Keto: Fringe or Mainstream?

Options

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    One reason the diet is taking off, is there are people that have lost over 100 lbs (the golden bragging number) that people pay attention to. When bariatric surgery started, after a few years, everybody knew someone who did it, and how it transformed their lives for the better. Usually ONE person can influence (be seen directly) by at least 100 - 200 people, (family, friends, work & church or clubs/associations). Take me, for example, we have 150 people in our church, I worked at a company and changed companies in the middle of my diet, but that was about 75 people, a software user group I run (50 people) and my family. Although technically I haven't lost 100 lbs, on this diet, I now am down enough to where people that see me are constantly doing double takes. I feel like a celebrity. So, most people know what diet I am doing, because I explained it to them. And of course, most don't want to give up their carbs. BUT, since I started, there are now 3 of my friends doing Keto, another 3 interested and asking questions and another 3 doing lo-carb (50 - 100 carb g @ day).

You are a celebrity to us too, Dan!

{blushing} Yeah right...I'm just a poor reformed carb eater, tired of being morbidly obese and fat ALL my life. I love to share my struggles and successes. My successes come from doing everything wrong and the attempt to repair the damage ~ sometimes successful... (not because I am better/smarter than anyone).

Thank you for the kind words...

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
    Low Carb Discussion Group on MFP (LCD)
    Ketogenic Diet Discussion Group on MFP

• greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Haha, I just read some comments on a YouTube video and one person wrote that fat coats the lining of the arteries and blocks the absorption of glucose! O My Gosh! People actually believe this!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

I feel the same. We don't go to pizza joints any more. But we do order pizza occasionally. I keep pepperoni, mozzarella and sauce in the house and will whip up a pizza bowl. Tastes better than the dumb toppings off the pizza. And doesn't waste food.

I do the same but sometimes it is nice to have someone else cook for us - and their job is to make pizzas anyway, LOL!

The guys get pizza once in a while, and I used to do the strip the toppings bit, but last time I tried ordering a meatball sandwich with no bun. I got an entire spaghetti container filled with meatballs and toppings. I think it weighed in at something like 2 lbs - way more than they'd ever have put on just a roll for a sandwich. Doing it that way from now on - got 3 meals out of that.
  • cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I've had a few people ask me how I lost weight. I tell them to buy me lunch and I'll tell them what to order. :)

yes - this is an awesome answer! will use that when I have lost more weight too but for now I tell people I am on a low-insulin diet because I am at risk for getting diabetes (no doc has ever told me that but it shuts them up!)

• Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    @DittoDan "Maybe a restaurant that will either be a Ketogenic eating establishment or Keto friendly."

My boy friend and I discuss this ALL the time. It's happening. Well, we have a menu and ideas for the menu... more concrete stuff to come... at some point...

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Fat4Fuel2 wrote: »
    @DittoDan "Maybe a restaurant that will either be a Ketogenic eating establishment or Keto friendly."

My boy friend and I discuss this ALL the time. It's happening. Well, we have a menu and ideas for the menu... more concrete stuff to come... at some point...

Please! I'd kill for somewhere to get take out or go on a date without getting weird looks from the waiter.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Keto got mentioned on an episode of grimm, and we got compared to bad-a** dragon people, so I'd say that's a win.

There was an episode of South Park that eluded to it by "turning the food pyramid upside down".
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Actually CookOut (out of NC and in several states now) have a low carb menu on the cash registers but not on the overhead menu options. Culver's will leave off buns, etc. Sometimes it is just easier to take the food and strip the carbs like at a typical fast food chain than to explain and get them to understand what you do NOT want. :)

The Huddle House locally will toss in an extra egg in place of the carbs but they do custom stuff all of the time because the ones working the tables make $2.35?? an hour so tips is what they live on.

Just when places are not Anti Low Carb it will make life much better for us when we have to eat out.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Wendy's, Five Guys, and a few other chains have standard low-carb options now. I said "no bun" at Wendy's and it said "low carb" on the receipt. :)
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

@DittoDan Dan had a good thread on keto restaurant ideas...I think it was on the keto board?

Dan, it's OK, I'm not stalking you, honest!

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have coworkers at work that comment on how awesome my lunches are. Yesterday someone said "I need your recipes, that lunch looks so good!"

I gave her a blank look and said, "It's bacon, scrambled eggs, and cheese."

Seriously, people don't even know WHAT FOOD IS anymore. Nevermind tearing down the keto wall. Tear down the fast food joints.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It is more accepted but I expect the masses will hang on to carbs until death.

Refined carbs. You can't convince most of them to eat vegetables. In fact, I'd bet someone following something like Atkins to the letter eats more vegetables/plants than the average SAD eater.
  • wabmester
    Options
    I have a conspiracy theory. The real reason for the low-fat high-carb guidelines was that the government realized it was impossible to produce enough meat to feed such a large and growing population. Wheat and corn scales much better. Now with concerns about global warming, they can't possibly back the idea of more fart-producing cows.

We should probably keep low-carb a secret so we can maintain our share of meat. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be having an involved procedure and overnight stay at the hospital this week and I'm a little more than hesitant about telling my cardiologist what my diet is. If my cholesterol has raised, I know I'll have the statin fight again. And what in the world will I eat from the hospital cardiac menu? Yikes. I'm hoping I can fake it and keep my dietary info to myself.

Which means that people in my world are still of the low-fat-healthy-grains variety. My sister thinks I'm about killing myself not eating carbs. And so much fat!! I don't mention it anymore. I haven't lost enough weight for anyone to notice, so they're not asking questions.

Honestly, I would be completely full on about it. Tell the doctor matter of factly that this is your way of eating. Anyone losing weight at a decent clip with have all kinds of crazy cholesterol readings for a while, and you refuse to discuss medications with so many horrible side effects until you utterly fail or you succeed and stabilize. Tell him it is now open to discussion, and this is what you are eating. You have seen numerous studies that the old concepts are outdated and you'd be happy to do a heart scan if he prefers to show your progress, but that at this point, you are not negotiating. Your dietary needs should be a fact, and your doctor can have an opinion, but he cannot decide what you are fed. If nothing else, when you check in, inform them that you are allergic to sugar, wheat, etc. Lie if you have to, but don't allow yourself to be forced off plan.

And if you feel like a discussion of this sort will add to much stress and might spike your blood pressure or something having the doc argue the point, do it before the procedure by calling him, etc. If you call, tell him it is non-negotiable, you appreciate his concern, and just be matter-of-fact about it, he's far less likely to raise a fuss.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Keto got mentioned on an episode of grimm, and we got compared to bad-a** dragon people, so I'd say that's a win.

There was an episode of South Park that eluded to it by "turning the food pyramid upside down".

On Hawaii 5-O a while back there was an episode where Steve McGarrett put butter in his coffee in front of Danny, and talked about it being grassfed butter and good for him. Danny turned up his nose and grabbed the "cream" from the fridge (but it wasn't milk), so it was still awesome. I was laughing so hard, my fiance almost missed the whole thing!
  • DittoDan
    edited June 2015
    Options

@DittoDan Dan had a good thread on keto restaurant ideas...I think it was on the keto board?

Dan, it's OK, I'm not stalking you, honest!

LOL! Yeah, let me find that discussion....

All kidding aside, Future business model: create a Keto Weight loss clinic. Have three parts:

1) One part is paid for by insurance and the patient is taught about the Keto way of life ~ all the benefits, principles, how to cook/recipes, testimonials, Powerpoint presentations, Q&A, a "weigh in" and group teaching like Weight Watchers.
    2) Then next to or connected is a Keto restaurant, have a normal "cooked meal" restaurant, that only serves Keto approved food. Do NOT cater at all, to carbage, including not even having sugar packets on the tables.
    3) Another section of the store that will sell packaged Keto foods, oils, etc.... (like the restaurant Cracker Barrel)

What do ya think?

It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
  • wabmester
    Options
    Future business model: create a Keto Weight loss clinic.

Don't you have some rural land?

DittoDan's Keto Camp. Modeled after the fat farms / boot camps like this one:
    http://www.fitwoman.com/fat-farm/

fun.png
  • DittoDan
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have a conspiracy theory. The real reason for the low-fat high-carb guidelines was that the government realized it was impossible to produce enough meat to feed such a large and growing population. Wheat and corn scales much better. Now with concerns about global warming, they can't possibly back the idea of more fart-producing cows.

We should probably keep low-carb a secret so we can maintain our share of meat. :)

I have a more practical reason:

1) Consider how much easier/faster it is at any meal, to prepare many carby foods. For example, which is easier?: a cooked bacon & eggs, or just slap a bowl down fill, with cereal, pour milk. Faster, easier, less cleanup. So in the rush rush day we live in, Carbage wins here.
    2) Carbage has a much longer shelf life that meats, eggs, Keto foods. Consider that a whole lot of carbage requires little or no cooking.
    3) Its so much easier to store. Put on shelf, no refrigeration needed. Stores don't need expensive refrigeration everywhere for carbage.
    4) Carbage has an excellent taste factor AND it has addictive properties to it.
    4) A whole lot of carbage is cheaper than most Keto foods.

Carbage is the perfect food for the masses ~c for the above reasons. Its unfortunate that some of us can't handle them as well as others.

• DittoDan
    Options
    Future business model: create a Keto Weight loss clinic.

Don't you have some rural land?

DittoDan's Keto Camp. Modeled after the fat farms / boot camps like this one:
    http://www.fitwoman.com/fat-farm/

fun.png

LOL! No, my land is 2.5 acres in the middle of a suburb.

But, I am considering putting a Zip line on my property.... If I don't die using it, it will be a lot of fun....

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Aren't grain farms heavily subsidized in the U.S. (and even Canada)? Wouldn't that be a vested interest by the government to keep them going...