What keeps you motivated to continue this WOE?

Options
Jbarnes1210
Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
For me, first it's the weight loss, but also being able to eat good food, and eat until I'm full. I like reading other low carb success stories and looking at before and after photos. How about you?

Replies

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Feeling and looking better every week; being able to not only touch my toes but actually reach my palms to the floor (I just noticed this a couple days ago); being able to get down on the floor and play with my kids without worrying I might not be able to get back up; no more heartburn, tummy rumbles, or other GI upset; seeing (and feeling) the natural contours of my face without the extra cheek padding; the way my husband can't keep his hands off me (except when I'm in a "mood"); feeling confident enough to walk around scantily clad AND to exercise in front of my husband; going shopping and actually finding clothes that fit. There are so many things about this WOE that make me feel fantastic, so I do not intend to go back to feeling sluggish and fat and irritable and gassy again. :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    For me its the reduction in digestive discomfort. I get pain in the right side of my abdomen after eating large quantities of any carbohydrates. Eating low carb allows me to eat a smaller quantity of foods that fill me up as much or more than a higher quantity of higher carb foods.
  • me_ona_diet
    me_ona_diet Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The way the weight is just melting off. The way I'm practically never hungry and keeping below my daily calorie allowance doesn't even require thought, it just naturally happens. The good food. The positive feelings I have :) And because I know this it the only woe that has ever really worked for me.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    40 years of chronic pain that was at the 7-8 level when I started this new eating/living lifestyle 8 months ago (Oct 2014) that quickly dropped to a pain level of 2-3 and remains there.

There are 5781 other reasons that I will not mention.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    It's the knowledge that my body doesn't tolerate high carb very well. For me, it leads to excess consumption, excess body fat, and excess triglycerides in my blood.

I've found a level I can both tolerate and sustain indefinitely, and I'm loving the side-benefits that I never anticipated when I started -- improved skin, improved sleep, no more "carb coma" after meals, less intestinal discomfort, and the cool stuff I've learned about biochemistry. :)
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I like how and what I eat. It is a natural and easy way of life for me.

60 - 80 carbs is pretty easy. I like the better food choices driven by nutrient content and not just blind calorie counting.

It is an intelligent alternative to the silliness of counting all calories as if a doughnut equals a pork chop equals a bowl of black beans.

I'm a fan!!

• CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    The two best reasons:
    Never have the horrid hungry feeling. If for some reason I can't eat for a long time... it's ok, I am hungry, but feel fine. Eating the SAD way, I would feel hunger crashes and become very upset and shaky if I didn't eat. It's awful.

No more inflammation. I always have inflammation, especially in my legs, which is quite uncomfortable. I don't have it AT ALL with this WOE. That means everything to me, because it made me really self conscious and I hated seeing how my legs would drastically change throughout the day.

An added bonus:
    Skin is clear, extremely soft and smooth, and the scars on my face (for whatever reason... I'm just noticing a correlation to this WOE) are lightening!

And of course, sustained weight loss.. kind of blows my mind because I have been listening to my body and eating a ton, yet everything seems to be balancing out.. *knock on wood*

I need to remember these things, in case I am tempted to stray. It's never worth it.
  • Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm still new; 3 weeks into this WOE (under 15gr carbs) and so far it has helped me with my carb addiction. This by itself is motivating enough for me to continue until I reach my goal.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    More energy, less hunger, weight loss, much better mood, better skin, encouragement from MFP Keto and LCHF friends, healthier gums, fewer BPH symptoms, better lab results. Maybe there are more, but I'm sure that's enough already. lol
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My goals include not only weight loss but getting off my medications for diabetes and HBP. I know my body can reverse the bad things if I keep treating it right.
  • danidanibobani
    danidanibobani Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I now don't have to buy all new summer clothes because I fit into all of them! And I haven't spent a single day starving so I don't go over calories for the day, which I did before this woe. If I can be freed from tracking every calorie, that would be wonderful! I have spent years doing that and yoyoing during that time and I would love to just stabilize. I am also free from my sugar addiction! I went to my in-laws and didn't binge and all the sugary garbage they have there. I wasn't even tempted. Also hoping lchf will help with migraines. I typically get them once a month and haven't gotten one since I first started a month ago, so time will tell.
  • JustMe2C
    JustMe2C Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The main one for me at the moment is seeing the significant drop in my blood sugar readings in just over a month with this woe.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Because I was feeling progressively worse the last 2-3 years with hormonal issues I just thought was menopause coming on, terrible fatigue, foggy brain, stress, lack of sleep and more. When I started eating LCHF, most of that disappeared immediately within the first 2 days. So now I think I got extremely insulin resistant to the point of adrenal fatigue. I do not want to feel like that again. And of course the other benefits, I hope to take off 10-15 pounds, my hair and nails feel and look amazing, etc etc. Some of my numbers at last check were borderline on bad cholesterol and triglycerides and I expect those will be corrected. But mostly I just don't want to go back to feeling as bad as I was.
  • mamichula1173
    mamichula1173 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love it because I'm never hangry anymore. My blood sugar is stable without spikes and crashes. That alone is worth it.

I feel leaner every morning. I used to get so puffy and bloated.

Even when Im out drinking I wake up refreshed. Beer would be my go-to drink and I loved the dark beers. No wonder I was so bloated. I have completely quit beer. If I'm drinking its dry wine, vodka and soda, or rum with diet juice.

I feel more in control of my life now. I can't really explain it more so than that. I suffer from mild depression and although I still take my 300mg welbutrin every day, I feel happier. Not sure if its a placebo effect or not but I'm embracing it.

Sex. I actually want it now instead of feeling like I could be celibate forever. My husband appreciates this.

I'm actually losing weight and inches. I'm one pound away from weighing what I did 10 years ago.

I want to be a good role model for my diabetic husband and my children. I'm usually the one making dinner and I enjoy scouring the LCHF recipes that get the best reviews. I don't even tell the family its "healthy " anymore. I just limit the grains and sub out a nice salad as a side dish nowadays.

Geez, long post. Sorry!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I love it because I'm never hangry anymore. My blood sugar is stable without spikes and crashes. That alone is worth it.

I feel leaner every morning. I used to get so puffy and bloated.

Even when Im out drinking I wake up refreshed. Beer would be my go-to drink and I loved the dark beers. No wonder I was so bloated. I have completely quit beer. If I'm drinking its dry wine, vodka and soda, or rum with diet juice.

I feel more in control of my life now. I can't really explain it more so than that. I suffer from mild depression and although I still take my 300mg welbutrin every day, I feel happier. Not sure if its a placebo effect or not but I'm embracing it.

Sex. I actually want it now instead of feeling like I could be celibate forever. My husband appreciates this.

I'm actually losing weight and inches. I'm one pound away from weighing what I did 10 years ago.

I want to be a good role model for my diabetic husband and my children. I'm usually the one making dinner and I enjoy scouring the LCHF recipes that get the best reviews. I don't even tell the family its "healthy " anymore. I just limit the grains and sub out a nice salad as a side dish nowadays.

Geez, long post. Sorry!

Fabulous post!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Not being dead works for me. After the first few esophageal tears, it's good incentive not to have any more.
  • craziecritter
    craziecritter Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Mine is my heart, I had open heart surgery in 2012 @ 58. I now carry in me 2 cow valves. I've got to keep these guys healthy and happy. I had a great recovery and knowing when I get older I will probably have to have it done again I want to make sure I am healthy and fit. Also, I'm doing it for me so I can be around to see my 2 grandchildren grow up.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Knowing that I won't feel a hunger crash around 3pm and start roaming again in the kitchen area for free chips, puddings, crackers, sodas. They just don't call my name. I can stay on the program without feeling shaky or "starving" until dinner. I can eat real food and prepare it easily, no shakes, powders, prepackaged meals, that I have to buy and prepare separately, therefore it's more sustainable. If it's quick and easy to do, I'm more likely to do it. And, every week I'm seeing results in weight loss and get to chat with interesting folks on this board! All fun stuff..
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options

That sounds positively evil! I love it!

Education by example...
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'm getting back on board with Low carb. And I'm doing it to better my work health screening score. I passed last year doing LC, and I just felt better too.

Breaking addictions is trying my patience this time around. Everybody on here is being patient with me and my million questions, mistakes and what not. :) I appreciate it so!