Motivation needed- How much have you lost so far?

Options

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Before Low Carb
    wuec85ex2agv.png

This is not even at my heaviest. It's just where I was before low-carb. Somewhere between 87-92 kg (190-200 lbs) in this photo. I don't know for sure. I did gain more before starting low carb. I started at 92.5 kg. My heaviest was around 105 kg (230 pounds).

After Low Carb
    rfnukqqnp97r.jpg

This was a few months back, at Epcot. I was around 71-72 kg (156-158 lbs) at that date. My total loss on low carb had been around 22 kg (48 pounds). I'm still trending downwards but not actively trying to lose more.

I hope this isn't creepy, but looking at your photo, I have such a hard time seeing how you could possibly fall in the overweight category of BMI. Stupid thing.

• miche173
    miche173 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started in February 2015, and am down 38 pounds. I still have 42 more to go, but it definitely feels doable. I have been eating under 20g net carbs, mostly from vegetables. I have had some celebration days where I enjoyed dessert, and that was worth it:).
    I have so much more energy, that's the main benefit. I am pre-diabetic, so it's great for my numbers!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I hope this isn't creepy, but looking at your photo, I have such a hard time seeing how you could possibly fall in the overweight category of BMI. Stupid thing.

Yeah, I know. That's why I don't worry too much about it. According to the scale, I am at a 26.7-27.0 in that photo. Of course, keep in mind, that before 1998 the cutoff for being overweight, for men was a BMI of 28. That means, I wouldn't have been considered overweight back then. The cutoff used to be 27 for women, in case anyone is wondering. It's also why getting to 74 kg was my original goal. That put me into the "old" healthy range. It was also below my lightest weight (75 kg) doing a calorie-restricted diet.

Even my doctor, who gave me a little bit of hell about my diet and a big packet of "healthy eating" information prefaced her lecture with, "I am not saying you are fat or that you need to lose any weight, but you could make healthier choices."
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

Yeah, I know. That's why I don't worry too much about it. According to the scale, I am at a 26.7-27.0 in that photo. Of course, keep in mind, that before 1998 the cutoff for being overweight, for men was a BMI of 28. That means, I wouldn't have been considered overweight back then. The cutoff used to be 27 for women, in case anyone is wondering. It's also why getting to 74 kg was my original goal. That put me into the "old" healthy range. It was also below my lightest weight (75 kg) doing a calorie-restricted diet.

Even my doctor, who gave me a little bit of hell about my diet and a big packet of "healthy eating" information prefaced her lecture with, "I am not saying you are fat or that you need to lose any weight, but you could make healthier choices."

It's funny, my husband, who is quite fit (but definitely a carb man), hovers right at the cusp of "overweight" BMI. Looking at him, the idea is very laughable.
  • adamthompson2006
    adamthompson2006 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    137 days in 49 lbs down.
  • me_ona_diet
    me_ona_diet Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Started April 2 at 326, now weighing 297, for 29lbs in 2 months. Also noticed the way my clothes fit, more positive attitude and energy :)
  • Bebe6740
    Bebe6740 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This is all amazing stuff!!

One more question- do you all also count calories, and if so what is your calorie intake??

Thanks again,
    Marilyn
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Bebe6740 wrote: »

One more question- do you all also count calories, and if so what is your calorie intake??

Thanks again,
    Marilyn

I do not pay attention to calories. I eat when i am hungry and i eat gow much i want. I only know how much i take in because mfp logs them. Most days i am over 1200 some days i am just not very hungry.
  • Bebe6740
    Options
    I have set MFP to 1860.. Some days I'm unde some right on, some over by 150... I don't think I could eat 1200 cals!! Lol
  • moonius
    moonius Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Started Atkins in 2008 at 380, lost 40 pounds. Restarted July 2014 on keto and now I weigh 271.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options

Thanks again,
    Marilyn

I don't count at all. I used to track, without restricting. And, a while ago, I did track for over 30 days for a friend (to show him what my eating really looked like). I average around 2500-2600 calories a day. But, it doesn't matter. Calories are interesting in the sense that they are countable. They're not interesting in the sense that they matter.

The one important measurement is change_in_weight over time (where time is longer than a couple weeks). If that measurement is looking good (negative and with a high enough magnitude for most of you), then there's nothing to worry about when it comes to calories.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    moonius wrote: »
    Started Atkins in 2008 at 380, lost 40 pounds. Restarted July 2014 on keto and now I weigh 271.

Woohoo!!! That's over 100 pounds!

That's freaking awesome.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 1600.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options

Thanks again,
    Marilyn

I use a keto calc. I'm almost 5'10" and I've counted cals since the 3rd month. I'm currently at 1600, but I'm a little more lax about them on weekends.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    4 months in, 7.5 lbs lost, nearly 14 inches. More importantly I've lost the inflammation in my knees and feet (making my heel spurs much more manageable), the daily fear of my BG levels tanking out, the inability to spend a day out with my family out of fear of the BG levels (I used to get nervous going to the grocery store alone and downright scared to go after work). I'll take the slow scale loss if means I gain more quality of life.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Thanks again,
    Marilyn

I count. When I don't count, I gain, because regardless of what some people want to believe, CICO DOES matter, whether you're aware of the numbers or not. It's incredibly easy to have your numbers slowly creep up just by not measuring things like butter and cream, and before you know it, you're eating 500 calories above maintenance, while still fully in keto.
  • moonius
    moonius Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    @FIT_Goat : Thanks for the props Goat.
    @Bebe6740 : I still track my food but not religiously. My daily goals are 2000 calories, 70% fat, 25% protein, 5% carbohydrates.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    45 yo, started (again) 27 days ago at 267.4, today I am 250.8. I am not tired when I am on LCHF and off insulin, nor am I hungry all of the time. I lift weights 3x a week, doing 2 minutes of 90% HR cardio in between each exercise. MY BG was 116 this morning, with Met only. I set myself to 1780 calories, 30g carb, 140g fat and about 90g protein, give or take. I weigh and measure everything so that I learn what the correct size is, but I'm not afraid to go over my calories because I am hungry. I've also learned to listen to my body, and when it says "stop eating" I stop, even if there is only 1 bite left.

I originally started in Jan 2014 at 287.8, and my lowest recorded weight, on June 16th, was 227.4. Then I had surgery, recovery and other RL stressors, gave up and regained 40 pounds. Now Im back :)
  • Bebe6740
    Options
    So inspiring!!!

Can't wait to read some more!

Marilyn
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I've stopped counting calories but will count again when I hit a plateau. So far I haven't gone more than a week without a change on lbs or inches.