JUNE 2015 - Move Your @ss Challenge

Options

Replies

• future_rockstar
    future_rockstar Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Weather has been crappy so fa this week, and apparently more rain is coming.
    MTD - 18.7/60
  • JTH11706
    JTH11706 Posts: 2,907 Member
    Options
    I rode my bike 10 miles today. New total is 29. Still not quite enough to get into the green <sob>. But yesterday was a total fail - both moving and eating wise. So at least today was going in the right direction.
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,265 Member
    Options
    @anaconda469 glad you are moving some. Keep it up!

Walked with DH and Bean this morning. The kids got back from Disneyland and picked Bean up a little while ago. :'( Not the same without him around!!

Mon - 1.95 miles
    Tues - 6.67 miles

exercise.png

Have a great Wednesday, everyone!

Chris
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I have been having some MAJOR stress! My husband suffers from panic disorder & it has been bad. He HATES to take drugs & I am about at my wits end! If any of you are familiar with this can you give me some pointers?
    I did get in 5 on foot & 11 on the ex bike since I last posted.

exercise.png
  • jennwhite34
    jennwhite34 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    total mtd: 36.15 miles
  • taxmom9093
    taxmom9093 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    So glad I dragged myself out for a walk this morning. I always feel better, even if I don't want to get moving at first. Added 5.25 miles. It should get me into the green for the next 25 minutes or so. June total 38 miles.

exercise.png

Sounds like a lot of good things happened last weekend. Congratulations!

@anaconda469 I'm so glad you are healing. Take some time before you decide about July. I would be really cautious myself at this point, but I agree with you, at some point you need to get back on the horse. Someplace safe and protected at first, but back in the saddle as soon as you feel ready. (And you definitely do not need to give up and quit......ever)

@vhuber I'm so sorry you and your husband are struggling. I don't have any good advice myself, but I hope someone else here can give you some ideas. Hang in there, I know it is really stressful for both of you.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,194 Member
    Options
    @vhuber - I really wish I had some tips to help. I feel bad for both of you on this one. I'm never sure which is more difficult, going through the panic or living with the person who has them and not being able to fix the problem. For me personally, watching it happen and not being able to fix them or help them to help themselves would be the worst. You definitely have my sympathy.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,836 Member
    Options
    6/8 Run 5 miles / Walk 2 miles
    6/9 Run 5 miles / Hike 4 miles

As 6/9 87.25 miles of 225 miles

exercise.png
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Adding 1.5 miles of walking today.

MTD: 21.5
  • hkristine1
    edited June 2015
    Options
    vhuber wrote: »
    I have been having some MAJOR stress! My husband suffers from panic disorder & it has been bad. He HATES to take drugs & I am about at my wits end! If any of you are familiar with this can you give me some pointers?
    I did get in 5 on foot & 11 on the ex bike since I last posted.

i'm really sorry to hear that you're going through such a stressful time. I don't have specific experience with panic disorder, BUT I can share something I learned this winter that's really helped me. My son experienced some pretty intense trauma in the first 4 years of his life, and that has caused him to have some pretty serious behavioral issues (not all of the time, but when it happens, it's BIG). Some of his behaviors include physically attacking me and my husband, physically attacking other children, throwing hour+ long temper tantrums, refusing to sleep, refusing to comply with requests from adults, etc. He has a very powerful "fight or flight" response, and his instinct is to FIGHT.

I took a class this winter on parenting vulnerable children, and realized in that process, that I experience "secondary trauma" from his trauma. In other words, his trauma response is traumatizing me. I had classic symptoms: hyper-vigilance to avoid anything that might set him off, feelings of avoidance, anxiety every time I took him to a place where he was going to be cared for by others (e.g. the child care center at my gym), dread and anxiety every day when I picked him up from school, not knowing what kind of report I would receive about his day, etc.

Learning to recognize my own trauma, and then taking steps to become healthier myself, and to recognize my own "stuff" within the situation has been extremely helpful - recognizing what I can take responsibility for, and also what I can't. Part of that was learning to not parent from a place of shame (e.g. "what are people going to think of me because my son is acting out?" - wanting to explain that his behaviors stem from stuff that happened to him from before he lived with us - wanting to distance myself from his trauma... and then realizing that when I did that, I was distancing myself from his pain - when what he really needs is for me to sit with him in his pain, to help him process his pain, etc.). I am still learning and growing... but honestly, just recognizing that I was going through trauma was super helpful in me understanding what was happening, and then I was able to be less stressed out about it. It's hard to explain exactly HOW it happened, but something in me switched, and I've developed better coping skills, now. Usually. Although I still struggle. I dropped him off today at a summer camp and, even though I knew some of the adults there, I didn't know all of them, and I had to do some deep breathing and serious prayer when I got back into the car, so that I didn't start to feel panic and anxiety. And the day turned out super well for him!! YAY.

I wish you the very best as you navigate these tricky issues - and I hope that you are able to develop skills that are helpful to you in coping with the mess around you, the mess that affects you, and the mess that you contribute to (not purposefully, but simply because you're human and not perfect). Life is so incredibly complicated sometimes, and I hope that you're able to find some peace, even in the midst of the storm.
  • hkristine1
    Options
    =============================
    SPREADSHEET UPDATED TO HERE

See (but not edit) the
    spreadsheet here:
    http://tinyurl.com/myac201402
    =============================
  • wanderan
    wanderan Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    adding 5.36 miles

exercise.png
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    4.68 walked today

52.3 walked to date
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    06/01: rowing 1km, stationary bike 24.8km
    06/02: rowing 1km
    06/04: elliptical trainer 1.1km, stationary bike 25.7km
    06/05: rowing 1km, stationary bike 22.5km
    06/06: Nordic walking 6.28km
    06/08: elliptical trainer 1.1km, stationary bike 26.9km
    06/09: rowing 1km, stationary bike 29km
    06/10: elliptical trainer 1.04km, stationary bike 23km

Total: 165.42km
    Left: 134.58km

exercise.png
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    vhuber wrote: »

I suffer from panic disorder. I think it's very important to take the meds. My life would be way more miserable if I didn't take the meds - and I probably would never leave the house. Besides medication it's important to not completely avoid the situations that cause panic attacks. I mean sure, when I get a strong panic attack from just the thought of having to go somewhere I do stay at home. But I try to live as normally as possible.

• tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    As of June 9, I walked 62.7 miles.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Adding 23.64 miles for a bike ride with the girls last night:

exercise.png
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Going to try 800 miles again - might even make it this month!

01-06: 27.10 miles
    02-06: storm force winds - too dangerous
    03-06: 53.19 miles
    04-06: 36.06 miles
    04-06: 14.10 miles (18.1 mph)
    05-06: 50.08 miles
    06-06: 47.42 miles (cycle camping with 10 yo)
    07-06: 47.61 miles (cycle camping with 10 yo)
    08-06: Rest day
    09-06: Rest day
    10-06: 83.82 miles
    June miles: 359.37

YTD miles: 3565
  • Tappy44
    Tappy44 Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    6/9 - 2.53 Miles on the elliptical

MTD - 18.73 Miles
  • Tappy44
    Tappy44 Posts: 1,050 Member