Leslie Sansone June 2015 Walk Challenge

Options
texasgardnr
texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
WELCOME to all walkers!

Oh my, June is here already :o !! It seems unbelievable that we are almost halfway through 2015. It is time to start a another new monthly challenge! Soon Summer fun will be here B) !

Having Leslie's, or other walking DVDs, to pop in the player continues to be a great alternative to walking outdoors. Because of the warmer weather walking or hiking outdoors will be a pleasant alternative to the DVDs for those who enjoy getting their miles or minutes outdoors. Especially after the long winter or extra rain we just had.

This group is open to any and all walkers. The majority of us use Leslie Sansone Walk At Home DVD workouts, as well as those great walks or hikes outside on the trails or pathways that are available to us, or a walk in our neighborhood, and on the treadmill, as well as other Walking DVDs. All of these many options count toward our miles and minutes. However you get your walk in, come on in and join us! Post your miles or minutes that you have walked, however you did it... it is all good!

We are a happy, supportive group, and I promise that joining this walk challenge will motivate, challenge, as well as inspire you!

Set your goal for how many miles or minutes that you want to walk, indoors or out, this month. This is your own personal goal :star:. Post your results daily, weekly, or whenever you like.

If you find this challenge in the middle of the month it doesn't matter which day of the month that you join in. Just set your goals to reflect what you want to walk for the remaining days in the month. You are always welcome :) !
So if you are new to the group please feel free to start today so that by the end of the month you will be that much closer to your health goals. It is never too late to join in

Tie up those walking shoes and get some water, and let's start walking :smile: !

It is always fun to read which DVD, whether Leslie or another instructor, that you used. Or whatever form your walk took, whether outdoors or on the treadmill or anything in between. We all could use some new inspiration sometimes, or inquiring minds sometimes just want to know . So please share if you would care to :p . (pretty please ;) )

Come on in and let us start walking the Monthly Walk Challenge together. I know that I say this each month but I am truly grateful for each one of our precious walkers who continue to inspire and motivate mile by mile, and step by step, each month.
I know that we are all excited to see our long time faithful walking friends o:) join us for yet another amazing month together, and we are awaiting the opportunity to welcome newcomers to this month's Walk Challenge!

And now... let us lace up those walking shoes and get our water... and we will begin to walk into June of 2015!

texasgardnr :flowerforyou:

Replies

• curlytoes79
    curlytoes79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi~ I'm new to the group. Was working out with Jillian Michaels until I got shin splints...recovered from that but then tweaked my knee. So I'm back to low-impact stuff. I've been doing one of Leslie's 3-mile walks that's available on youtube. My goal is 10,000 steps a day (for my fitbit) and to do a proper walking workout 5x a week. :-)
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I am not going to set a specific goal this month, other than to try and get at least 3 miles in each day either using Leslie or from my Garmin tracker. Even with the surgery, that is not too much and I have to get in mountain climbing shape! :laugh: I also have to see my cute surgeon on June 16 and I do not want to have to explain any additional pounds now do I! :noway: See everyone in June!

Walk Strong Everyone! :bigsmile:
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm in for June. I am aiming for 100 miles and I hesitate because I am taking care of both my grandsons and I have no idea how many hours a day or night this will entail. Walk, walk,walk!
    6/100 I was able to walk 6 miles at the park this morning.
  • bgoddess2003
    bgoddess2003 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I don't think I want to put a number on how many miles I think I will walk it stresses me out if I don't make it so I will just keep a tab of what I did instead.

Today 6/1 I have done 5 miles in total, yay. lol I started off by doing the fast burn video =3 miles, followed up by the dance video I did 2 of the 3 miles.

Total: 5 miles :p
  • forubugs
    forubugs Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am also new here, I am going to set my miles at 100 for the month
    this morning I did walk away the pounds 2 miles
    2/100
  • lreutner
    lreutner Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm setting my goal at 55 miles this month.
    I did 2 miles of the Ultimate 5 Day Plan this morning.
  • 1jlazymom
    1jlazymom Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for 60 miles this month. So glad to be able to walk outside. 3.0 miles today good to be back at it. Wishing success to all
  • texasgardnr
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Welcome curlytoes79 (hope that you recover soon) and forubugs to June's monthly challenge! It is always great to have new walkers join in the group :) .

Good plan for June zichab. Absolutely, you do not want to be explaining any extra pounds to your surgeon, especially a cute one at that ;) .

PinkyPan, you will undoubtedly be getting a lot of additional exercise one way or the other whenever you have your grands o:) . And you will be busy making many memories for and with them while they are in your care!!

bgoddess, just keep it fun and don't stress yourself out with picking a certain number of miles. Making such goals do not always work well for some people or during certain seasons of one's life. Make other commitments to yourself like how many times a week you want to walk/ workout if that works for you. Or just keep it simple and keep tabs as you do a walk, like you wrote. These challenges are very personal to each one of us. That is the beauty of walking together while we do it in ways that work for us as individuals. You go girl!!

Whenever I log in at the beginning of a new month it always makes me very happy to see our faithful walkers coming back for another month's challenge <3 . Y'all are awesome!!

Hugs :flowerforyou:,
    texasgardnr

• texasgardnr
    Options
    Monday (June first) Walk Slim 3 fast Miles

My goal: is to workout or walk at least 5 x a week.

So far: 3 Leslie/ or other walking DVD miles

So far: 0 outdoor minutes (in the neighborhood or in a park)

So far: 60 minutes of therapeutic walking with brother (with him using walker or cane)

So far: 0 minutes "other" forms of exercise

Here's to an awesome June for each one of us!! <3

:flowerforyou:
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I'm just going to do what I can this month.

6/1 2 miles (Miles 2 and 3 of the 5 Day Slim Down)

See you all tomorrow! :)
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    12/100 Nice cool morning at the park and walked 6 miles.
  • VCanadapt
    VCanadapt Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    my goal will be 30 miles this month
  • ekharris84
    ekharris84 Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Got a mile in yesterday, either Leslie or the pool this evening!

Goal is 3,500 calories a week and 5 workouts a day. Either 1-2 miles with Leslie or the gym.

Quick question, as new to posting to group, what do you guys write in for calorie count for her DVDs? I normally do "aerobics, low impact" for the warm up and cool down sections, "aerobics, general" for the miles that are basically strength training and "aerobics, high impact" for the main bulk of the miles. Sometimes I am afraid I am putting in too many calories...
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,453 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    June-3miles/day

6/1 Vivofit Tracked 3.1 miles=3.1 miles total

texasgardnr how wonderful that your brother can walk for 60 minutes! I can't even do that yet! Considering the seriousness of his injuries, and how little time has passed since rehab, he is doing very well! Obviously, he has a super caregiver! :heart:

AnnofBI am with you-if I can get through June with close to 3 miles a day, I will consider it a success!

lrueter Go for it as I am living vicariously through you, Pinky and bandit this month! :drinker:

bgoddess:laugh: I am just like you! It kills me when I set a goal and do not make it! I get even more hard on myself the next month! I was getting so panicky about not meeting my goal for May that I did a 4 mile Leslie walk and then because of my surgery, was so sore that I have not done another one since. Clearly, this is not good, so I also changed to no total goal this month, just a day to day one and we will see how it goes. Being Type As is rough on us isn't it! :-)

Welcome new walkers!!!

Walk Strong Everyone! :bigsmile:
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    Thanks, Brenda :) My brother has worked up to being able to walk 6o minutes in the early morning while he has his energy, although it is very slow. I'm working on his endurance of being able to move for longer periods of time. I stop occasionally and have him go up and down off curbs of different heights trying to strengthen his leg muscles and have him avoid debris and obstacles like mud etc that can play havoc with his cane. It has been interesting seeing the neighborhood's streets from the prospective of one with walking challenges. yes, his whole recovery has been nothing short of miraculous in so many ways.
  • texasgardnr
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ekharris84 wrote: »
    Got a mile in yesterday, either Leslie or the pool this evening!

Goal is 3,500 calories a week and 5 workouts a day. Either 1-2 miles with Leslie or the gym.

Quick question, as new to posting to group, what do you guys write in for calorie count for her DVDs? I normally do "aerobics, low impact" for the warm up and cool down sections, "aerobics, general" for the miles that are basically strength training and "aerobics, high impact" for the main bulk of the miles. Sometimes I am afraid I am putting in too many calories...
    Welcome to our walk challenge group ekharris. Here is what I used do when I would log in exercise for the DVDs and it worked for me and I lost weight doing this:

The majority of Leslie's miles are around 15 minute miles. In MFP 'aerobics low impact' and 'walk 4.0 miles per hour' (15 minute miles) are given the exact same cals burned for the same length of time according MFP.

I consider the majority of her walks to be 'low impact' and '15 minute miles/ 4.0 mph' even though some of her DVDs have bursts of faster walking or higher impact moves but they do not last most of the program nor are they the whole focus of the particular walk like a high impact aerobic exercise DVD by another instructor.

I treat any walk that uses the firm band the same as those without the bands because again they do not take up the majority of the walk and in MFP it is hard to decide cal burn for strength because of the nature of the stop and starts as well as how our own exercise intensity can change on any particular day, and even the bands give different levels of workouts depending on the color of the band as to whether the workout is stronger or not. Too many variables.

Without a HRM it is impossible to know what the burn would really be for strength parts of the walks.

Some of her walks are "fast" walks, which are around 12 minute walks which translate to a 5 mph walk. For those I would use 'walk 5.0 mph' in the MFP exercise data base.

I stopped separating out the warm ups and cool downs and doing a whole lot of math and juggling of the database values that I used to do back in my beginning with MFP. It became tedious and difficult and I'd struggle over how many minutes and wanting to work out for a few minutes more just to get a few more cals to eat back or not, and it took the fun out of it. So I started just logging as explained above which I believe evened out over time. And without a HRM it is all estimations at best. I'd eat back around half of the cals given, or more if really hungry, and I lost my weight.

I also bought, and always use, a food scale, and that has made my food logging a lot more accurate and that also contributed to being able to lose the weight, especially as I neared goal at the time.

Hope that this gives you some ideas on how to log your exercise. Most of all have fun with it all or you will not keep it up.
    Blessings,

• ekharris84
    ekharris84 Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @texasgardnr - Thanks for the advice. It is a little bit of a bummer, but the goal is to loose the weight. As a chronic yo-yoer this is just time 15+ I have decided to try to loose the weight gained from after high school and competitive sports. I already have a food scale. It is amazing for how annoying they are, how instrumental they are for knowing exactly how much you are eating. I also try to only eat 1/2 of the calories I burn. With determination, hopefully this will be the time I loose the 60+ lbs! Thanks again and excited to be part of the group!
  • texasgardnr
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Tuesday (June 2nd) 3 Mega Miles (firm band), 65 minutes of therapeutic walking with my brother, Gazelle Edge.

My goal: is to workout or walk at least 5 x a week.

So far: 6 Leslie/ or other walking DVD miles

So far: 0 outdoor minutes (in the neighborhood or in a park)

So far: 125 minutes of therapeutic walking with brother (with him using a walker or cane)

So far: 15 minutes "other" forms of exercise

Never give up! When you have a chance Google "92 year old woman completes marathon" and you will be so encouraged. I just listened to today's interview with Harriette Thompson's on CNN dot com. She finished her 16th marathon on Sunday, at San Diego's Rock 'n' Roll Marathon. She is truly amazing and her story will inspire you.

• forubugs
    forubugs Posts: 13 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Leslie walk away the pounds 2 miles, walking outside 1 mile
    5/100
  • 1jlazymom
    1jlazymom Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    1jlazymom wrote: »
    I am aiming for 60 miles this month. So glad to be able to walk outside. 3.0 miles today good to be back at it. Wishing success to all

6/2/15 got 2 miles in tonight great weather here in Michigan's thumb to be walking outside