What age did it start for you?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I started peri-menopausal symptoms when I was 40. I was getting regular bouts of night sweats, retained fluid, and was noticeably moodier. (I had a bedroom ceiling fan installed and started eating 3 oz. of tofu daily to help alleviate these.) I didn't accomplish full menopause (ceased periods completely) until I was 57-1/2 years old. Yeah, it was a long row to hoe. I did not take any hormones. I figured it was a natural step in aging so I rolled with it. The periods were erratic: longer, shorter, heavier, lighter. The tofu contains natural plant estrogen that kept my moods mellower. I noticed that if I ate "cleaner" and avoided processed foods containing loads of salt and carbs, and exercised I had less symptoms and felt better. That's still the case. The symptoms don't go away when the periods stop. (Sorry to say.) The rule seems to be if you go 12 months without a period, you have achieved the absence of the menses.

I am a huge fan of plant estrogens. I eat soybeans, tofu, drink soy milk, something each day. I find that eating "cleaner" makes so much of a difference!

• TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I saw the doctor yesterday, and she confirmed that I am not menopausal but premenopausal. She said that under the circumstances, periods are to be expected and if what I'm on is working for symptom relief, she wouldn't change anything. I had to have an endometrial biopsy because of the bleeding though, so I'm crampy and feeling sorry for myself.
  • leslievp
    leslievp Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and started peri last year, which I thought was early, but I guess not! Irregular heavy periods, much worse PMS and cramping, hair loss, memory loss and night sweats here (also flooding, twice. that is the WORST. have change of clothes and towels in my office now). I was also having insomnia but I started thyroid meds (hormone doc said I was hypothyroid) and that immediately helped with the sleep thank god. I also found like Bikerchick that if I eat cleaner, the menstrual pain is noticeably easier. Hormone doc prescribed Progesterone which stopped the night sweats, but I stopped taking it because I feel like I don't want to alter anything just yet, if that makes sense. Oh, btw, I am here on MFP because I gained 25 lbs in exactly one year. I know, not "a total surprise" due to some bad habits, but that was a drastic gain for me, I come here to lose the same 10lbs every few years, but now I guess my body is going to keep my on my toes. Coming off, but sloooowwwly, with extra exercise a must.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    leslievp wrote: »
    I was also having insomnia but I started thyroid meds (hormone doc said I was hypothyroid) and that immediately helped with the sleep thank god.

There's a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I'm about to turn 47 but not yet perimenopausal. Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease) has shown me that hormones can affect so many aspects of both mind & body.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I briefly perused that group and it is a minefield of aggressively asserted inaccurate information and trendy pseudo-science. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone.

But in any case, the addition of thyroid hormones may help the weight loss efforts quite a bit, by increasing your metabolism and your energy levels. At least before this stage in my life, when euthyroid, I lost an average of 2 lbs a week. I talked to the doctor quite a bit yesterday, and she feels that weight loss is very difficult in perimenopause. However, if you've been working with a low thyroid for awhile, you might see some encouraging developments over the next few months as your levels normalize.
  • Alicedbabinski
    Alicedbabinski Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So what foods can u eat on menopause to help u lose weight but help feel better during menopause too
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    So what foods can u eat on menopause to help u lose weight but help feel better during menopause too

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period. Eat whatever you like, as long as you stay within your calorie goal.

To feel better, try to eat more fruit & veg and drink plenty of water. Get enough sleep, and exercise regularly. To relax, try yoga, tai chi, or meditation.

Everybody's different, so it'll take trial & error to find what works for you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited June 2015
    Options

To lose weight? I believe lower carb/slow carb is best, as I firmly believe menopause comes with more carb sensitivity. (Many studies out there on that)
    What to eat? From the book called "Before the Change" by Ann Louise Gittleman (which I highly recommend) and from "The Menopause Diet" By Vivianne Parnell (which I also liked), I'm focusing on eating lean meats, low fat dairy, lot's of leafy green vegetables and especially the following:

soy
    chickpeas
    lentils
    avocados
    kimchi
    sauerkraut
    yogurt
    oatmeal
    Pumpkin

flaxseeds
    chia seeds
    sesame seeds,
    sunflower seeds,
    pumpkin seeds,
    almonds,
    pecans

green vegetables
    cauliflower
    broccoli
    rye bread or crackers
    linseed and soy bread
    root vegetables

apples
    berries

salmon,
    mackerel,
    sardines,
    tuna,
    herring.

avoid: refined carbs

limit: caffeine, alcohol, cheese
  • yorkshiregirl67
    yorkshiregirl67 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ladies some great helpful discussions on here, things that you think you are suffering alone and going crazy - things that are too small to trouble the doctor with so thanks for confirming others are going through the same
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group - starting to show signs, I think. 6 weeks between periods, waking up hot during the night (even though AC says 70 degrees), and out-of-the-blue mood swings/anger over very small stressors/nothing. I'm 46. Looking forward to reading up on the information in this group.
  • jessicablair712
    jessicablair712 Posts: 10 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi I'm new to this site i started perimenopause a month before my 40th birthday. i had no clue why i had put on so much weight in my late thirties.
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I'm late to report here - but for completeness -I had early onset from 40 onwards - and hit it like a brick wall at 46. Still struggling now with the night sweats/chills. I am 50 and a half now. ( I sound like a kid, ooh, I am seven and a half, not just seven !!!) I do have a recipe for a menopause cake for which, I hate to say, I got in all the ingredients for, but never got around to making......if you put it into google you will get the link, I am sure......If not, let me know and I will post it when I can find it,,,,,I am not the most organised of people!
    Don't worry, OP!! That has always been me, not the menopause!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    dufus12 wrote: »
    I'm late to report here - but for completeness -I had early onset from 40 onwards - and hit it like a brick wall at 46. Still struggling now with the night sweats/chills. I am 50 and a half now. ( I sound like a kid, ooh, I am seven and a half, not just seven !!!) I do have a recipe for a menopause cake for which, I hate to say, I got in all the ingredients for, but never got around to making......if you put it into google you will get the link, I am sure......If not, let me know and I will post it when I can find it,,,,,I am not the most organised of people!
    Don't worry, OP!! That has always been me, not the menopause!!

I googled it. Looks yummy! My smoothies are similar! They have lots of greens, berries, ginger, turmeric, soy milk, hemp hearts (omegas) and sometimes avocado.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I think I was.... 47 or 48 when I first started noticing symptoms. (Now 52) They would come and go. Cycle that always was very predictable almost to the hour became unpredictable. Headaches, irritable, memory problems, stress. Then the last couple of years constant fatigue, sleep problems, extreme stress, yada yada. Recently started a low carb diet and amazingly most of my problems have disappeared and the weight is starting to come off. I believe I became very insulin resistant and hormones were extremely out of whack.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    I think I was.... 47 or 48 when I first started noticing symptoms. (Now 52) They would come and go. Cycle that always was very predictable almost to the hour became unpredictable. Headaches, irritable, memory problems, stress. Then the last couple of years constant fatigue, sleep problems, extreme stress, yada yada. Recently started a low carb diet and amazingly most of my problems have disappeared and the weight is starting to come off. I believe I became very insulin resistant and hormones were extremely out of whack.

I believe you're spot on. There are numerous articles on pubmed documenting that many women become insulin resistant with menopause, and that carbohydrate metabolism CHANGES for many of us with menopause.
  • ah6689
    ah6689 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started in my mid 40s. I stopped eating meat and the symptoms eased. Didn't stop completely, tho. I'm now in my early 50s and 3 months with no period. Ovulation started being very painful around age 50. My hair has thinned in the past 3 months. I have been able to lose weight, as I'm fairly active.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    ah6689 wrote: »
    I started in my mid 40s. I stopped eating meat and the symptoms eased. Didn't stop completely, tho. I'm now in my early 50s and 3 months with no period. Ovulation started being very painful around age 50. My hair has thinned in the past 3 months. I have been able to lose weight, as I'm fairly active.

I noticed my hot flashes were worse with meat. What a crazy time! Lower carb: better for mood, sleep, migraines.
    Lots of vegetables: good for hot flashes and mood.
    Lower meat: better for hot flashes.
    all leads to: Lower carb vegetarian!
    :smile:

I'm kidding of course. But what a crazy time!
  • _VickiLynne_
    _VickiLynne_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'll be 61 at the end of this month and have been going through menopause for 10 years. Still have night sweats and dizziness. Sadly, too, my hair is thinning which is a blow to the ego. Pray that this doesn't happen to all of u lovely ladies.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I'll be 61 at the end of this month and have been going through menopause for 10 years. Still have night sweats and dizziness. Sadly, too, my hair is thinning which is a blow to the ego. Pray that this doesn't happen to all of u lovely ladies.

Sorry it's been so rough for you. Have you found anything that helps with the dizziness?
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone... I am 54 and a little late to find this party, but I started peri menopause in my early40 's. Because my mom developed a rare form of HRT induced breast cancer, my gyn didn't want to give me anything even short term. When I started the twice a month flooding menses I went the Murina route too but aside from that I just decided to power through. I still occasionally get hot flashes, oddly most often in the spring for some reason?? The worst for me would happen when I was blowing my hair dry after a shower.... I swear I was just soaked and needed another shower by the time I got my hair done and make up on :/ I have just started a little with the dizziness in the past few weeks and am noticing what I thought was thinning but my hairdresser says it is just because my hair has lightened to a "platinum blonde" ;) Anyhoo... This is what has lead me find your group. Have you had any luck with meclazine for the dizzies? I am thinking about giving it a go. I am going to follow along if you all don't mind :)