How on earth can BPC be healthy?

Options
fancyroberts
fancyroberts Posts: 75 Member
Can anyone explain that to me or justify not eating a "breakfast" but replacing it with a BPC?
Strictly health wise?

Replies

• SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Which part are you worried about? What breakfast are you comparing it with?
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast or brunch and drink my BPC when I get up
    What part is unhealthy about it?
  • fancyroberts
    fancyroberts Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Because in my case, I would have a BPC to replace my breakfast.....which normally would be a couple eggs lets say...but every time I have a BPC I am so full I don't want to eat anything...so I was just wondering if it is really healthier to replace breakfast with a BPC ?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    BPC has no or little carbohydrate content, it provides saturated fats for body fuel and is ketogenic to enhance availability of brain fuel.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Also, in my version, I use two eggs in it. It balances out for me. A lot of folks like to start their day with coffee anyway, and many don't eat for hours, so I don't think most people are advocating giving up a whole foods based breakfast other than in the name of convenience (for work, time, etc.). I see BPC mostly as an addition for the people who don't have or make time to cook each day, who need nutrition on the go, etc. And if you are still doubting the nutritional value of fat altogether, then that may be part of your struggle. I tend to eat something small with mine on days I'm hungry and don't on days I'm not. I'm very flexible and just consider it another tool in my arsenal.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Because in my case, I would have a BPC to replace my breakfast.....which normally would be a couple eggs lets say...but every time I have a BPC I am so full I don't want to eat anything...so I was just wondering if it is really healthier to replace breakfast with a BPC ?

As long as you're getting enough protein in a 24 hr period, it doesn't matter when or how often you're eating it throughout the day. The only reason what you're doing would be a problem is if drinking BPC prevents you from eating all your protein or getting all your micronutrients (this is a possibility if you eat too far below your calorie goal on a regular basis). If at the end of the day, you find you're 20+ low on protein, or 300+ low on calories, revisit it. If your concern is simply not having solid food first meal of the day, what you're doing is no different than drinking Carnation instant for breakfast.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This isn't a published study but Dr. Spencer Nadolsky has a few case studies of clients where they show cholesterol levels getting worse when these clients switched to BP coffee.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably better than not eating anything, but unlikely to be better than an actual meal. I prefer my fat to come with protein and more nutrients, especially since fat is beneficial for absorbing some nutrients.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Personally I much prefer to eat food than drink lots of calories in a coffee. I have cream in my coffee but only 10ml. I love the whole ritual of preparing and eating my food. I savour each bite. If I 'spend' too many calories on coffee it isn't a mentally satisfying experience to me at all.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    This isn't a published study but Dr. Spencer Nadolsky has a few case studies of clients where they show cholesterol levels getting worse when these clients switched to BP coffee.

Define "worse." If "worse" is based off the standard test, then the wrong things are likely being tested (it's known that the standard test shows and increase in LDL, but that's because they're Pattern A, for example).

Also, "worse" compared to what? Is the test after consuming BPC or are they fasting numbers over a longer period of time? What's the rest of the person's diet look like?

Not really enough information here to do anything with those statements.
  • mommy2boysaz
    mommy2boysaz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Okay, I love BPC, but I don't have it often because I also love black coffee. I just love COFFEE!! But, I did see a person's post in the LCHF fb group this week, who has lost more than a hundred pounds over the past year, but felt BPC and fat bombs were detrimental to her loss (her loss improved when she quit them). I have read lots on this, but I could use a refresher - why does consuming very large amounts of fat help us lose weight? I understand that our bodies get adjusted to it and will burn it for fuel, rather than burning sugar, but don't I want my body to burn the fat in my thighs instead of the fat in my BPC?
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Can anyone explain that to me or justify not eating a "breakfast" but replacing it with a BPC?
    Strictly health wise?

You seem to assume that fat is empty calories -- nothing more than fuel. That's actually not the case.

Butter (ideally grass fed) contains CLA, butyric acid, Vitamins A, D, E, and K2, copper, zinc, selenium, manganese, chromium, and iodine, and a beneficial Omega-6:3 ratio, among other things.

Coconut or MCT oil is pretty much pure fuel, but it's in the form of medium chain triglycerides -- specifically Lauric acid -- which has a host of benefits to the body.

Coffee is rich in antioxidants and contains several B vitamins (B2, B3, B5), as well as magnesium, potassium, and manganese.

So yeah, if you don't want to drink your calories, you don't have to go with it, but you're actually getting a fair bit of nutrition with it, especially if you get high quality ingredients.
  • JPW1990
    Options
    Okay, I love BPC, but I don't have it often because I also love black coffee. I just love COFFEE!! But, I did see a person's post in the LCHF fb group this week, who has lost more than a hundred pounds over the past year, but felt BPC and fat bombs were detrimental to her loss (her loss improved when she quit them). I have read lots on this, but I could use a refresher - why does consuming very large amounts of fat help us lose weight? I understand that our bodies get adjusted to it and will burn it for fuel, rather than burning sugar, but don't I want my body to burn the fat in my thighs instead of the fat in my BPC?

It doesn't help lose weight. It does help control hunger and meet your energy needs. Some people do mistakenly believe fat is a goal they have to hit every day, and if they're using BPC or fat bombs just to hit that number every day, they're doing it wrong. What fat bombs are intended for is to fill in nutrients and energy on days where you're otherwise way below where you should be, but aren't hungry enough to eat a full meal to get them. What BPC is intended for is to give you a solid dose of energy in the morning, in a combination which (for most people) will keep you from getting hungry again for 5-6 hrs, so you aren't tempted to snack and go over your calorie limit.

If your daily intake includes both BPC and fat bombs on a regular basis, something else, most likely protein, is probably being omitted from your day, and that's not a good idea.

• Dragonwolf
    Options

Arguably, she was consuming extra calories, in excess of what was needed for her to lose weight.

When you drop carbs, fat becomes your fuel. This means that you need to increase the percentage of your total caloric intake that comes from fat. This does not mean that you eat tons and tons of fat for the sake of eating fat.
  • mommy2boysaz
    mommy2boysaz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Makes sense. Thank you.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    As long as you're getting enough protein in a 24 hr period, it doesn't matter when or how often you're eating it throughout the day.

There's circadian rhythms at work and the "anabolic threshold" to consider - I suspect getting 20 - 30 grams of protein in for breakfast would be beneficial if tested.

• JPW1990
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    As long as you're getting enough protein in a 24 hr period, it doesn't matter when or how often you're eating it throughout the day.

There's circadian rhythms at work and the "anabolic threshold" to consider - I suspect getting 20 - 30 grams of protein in for breakfast would be beneficial if tested.

If you're someone who can tolerate solid food in the morning to begin with. If not, it's not going to do irreparable damage to wait until lunch.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »

Define "worse." If "worse" is based off the standard test, then the wrong things are likely being tested (it's known that the standard test shows and increase in LDL, but that's because they're Pattern A, for example).

Also, "worse" compared to what? Is the test after consuming BPC or are they fasting numbers over a longer period of time? What's the rest of the person's diet look like?

Not really enough information here to do anything with those statements.

Worse in terms of apo-B I believe. I'll see if I can get permission to post the info he shared, it was part of a research review that you pay to sub to so I'd need to ask before copy-pasta.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Arguably, she was consuming extra calories, in excess of what was needed for her to lose weight.

When you drop carbs, fat becomes your fuel. This means that you need to increase the percentage of your total caloric intake that comes from fat. This does not mean that you eat tons and tons of fat for the sake of eating fat.

THis was mee too.

If I had a BPC or fat bombs, I just went way over my calories. If I stuck to calories, I lacked in protein and such. So I just didn't need THAT much fat. Now I have my coffee with the eggs in it and just a small amount of butter. That's working much better.

Although, I don't often track, I eat when I'm hungry. I do check from time to time and find without the BPC and fat bombs I average around 1300-1400calories a day. (I weigh 200lbs). but if you add in a couple of fat bombs and a full BPC (or two) that's about 230 calories right there (for my recipes). That can add up easily. Not to mention I find it super easy to just eat fat bombs instead of other things. I just don't need that much fuel. I'd rather it take the fat from my thighs, thank you very much. :)

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    As noted in several posts above, if you are using it to add fat to your day just because, then why do it? I would rather have the fat being utilized for fuel to come from the excess fat stored on my body than from extra dietary fat eaten simply to hit certain macros. It's the difference between eating at a deficit (keto style) and losing body fat OR staying at maintenance.
    Besides I like my coffee dark roast and plain black. Anything else just ruins it, lol.