fast I do go and workout before I eat anything. You r body adjusts and I find I burn more and use more of my own body fat when I do workout on days I fast. I do Kettlebells.
  • InADarkRoom
    Options
    That's some really great information - thanks so much! :smile:
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    There are many different ways to fast. Some fast 12/12, 16/8, 18/6, or even 20/4! I try for at least 12/12, with a longer fast of 24-36 hrs once a week. My goal is to lower my insulin levels, which I understand is what not eating will do
    (https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/reverse-diabetes-naturally/)
    If you are on any medications, I would recommend seeing your doctor before undertaking a fast longer than 38-40 hours. If fasting works, you may be able to get off of many medications.
    I exercise when I fast, but I understand that it is best done toward the end of the fasting period for the best results.
    I drink water and non caloric drinks, but also drink broth if I need some sodium.
    Other folks on here do fat fasts, but I don't know much about that.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've incorporated IF a little into my diet. I usually skip breakfast on weekdays, and I have my first meal at 11:30 during my lunch break. I usually eat my last meal around 6:30 pm, so I end up fasting about 16 hrs which means I fit the rest of my food in a "feeding" period of about 8 hrs. I get up at 4:50, and workout before work. I will have coffee, water, and bcaa's after the workout. It isn't that bad when you think about it as just skipping breakfast. Since starting it, I've noticed more movement in the scale, but I changed too many things at once to really credit the IF. It's about finding what works for you and making it fit your life. Don't be afraid to experiment! Good luck!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I do daily 16:8 with a 24 hour maybe every 5 weeks or so and a 40 hour every couple months.

I drink water, black coffee, and tea during the fast. No broth. Sometimes some BCAA's pre-workout.

I like the daily shortened eating window version of IF because it's less time I'm spending in the kitchen doing prep and cleaning, also since I'm fitting a day's worth of calories in less time my meals get to be bigger. :)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Can I run on a fasting day?

You should try this. It will boost your ketone level and burn some fat. I feel energized during a fasted run. Because of the large ketones and your sweat, you can lose a lot of sodium, so load up on sodium both before and after the run.
  • InADarkRoom
    Options
    Thanks so much guys, this is great :smile:
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any solid food until at least 11am or later most days. I do drink 8-16oz of coffee with 1-2 tbsp hwc prior to that. I generally don't eat after about 7pm, so you could call what I do 16:8 fasting, though under certain circumstances I will eat in the morning and skip lunch (usually when out of town at kids' sporting events).
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I can eat about all I want at any hour and maintain but to lose it works out best when I eat last at 5 PM. Breakfast is more like 7 AM with a low carb lunch.
  • jennygalt
    jennygalt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I pretty much do 12/12 every day, BUT, I usually have a "bulletproof coffee" in the morning around 9/10am. (That's coffee mixed with a Tbsp of pure MCT oil.) Highly recommend! But my question is, do you count it as fasting still when you're adding a dollop of oil to your coffee? In any case it works well for me. I am able to stave off hunger up until noon or even 2pm sometimes. Then I have a hearty low carb lunch, and later a hearty low carb dinner. I usually stop eating around 10pm.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I start eating somewhere around 2-7 pm, depending on my day. Most often 2pm. I don't count the hours. Cause there's no need to stress more than necessary :)

Sometimes I do longer semi-fasts of 500 kcal/day from 1-3 days, this has shown to be the most effective stall breaker for ME.

I tried BPC, they stall me and I don't need them for hunger feeling anyway.

@jennygalt. BPC breaks the fast calorie wise. Puts your body in fed state, thereby giving it «easy» calories to digest and burn. As long as you give the body food, it will hardly burn any STORED fat. This is one of the reasons constant snacking/grazing also is counterproductive to fat loss.

BUT, if YOU can shed weight doing BPC and feel it makes «fasting» easier, then why not. Do what works for YOU :) For most people compliance trumps details. Overall deficit is still probably the most important factor to keep in check.