Talking about carbs...

Options
13»

Replies

• MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm sure cooking veggies with olive oil would do it too- I usually buy the steamable bags of veggies.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of eating too much fruit and nuts and not enough meats and veggies. Most of my fat comes from nuts though. How do you get more fat without eating nuts? High fat meats?

Fatty cuts of meats, cooking and dressing things in oils or ghee/butter (if you do dairy), cheese (if you do dairy), avocados...
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Last time I checked most cities have farmers markets.

I check them frequently because I live in the city. At least I used to check them. I don't anymore because my time is valuable and walking two to three miles to the farmers market only to see the same nonsense that has little to do with what might actually be available at a real farm is a time waster in my opinion. This has been the case in my area during the 30 years that I've been checking out these markets, which is the same band of 'farm' employees that tour the state, going town to town, year after year in the spring and summer months.

Grass fed meats, raw dairy, wild caught fish and hippie eggs are not for sale at the markets near me. Half of the produce sold at these markets is not organic and isn't even grown at the 'farm' that's being represented at the farmers market. The produce is priced below the grocery stores because obviously there's less overhead.

The crown jewels at the famers markets near me are home baked (allegedly) goods like bread, pies, cakes and cookies. Funny thing is they have labels with nutritional info, a corporate looking ingredient list and bar scanners on them. Doesn't matter to me though. They aren't paleo anyway.

When my health starts suffering from shopping at regular old grocery stores and buying mass produced food by run of the mill profiteers, I'll take notice and make whatever adjustments I have to.

Luckily I don't have any metabolic conditions according to the results of my blood tests, biopsies and medical examinations. I understand that, despite me carrying more than 100 lbs. of extra weight for 20 years, not having any doctor diagnosed metabolic conditions is a God-send and provides more leeway when it comes to my paleo food choices.

Akima, I like the idea of recording every penny spent. I've often thought of doing that and I find your example inspiring! I'm sure it would be an eye opener.

I hear what you are saying. One suggestion I might make it to check the Weston A. Price Foundation website. They can really help with finding grassfed meat, raw dairy, etc, whereever you are. It's at least worth a shot. Sometimes it's as easy as getting a phone number to the right person and you could arrange reasonably priced pick up or delivery of fantastic healthy foods.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I'm guilty of eating too much fruit and nuts and not enough meats and veggies. Most of my fat comes from nuts though. How do you get more fat without eating nuts? High fat meats?

Fatty cuts of meats, cooking and dressing things in oils or ghee/butter (if you do dairy), cheese (if you do dairy), avocados...

BP coffee (not doing butter because of AIP, so just add 2TBS coconut oil to my morning cup these days), fat bombs (for me, coconut oil and carob powder, with a little vanilla -- when I'm not doing strict AIP, I'll go back to raw cacao instead of carob). Olives. Olive oil in homemade salad dressing. Vegetables roasted with coconut oil or duck fat. I used to slather steamed vegetables with butter or ghee, but since I'm off dairy at present, I pour really good olive oil over my veggies now. And I eat at least one whole avocado every day.