Lean ground beef vs Regular

Options
2»

Replies

• me_ona_diet
    me_ona_diet Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how much volume I might lose with a higher fat ground, didn't think about cooking with the fat though. I need to start saving my bacon grease!
  • ChairmanWow
    ChairmanWow Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I save the beef fat, but I haven't used it for anything for human consumption. My dog, however, is feeling very spoiled. Do you all save it just like bacon grease? I strain my bacon grease through a coffee filter to remove any of the little bacon pebbles. Not because I'm opposed to bacon pebbles but just because I had read that rancidity is much slower if you strain first. Does anyone do that with the beef fat?
  • me_ona_diet
    Options
    How long do people keep their bacon etc fat? Do you refrigerate?
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I buy the fattier one. It's a LOT cheaper here - half the price and it tastes a lot better too.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I never drain my burger meat. The greasy beef soup is the best. Sometimes I'll let it chill a bit, so the fat is thicker and easier to get all of.

Bacon fat, I pour into a jar and refrigerate. I haven't been going through as much of it as normal because I have been grilling a lot more often. But, I cook with it whenever I put anything on the stove in a pan.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    We've been buying at least 80/20 or fattier, but I wonder if it is really the best bang for your buck. I browned 3 pounds of 75/25 the other week and weighed it after I drained it, the result being only 2 pounds of ground beef. 1/3 of the price lost in water and rendered fat. So that leads me to wonder if leaner ground beef makes more sense, but then adding back in fats afterwards (i.e. mayo, sour cream, butter, etc).

I drain mine out a bit when making taco meat and stuff when it is more brown than pink. The rest that renders out becomes part of the taco sauce! I find that when I use 73/27 (which is mostly all I buy anymore unless I catch something else on better sale), the 1/2 ratio is a bit much for me and my fiance who is not LCHF... So I do the "half drain" and it works out well.
  • yeswehave8
    yeswehave8 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Nope, I still cannot get past the extra crap in there (like the gristle *shudder*) and it has to be at least 80/20... and that is usually for grilling or meatloaf. I tend to buy grass fed beef (local) or ground bison, which are all very lean. I just use bacon grease to cook it all in and it has a great taste, too.

We have lots of bacon grease. Because my kitchen has been staying warm (back door), I have started to refrigerate it again.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    yeswehave8 wrote: »
    Nope, I still cannot get past the extra crap in there (like the gristle *shudder*) and it has to be at least 80/20... and that is usually for grilling or meatloaf. I tend to buy grass fed beef (local) or ground bison, which are all very lean. I just use bacon grease to cook it all in and it has a great taste, too.

We have lots of bacon grease. Because my kitchen has been staying warm (back door), I have started to refrigerate it again.

Yeah, if I could get my hands on affordable grass fed and local products, I'd be right there with you!

But I don't know what it is anymore, but I don't have the gristle or anything like it when I buy the ten pound bulk I buy regularly...
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If I have to drain the meat, as for tacos or what cooks out of meatballs, I always save what's left. It's not exactly water, you're getting a pretty nicely flavoured light beef broth out of it that is fabulous when you just add it to other recipes. It never lasts more than a few days in the fridge so I don't worry about straining or anything, the sediment always drops to the bottom and I am left with creamy white fat on top of the broth. I love sautéing vegetables in beef fat more than bacon fat because I think the taste is richer and (gasp) I am not always up for bacon flavour unless it's #$&*(# BACON FLAVOUR. No wimpy bacon flavours for me!
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    ct95vvzlk70t.jpg

This is an old picture, and it has melted cheese mixed in, but that's how I like my grease. Totally undrained. Makes for an awesome meal. LOL
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    How would I log my burgers, I messed up and lost all my fat because I did them on the George foreman so now I don't think my logging will be accurate :(
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    How would I log my burgers, I messed up and lost all my fat because I did them on the George foreman so now I don't think my logging will be accurate :(

Trying to account for the lost grease will just drive you bonkers. Assume it's all in there and don't be afraid of going a little high on the "reported" calories, if you're still hungry.
  • me_ona_diet
    Options
    Lol, have to say that's a *little* more greasy than I like. Maybe someday, but right now that still makes me shudder hehe
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    ct95vvzlk70t.jpg

This is an old picture, and it has melted cheese mixed in, but that's how I like my grease. Totally undrained. Makes for an awesome meal. LOL

• ChairmanWow
    ChairmanWow Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Made taco meat last night. Did not drain. Was delicious. I stand both chastened and enlightened.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Hey, we love serving chicken in its own juices and even call it medicinal. ;)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    ct95vvzlk70t.jpg

Dude, spoon, not fork. :open_mouth:

Carnivore cereal, right there. Breakfast of champions. :D
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Ok then. Making taco meat tonight. Mine's gonna look just like @FIT_Goat's. :)