So we really can still lose weight, right?

Options
2»

Replies

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You can if you would like. I don't know if there is enough interest. I seem to be an evangelist for the form, but as you have found, it is difficult to find a class.

I would still look at some other forms of Tai Chi. I bet some form of Tai Chi is offered in your area. Or contact the Taoist Tai Chi headquarters in Tallahassee and see if they have any plans to create a class. They will go to other towns if there is interest. Usually at a Community or Senior Center. Taoist Tai Chi instructors do not get paid. One of the priniciples of the art is to teach others and volunteer in the community. My center actually goes to the Cincinnati area to teach as they have no qualified teachers there (and that's 100 miles).

I think it would be difficult to learn on-line, but maybe some forms you could. From what I have seen, some forms move less than the form I do. Some stand almost in place. Some have a different number of movements in a set, but most movements seem to be about the same as far as the arms go.

Here is a link for the foundation exercises for my style which alone are very beneficial. In fact you don't learn the exercises until 4 months are up as they believe people wouldn't bother to learn the 108 moves to a set if they learn the exercises first! The foundation exercises help in the body alignment for the moves in a set and can be very relaxing -- almost hypnotizing. https://youtube.com/watch?v=Z1xMFgZJ1SQ

Some centers even offer occasional intensive classes. You learn the whole thing in a weekend! My center does this once a year. You might want to find out about that and see if you could travel to one. There seem to be more women than men who do Tai Chi, but the men I know who do it, seem to in the end get into it the most. My instructors have all been men (there are women, but their classes haven't been convenient for me) and I met a man in his late 80's who has been doing it for over 20 years. He still works out and kayaks! So maybe your husband might like it.

• mamamiau
    mamamiau Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    There's no class in Houston, either, but just reading your post and the first page of the website with its reassurances about benefiting even if one is physically hampered or just plain uncoordinated was very encouraging. I have tried a couple of times but quickly became discouraged because the class seemed to be moving too quickly. I'm probably going to be joining the local Y soon and I think they do offer tai chi at some locations.
  • mamamiau
    Options
    DreamOn145 wrote: »
    I am working through the beginners videos to see which ones I really like and have found one that very good instructions for someone just starting. Should we start a T'ai Chi thread? I would certainly follow it!

Would love to know which video!

• DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    The videos I am watching are with Dr. Paul Lam. He works very slowly and assumes you know NOTHING, which is very good for me lol
  • mamamiau
    Options
    The videos I am watching are with Dr. Paul Lam. He works very slowly and assumes you know NOTHING, which is very good for me lol

Thanks, Dream! I though I had some of his videos in my Hoopla list but they must be on my Amazon list instead. I see there's one for people with arthritis. Going to go back and consider purchasing that one now that I've seen a real-life endorsement.

• mamamiau
    Options
    mamamiau wrote: »

Thanks, Dream! I though I had some of his videos in my Hoopla list but they must be on my Amazon list instead. I see there's one for people with arthritis. Going to go back and consider purchasing that one now that I've seen a real-life endorsement.
    Done. The digital downloads are so inexpensive, I ordered the first lessons of both the "beginners" series and the "arthritis" series.
  • DreamOn145
    Options
    I have not actually ordered anything yet, I am kind of sampling things on Youtube. He is slow and thorough though and those are qualities I like for getting started. I am planning on taking the T'ai Chi class that is offered at our local college as an encore (adult ongoing education) class this fall

Charlie the type of T'ai Chi you do looks wonderful but I am hesitant to call about a class simply because I don't actually know anyone here who wants to participate. Perhaps I will do the encore class first and see if I meet some people.
  • grandmothercharlie
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I think whatever form you do is better than none. I do the Taosist, simply because there is a center in my town. I think the class you take will be terrific, too.

I went to my continuing class last night (I am taking a beginner again also just for reinforcement and because I like the instructor and the timing is good.) We did a set. We did foundation exercises. Then we worked the rest of the time (at least an hour) on two moves -- Striking Tigers (right and left). There are so many nuances to every move and the slightest adjustment to the move can help open the spine, increase the stretch and improve your balance.
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I wish I could get into this.....I have tried the videos and found them so difficult to follow...turning away from the screen confuses me.......I think I really need to find a class .......it does look like something I would enjoy......there is a Yogalates class at my Fitness Centre which is a mixture of Yoga, Pilates and Tai Chi ... I have never been good at Yoga, not being very flexible so am a little wary...but it would no doubt be worth a try I think...

Jean
  • DreamOn145
    Options
    Jean I know what you mean about the difficulty of following online. If there are no other options at the moment I will say though that Dr. Lam is very slow and thorough, if lacking in beautiful background and music, that is why I am following him to get the real basics. I can't wait to start the class though
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Actually Tai Chi shouldn't be done to music. It should follow ones own rhythm of the Chi. Or if in a group, the group has an intrinsic rhythm that binds the group. That said, I, too, love to see it done to music and did do it to music at a tai chi demonstration we did.
  • mamamiau
    Options
    I have not actually ordered anything yet, I am kind of sampling things on Youtube. He is slow and thorough though and those are qualities I like for getting started. I am planning on taking the T'ai Chi class that is offered at our local college as an encore (adult ongoing education) class this fall
    /quote]

Well, I ordered but the download failed and the tech person referred to is out of the office until June 15. You only get 3 tries to download using the link provided! I think the problem may be my ISP, tough, so I'm going to gear up for a long toll-free chat with them before I call the Tai Chi line (not toll-free.)
  • mamamiau
    Options
    mamamiau wrote: »
    /quote]

Well, I ordered but the download failed and the tech person referred to is out of the office until June 15. You only get 3 tries to download using the link provided! I think the problem may be my ISP, tough, so I'm going to gear up for a long toll-free chat with them before I call the Tai Chi line (not toll-free.)

though <sigh>
  • DreamOn145
    Options
    Interesting Charlie! I would think music would help to establish the mood, but hey I don't know. I know yoga flows much better with music for me, but when I started back with yoga I pulled a muscle and wanted something a bit more gentle. And as far as chi I guess I also think in terms of reiki, which flows very well with appropriate music. I have been a reiki master for many years and have used it both for myself, for friends and clients, and even for pain control with hospice patients. The flow of universal lifeforce energy is an amazing thing once you recognize and experience the flow of it.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    I have been a reiki master for many years and have used it both for myself, for friends and clients, and even for pain control with hospice patients. The flow of universal lifeforce energy is an amazing thing once you recognize and experience the flow of it.

DreamOn, you have done some amazing work in your time. You are a healer. Glad you found our group :)

• DreamOn145
    Options
    Retire that is just a lovely thing to say. For most of my life I regretted the fact that I do not have the focus and tenacity required to set a long distance goal and achieve it I (I heard many years ago that Martha Stewart has the focus of a bullet in flight and I thought I am like that, I have the focus of buckshot in flight! lol). But eventually I came to see that if I were any different I might have missed the rewards of constantly being attracted to the road less taken. I would not give up for anything the gift of Reiki, or painting, or the degree in English literature that I just HAD to have when I was young (ok, so its not a very practical degree and once I hit the real world I got my R.N. and made my living that way lol). I am what I am and have a collection of very artistic and unusual friends I would not have acquired on the straight and narrow path! It is what is was meant to be. lol And thanks again for the compliment.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,294 Member
    Options
    I'm here to lose some weight. Anyone else currently on a weight loss path?
  • KatherineMcCalla
    Options
    Yes! I just turned 60 in May! I plan on losing the 45 pounds I recently gained back after losing over 85 on WW. Then traumatic life event happened and I gained back 45 plus. So I thought I would try this app instead of WW App as I want to do intermittent fasting also.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,294 Member
    Options
    Yes! I just turned 60 in May!
    Class of '81, for me it was June of this year.