I'm struggling to lose weight - problems with binging, any help?

Options
Jennym93
Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
I lost 9lbs and I've gained some of it back.
Low carb seemed to have good results and was nice to do, better than low calorie but I'm failing so often, I keep having binges on the worst food like cakes and chocolate and intense cravings, just having the food around me is hard and not having it in the house is not an option unfortunately. I'm not normally hungry when I eat it either, I just crave it and end up eating it.
I just don't know how to stop eating, I find myself binging without thinking.
I am a really fussy eater, I don't like many vegetables, I'm not a huge fruit fan either.
I just want to eat all the time and I can never decide what to eat, meal plans don't work cause I'm so picky.
I have 30lbs to lose, preferably by september/october time.
This is getting me down and I don't want to be this size when I get into Uni, I need to get it off and keep it off
Any advice?

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Well, stop binging and cheating on your diet. You can't get the results you want without putting in the work.

Edit: Fruits and vegetables aren't important. Don't eat them, if you don't like them. Not liking them really isn't an excuse. If you can't find something appropriate to your diet that you want to eat, don't eat.
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I have to agree with Fit_Goat. If you keep giving in to the cravings and binging you wont get there. You are a sugar addict(as we all were,lol) and you have to break the addiction. Do it without cheating for 2-3 weeks and you will find you dont even fancy them any longer BUT you need to do it honestly! Concentrate on the foods you do like and can enjoy on this WOE and not on what you cant have!!
    You say you want to eat all the time....do you mean you are hungry all the time or, because you consider you are being deprived, you want what you cant have??? If its true hunger then eat something fatty, if its because you feel you are being deprived...look in the mirror and see those 30lbs you want to lose. If you can see a dress design...you can see you 30lbs lighter and think about that!!!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    The longer you go without any slips, the easier it gets. But, it can take a long time for some people to really stop craving carbs. The horrible truth is that there's no secret and no trick to stop them except time and avoidance. It's not easy. If it was easy, everyone would do it and no one would relapse and put weight back on.
  • Jennym93
    Options
    jumanajane wrote: »
    I'm afraid I have to agree with Fit_Goat. If you keep giving in to the cravings and binging you wont get there. You are a sugar addict(as we all were,lol) and you have to break the addiction. Do it without cheating for 2-3 weeks and you will find you dont even fancy them any longer BUT you need to do it honestly! Concentrate on the foods you do like and can enjoy on this WOE and not on what you cant have!!
    You say you want to eat all the time....do you mean you are hungry all the time or, because you consider you are being deprived, you want what you cant have??? If its true hunger then eat something fatty, if its because you feel you are being deprived...look in the mirror and see those 30lbs you want to lose. If you can see a dress design...you can see you 30lbs lighter and think about that!!!

No I'm hardly ever hungry, I just eat out of habit, boredom, sadness or because I think I'm hungry, I don't want the food but my brain just nags at me until the food is gone
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I have to wonder if you're getting enough fat? Maybe ignore the scale for a few weeks and try allowing yourself to eat what you want so long as it is high fat, moderate protein, and low carb. My other idea may not pertain to you and I hope you don't find offense. A lot of MY binge eating was related to past trauma + current stressors. Are you eating your feelings? If so, you MIGHT consider counseling. It's helped me out considerably with the binging. In my experience binging is usually related to one of two things 1) not getting enough nutrients and/or 2) emotions.
  • Jennym93
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    I have to wonder if you're getting enough fat? Maybe ignore the scale for a few weeks and try allowing yourself to eat what you want so long as it is high fat, moderate protein, and low carb. My other idea may not pertain to you and I hope you don't find offense. A lot of MY binge eating was related to past trauma + current stressors. Are you eating your feelings? If so, you MIGHT consider counseling. It's helped me out considerably with the binging. In my experience binging is usually related to one of two things 1) not getting enough nutrients and/or 2) emotions.

Probably a bit of both, I've always eaten when I felt low, it stopped for a while when I was on fluoxetine and I managed to lose a fair bit of weight but it doesn't seem to have the same effect any more
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    @sugarbeat.......I totally agree about the emotional causes of binging. Loneliness, boredom, whatever that have created the habit. Jenny, you mention sadness yourself so there must be something in that which you recognise yourself! Its very easy to say change the habit but I know from personal experience it isnt but you can learn coping mechanisms to compensate instead of eating. Lol, dont ask me what though as they are personal to all of us..what may work for me may not work for you. Try and find something that YOU really like that can be swopped for just eating! Dancing around the living room, screaming, singing at the top of your voice or crushing ice cubes,lolol. Have fun finding it!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Jennym93 wrote: »

Probably a bit of both, I've always eaten when I felt low, it stopped for a while when I was on fluoxetine and I managed to lose a fair bit of weight but it doesn't seem to have the same effect any more

Perhaps try eating LCHF and when the need to binge rises practice taking a moment to just assess how you feel. Does it feel physical? If so you may simply need to eat a bit more fat, or it could be a need for sodium. If it doesn't feel physical than it's most likely emotional. If counseling is something you can't do, maybe try journaling? Even if you give and binge find a way to discover the root of the issue.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I agree with everyone here and think the most important thing here is you're going to have to commit and it's gonna suck... for a while. My 'whithdrawl" was BRUTAL!! It lasted 4 days and I thought I would literally die. Seriously. AFter the 4 days... it wasn't EASY but it was easy-er. And now, 3 months in, it's easy. And I know that nagging 'thing' telling you to eat 24/7. I have memories of eating, and crying because I couldn't stop myself from eating!! I felt posessed!

So my advice:

#1 Suck it up in the pickiness department. You have to find things on your "allowable" list and stick to them. If they're not on the list, don't eat'em.

#2 Commit fully, no matter what, no excuses to #1 If you really want it, you will find a way, if not, you will find an excuse.

#3 Make a plan. How are you going to deal, especially the first week when it's rough, when that nagging feeling is screaming so loud you can't focus on anything else, when you're bored, when you're sad? What kind of self talk are you going to use. Separate yourself from the feeling, it will pass. The first week is a real mental game.

#4 Make sure you have a realistic meal plan approach. What are your macros, your goals. And if you're truly doing LCHF make sure you're eating HF!! If you're hit your macros and you just HAVE to eat, add fat.

#5 Know that you are going to have to stay hyper aware of your body, listen to it and make changes on the fly when you realize something isn't working. There is no magic pill, one size fits all. Yeah, you know those clothes I'm taling about... one size fits NOBODY.

And finally, give yourself a break. No I don't mean a kit-kat. I mean a mental break. Don't be so rough on yourself. It is what it is and you're working to change it. There's nothing inherently wrong with you as a person. Your body signals are just all messed up and it's going to take a bit to sort them out. It will be rough for a while and nobody else will understand or throw you a parade or even pat you on the back. You have to do it for you. But you know what? You can. Just jump in. Trust the process. Learn about the WOE and your body. And never, ever look back!

You got this!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything said above, but I would add - you don't have to jump in at extreme levels. Starting at a higher level and adjusting down is perfectly reasonable. Nothing says that you have to have a lower number of carbs for better health. Maybe your perfect number of carbs is higher than mine. You are quite young, and I know you have outlying health conditions, and that one in particular puts all of your hormones out of whack. Maybe for a bit, you need to focus on balancing out your hormones, because as women, we consistently get smacked upside the head by our hormones, causing binges, triggers, overeating, and all manner of insanity... But we can override that thinking. Eventually. But at first you have to to make the choice. If this is really important to you, you need to stick other thoughts in your head. When that cake calls to you, think of the most distasteful thing you can think of. Imagine worms crawling in it. Imagine it filled with ex-lax or poison (because that really is what carbs are to you). Go brush your teeth or chew some gum that leaves a blech taste in your mouth. Chocolate tastes terrible right after brushing your teeth. Find something to keep your mouth busy. Take up reading. Or any time the craving strikes, go for a walk. Get more bacon. Every time you want a sweet, eat some bacon. Or chug a water bottle. If your stomach is borderline uncomfortably full, you can't eat more or you'll end up throwing up or feeling really sick. You can defeat the insanity of your brain, but it is hard work...

And like they said, you have to work on the you in your head and heart....once that you is on board, the other things get easier. You have to find what works for you, and some aspect of what you are trying to do right now isn't working. Figure out what part isn't working and change that.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    How long have you been LC? I am now 3 1/2 weeks in and my desire to binge is almost at 0. The first two weeksthere is no doubt in my mind I would have binged had it now been for my friends on MFP. The longer you stick to plan, the less desire to binge you'll feel. And just to put things into perspective....I've had a binge eating disorder for half of my life....and I am only 33. You can do it. Set your mind and heart to it and go for it. You'll feel amazing.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Check out Phosphatidyl Serine. I've been using it for dealing with stress and anxiety for a while and it's quite effective. It's a naturally derived supplement that helps reduce cortisol levels (note: it can interfere with antidepressants, so make sure to do some research on it if you're still taking the Fluoxetine to make sure there's no interference, and maybe talk to your doctor about trying something else if it seems the Fluoxetine isn't working). It might help you deal with the binge eating long enough to cement your dietary changes and let them take over.

If you are still taking the Fluoxetine, consider looking into Inositol. Inositol itself has been known to help with various anxiety/depression/OCD issues, and has been known to augment some medications. From what I've seen, it shouldn't interact negatively with the Fluoxetine, at least.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of great advice here, so I don't rehash it. But I will add, every time you 'cheat' you are delaying the day when you just look at the carbs and don't care anymore. For me, at <120g carbs per day (that's total, not net), it was impossible not to want to binge on carbs. At <30g per day, it suddenly was a breeze. At work people bring in cakes and pastries and candy and I can walk past them without even considering a bite. When I get home there are all sorts of carby foods available but I don't even see them as food anymore.

You are torturing yourself by forcing yourself through the DT phase over and over again. When it sucks, that's when you need to commit even HARDER to stick with it, because that's the only way you'll get there.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I keep having binges on the worst food like cakes and chocolate and intense cravings, just having the food around me is hard and not having it in the house is not an option unfortunately.

Stop buying cakes and chocolate to avoid the triggers and cravings. If you keep surrounding yourself with wrong food you will never get rid of the craving and will alway wanting to eat it. Out of sight - Out of mind!

Why is it not an option not to have it in the house??? That's just an excuse, there is absolutely no need to have junk laying around. Get rid of it, clean up and start each day as a new day. Eat something else, work out, go for a walk, stop thinking about junk and think about why you started to begin with.
    If you really want to achieve something, you will have to turn things around and work on it. You're the only one who will rip the benefits or pay the consequences.

Good luck!

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    IIRC, I believe she lives in a household with three or more other people who are the ones buying the groceries.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »
    You've gotten a lot of great advice here, so I don't rehash it. But I will add, every time you 'cheat' you are delaying the day when you just look at the carbs and don't care anymore. For me, at <120g carbs per day (that's total, not net), it was impossible not to want to binge on carbs. At <30g per day, it suddenly was a breeze. At work people bring in cakes and pastries and candy and I can walk past them without even considering a bite. When I get home there are all sorts of carby foods available but I don't even see them as food anymore.

You are torturing yourself by forcing yourself through the DT phase over and over again. When it sucks, that's when you need to commit even HARDER to stick with it, because that's the only way you'll get there.

I completely agree with this - go lower and lower carb as that is when it gets a lot easier.

• SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    My advice for what it's worth is this:

When I go LCHF I give myself and induction phase which helps SO much.

I eat only LCHF foods... And I eat as much as I like of them. Want 3 plates of veggies? Go for it. Want a kilo of nuts? Not a problem. 3 burger patties with cheese? Yum yum.

Allowing yourself to eat as much as you want of good foods takes your brain away from that scary deprivation place. Your appetite naturally decreases so you find it virtually impossible to binge anyway and by the end of a week (or loads less) you are ready to reduce calories.

I also do this when I have a 'need to quit' moment - give myself permission to go crazy but only on approved foods. It only ever lasts a meal.
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    a lot of people think they eat out of boredom, but it could be something more. I am an emotional eater. I eat when I am anxious, stressed out or angry for the most part. what else could be triggering your desire to stuff your face? Give it some thought.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    GSD_Mama wrote: »
    I keep having binges on the worst food like cakes and chocolate and intense cravings, just having the food around me is hard and not having it in the house is not an option unfortunately.

Stop buying cakes and chocolate to avoid the triggers and cravings. If you keep surrounding yourself with wrong food you will never get rid of the craving and will alway wanting to eat it. Out of sight - Out of mind!

Why is it not an option not to have it in the house??? That's just an excuse, there is absolutely no need to have junk laying around. Get rid of it, clean up and start each day as a new day. Eat something else, work out, go for a walk, stop thinking about junk and think about why you started to begin with.
    If you really want to achieve something, you will have to turn things around and work on it. You're the only one who will rip the benefits or pay the consequences.

Good luck!

@GSD_Mama She still lives at home with her parents and they buy it for themselves and her brother. They refuse to be more friendly to her way of eating because they don't feel it is healthy.

They keep trying to force her to eat more veggies (corn and such, yeah...) and want her to eat their way even though she suffers PCOS and likely insulin resistance. They still buy into old school, and in their love and protection of her, they're a bit misguided... She's working on convincing them to consider something else, but her medical team isn't overly helpful either. They flat out refused to do an insulin test because "she isn't diabetic."
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Well this is a crappy situation. How old is OP? Does she have an income to buy some of her own foods? If over 18 and with an income - I say do whatever you want and ignore them - they will get used to it when they see the results.