FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

pretty pro tips der
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Side Steel, I did goblets squats. Not full on. But did 3 sets. One with a 50lb DB, and the 2nd with an 80lb DB. The 80lb dumbbell created a twinge in my lower back so I stopped. I only felt it when I was deep in the squat. If I only went about parallel, I didn't feel anything at all.

Too much depth creating too much butt wink and thus the source of your lower back pain maybe? Not that it matters anymore I guess.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Side Steel, I did goblets squats. Not full on. But did 3 sets. One with a 50lb DB, and the 2nd with an 80lb DB. The 80lb dumbbell created a twinge in my lower back so I stopped. I only felt it when I was deep in the squat. If I only went about parallel, I didn't feel anything at all.

Too much depth creating too much butt wink and thus the source of your lower back pain maybe? Not that it matters anymore I guess.

That thought crossed my mind also.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I agree with Dope. Get this on vid if you can =)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Have you had some injuries that could be causing tighter than normal back/glute/hamstring muscles?
    I mean, not normal I don't stretch much tightness, but even more.

And is the tightness evenly matched on sides?
    Like if you stretch muscle on one side for 10 sec and feel the amount of tightness - equal amount on other side when stretching same way?

I found those imbalances very interesting to my own pelvic tilt that were causing many issues.
  • BroscienceTheory
    BroscienceTheory Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey, I don't know if this helps other but it helped me. I focused on front squats and goblets to help my mobility.
    But what helped my pain was a wider stance, and doing more core exercises and hyperextensions for lower back.
    It isn't painful anymore, so I guess my core wasn't as strong as my erector spinae, so the lower back was pulling more.
    Any people with longer lower bodies have issues and had to do a wider stance?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    what shoes are you squatting in - have you ever tried lifting in an Olympic shoe?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Hendrix7 wrote: »
    what shoes are you squatting in - have you ever tried lifting in an Olympic shoe?

I haven't. I have tried using 5 lb plates to put my heels on. It's def better that way. But, I don't know if that completely helps.

Thats the first thing I would have tried, you can't really compare plates under the heals to a proper shoe it feels totally different.

I struggle to get parallel in flats shoes but can get 2-3 inches below in my adidas
  • heybales
    Options
    Last year I wondered how I had injured my achilles doing almost nothing but lifts near end of winter.
    Had couple runs, and long ride on odd warm/dry day, must mostly lifting.

Because looking at my ankle mobility, or lack thereof, from many sprains/strains as a youth, and really thought it had something to do with broken ankle side.

Discovered with feet flat on the ground, my thighs could never reach parallel unless I felt like a combo good/morning squat maneuver - which I didn't.
    They just flat out couldn't do it, longer thighs didn't help the positioning either, but truly ankle could not bend enough.
    I actually reach max ankle bend at correct squat down for deadlift - so never noticed.

So with weight on bar wondered what was happened, and left side had less bend, so whole body and weight was actually shifting to that side and going up off heel more, if not visibly, at least by weight, and causing bad strain on achilles that is already on the thinner calf side. Very bad combo with extra weight loaded on.
    And that was attempting about as wide a squat stance with knees pointed out as I cared to attempt.

I'm sure if I'd had kept attempting to go higher weight, that issues would have transferred up to hips/back if the achilles didn't go first

I put 1/4" thick block of wood under the heels (left side already short leg and used shoe lift for all walking/running shoes, just not lifting shoes) took care of the problem, and allowed more natural toe/knee angle to emphasis quads more.

So even if you can't upload video here, really suggest analyzing that shifting weight and direction as you do some reps, may discover something.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Hm, interesting. I'm not 100% sure what the issue is that I'm seeing, but it looks like you have a ton of a movement in your lower back at the bottom of the movement. Especially on the way up. You're also squatting high bar which I'm not familiar with so maybe this is normal. Might need someone more knowledgeable in that area.
  • heybales
    Options
    I do high bar too, tad farther down across traps though. I lack shoulder mobility for low bar method (thanks UPS as youth).

Looks pretty good. Good upright stance, don't appear to be tipping forward or back, or straining to prevent it.

Trying to follow line straight down from the bar though, is it really centered above middle of foot?
    Trying to discern from missing picture, and angle of shin, where heel might be, and can't decide.

I do see pretty good curve to very low back being introduced coming up from bottom pretty quick.
    So keeping straight back tight, but then allowing curve, does that seem right to you?