Fall '15 babies

Options

Replies

• JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Oh no Summer! :( I hope your test comes back fine and that it's not as painful this time around! By one point... that's awful! Keep us posted.

poke - yay for rash disappearing! Hopefully that is the end of that. And yay for sleeping better! :)

Helen - I really like the name Clara. I think it's relatively popular now too or at least it's not unheard of. (I like to go for names that are common enough that people know how to spell it, but different enough that he/she won't have 10 people in his/her class with the same name.)

--

Today we heard the results from baby's anatomy scan and we found out that our little one is a BOY! We are so excited and now the name search begins in earnest! :)

We also found out that I have a low lying placenta. It's 18mm away from my cervix and apparently the number they like to see is 20mm. So I just have to take it easy until my next ultrasound where I will hopefully be in the clear. Besides that though, everything seems to be normal. I'm feeling kicks a lot now too so that's been fun!
  • RosieRaz
    RosieRaz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Oh that sucks....sorry to hear that Summer. Good luck on the fasting. I hope you don't get nauseous. Let us know how it goes.
  • poke987
    poke987 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @Helenmelon I love Clara! We have a balance bike for Wes, but my parents got it, and even at the seats lowest his feet just barely touch the ground. It's annoying! He's a shrimp though, always at 50th or below for height...

@Summer8it ugh. Hope it turns out to not be a problem for you. I got my drink today, and am not looking forward to taking the test either. Bummer for you!

@JustAnotherGirlSuzanne hope the placenta doesn't cause any trouble. Glad they are going to monitor it for you!

My Dr noted today a higher than average weight gain (27 lbs!!!!! At 25 weeks) he said since I was average weight to start he wasn't worried. But did make note of it. I'm going to take a few days to process and then monday it's back to logging! I know I'm eating too much... must be better! Also got the drink for my glucose test. Will do it next week or so. They gave a 2 week window for taking it. At my next appointment we will schedule the date and time for our section. Yikes! I'm pretty sure our dates will be either Sept 11th or 14th. I'm leaning towards the 11th, because it's a friday. Not sure about the historically significant date, but it works better than a Monday for bill and the big kids with work and school etc.

Have a wonderful weekend!
  • katiebrew
    katiebrew Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    @helenmelon29 I LOVE the name Clara! It has actually been my first pick for our little girl for a while... I'm just working on my husband ;) we already know the middle name will be Catherine (after my husband's grandmother) and I love the sounds of the two together... plus, Cece as a nickname? I'm already melting, haha... so I'm definitely with you on the name Clara :)

@JustAnotherGirlSuzanne SO exciting that you are having a boy!!!

@summer8it sorry to hear about the glucose test... I hope you pass it this time coming up!

@poke987 my Dad's birthday is Sept 11... I think it's nice to some good things like loved ones' birthdays on such
    a date :) Also, you may be higher than average in the weight gain, but can I just say how inspiring you are? I can't believe you kept up with your running and completed your goal of a half marathon... I am lucky most days to get myself peeled off the couch for a 20 minute stroll! AND that you made it so far into your pregnancy without mat clothes... week 8 and I was into the stretchy jeans, blah.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    @poke987 I agree with @katiebrew ! You kept up your running so well and that's great! If you were within a normal bmi range then gaining up to 35 lbs is normal still; I'm sure that any swelling plays a factor and that logging will help to control future gains. I've also heard that a lot of women don't gain at all in the last few weeks too, so cross your fingers? :)
  • poke987
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I've logged today, and made myself a calorie goal. I had planned to exercise today too, but I've got a sick horse who zapped all my time (and energy) and, despite a bit of a crisis feeling I've kept away from the snacks!

My eldest step daughter graduated high school this last weekend. I was pretty happy to fit into a regular size 8 dress (with an empire waist) that zipped up the back! I know it must have been a generous 8, but none these less it made me feel better about the while thing!

Yes, 35 lbs will be ok... it's just that if I keep gaining at this rate I'll blow that out of the water! So, I log this week and see if the accountability helps slow the gain. Thanks again for the kind words and encouragment!
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Morning all

Suzanne - congrats on the boy thats fab news. Hopefully the placenta will move up. I guess if it does they will do a c section? (as it it blocking the exit route?)

Katie - Are you in the UK? I like Clara Catherine. We not sure on middle name My Gran is Clara May. We were going to use Elizabeth as middle name last time (OH Mam name) but not 100%. Clara is an old style name (well here it is) so maybe need more common/ modern middle name?

Poke - Isaac loves his balance bike, we have had to lift the seat a little. He is quite tall though but slim build. He isnt gliding yet but running along on it.

Try not to worry about the weight gain, esp as you are still active and fit. I think sometimes whatever you do some people just gain more than others. Fab on the size 8 dress you cant of gained weight anyhere except your belly if it zips up ok? Its funny as here we never get weighed when going to midwife etc. Obviously you still gain but no one is judging you on it.

I went to my first pre natal pilates class yest. It was very easy going the the lady teaching was very knowledgable. There was Post pregnancy there too so was nice to hear what exercises etc for afterwards (you can take your baby too). She checked it each individually re doing stomach exercises and told them the level they were able to manage etc.

The weather has picked up here and the sun is out - still only 16c but much better than it was.

Have a good day
    Helen
    26 weeks up 14.5lb

• KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies!!!! I've been a bit absent so I figured I would check in. Welcome to the new ladies!!!! I'm 20 weeks along w/ twin boys. Just had an appointment and discussed my weight gain and FINALLY got some direction. I feel like I've been guessing this whole time and it's nice to have a concrete goal. I'm 17 lbs up and the doctor said she wants me to gain about 25-30 lbs so I'm a bit higher at this point than is preferred. However she also said I need to eat 200 more cals per baby (not 300) and lower my maintenance cals because I'm not working out so much. (Thank god she has a clue as to how MFP works.. .we spoke the same language lol) So I changed my activity level to sedentary and set my goal to maintenance. If I get in any good workouts I will log those, and I expect to go over my cals a bit because I have an extra 400 cal buffer. It's all coming together lol

Anyways... Summer, sorry to hear about the glucose test. Hope you pass the next one!!!!
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Poke, September 11 is my birthday! I wouldn't be surprised if it is my baby's birthday, too. I like to think of it as Ethiopian New Year, which is called Enkutatash in Amharic, the majority language. Enkutatash means "a gift of jewels." Thinking of it that way, it's a beautiful day to have a baby.

(And I'm from Washington, DC, so i was right in the thick of the historical events in 2001. That was a very strange day in the city.)
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I'm not sure about whether I will need a c-section if the placenta doesn't move. It wasn't mentioned to me, but I will admit that the idea did run through my head. While I'd love to bypass labour if I could, I'd really rather not have to deal with a c-section recovery if I don't need to. (Of course, id rather have a safe baby no matter what method of birth is used to get him here :smile: ) My midwife made it sound like she expected the placenta to move though. The ideal is at least 20mm away from the cervix and I'm at 18mm so it's not quite on top and it seems quite likely that as the uterus expands it will take the placenta up with it and I'm holding onto that thought for now. My next ultrasound is this coming Monday and they said they would contact me with the results so I won't have to wait for my next appointment.

• helenmelon29
    Options
    I'm not sure about whether I will need a c-section if the placenta doesn't move. It wasn't mentioned to me, but I will admit that the idea did run through my head. While I'd love to bypass labour if I could, I'd really rather not have to deal with a c-section recovery if I don't need to. (Of course, id rather have a safe baby no matter what method of birth is used to get him here :smile: ) My midwife made it sound like she expected the placenta to move though. The ideal is at least 20mm away from the cervix and I'm at 18mm so it's not quite on top and it seems quite likely that as the uterus expands it will take the placenta up with it and I'm holding onto that thought for now. My next ultrasound is this coming Monday and they said they would contact me with the results so I won't have to wait for my next appointment.

Im the same re c section, as had one last time and like the idea of it being planned but recovering with baby and toddler will be much harder. My OH only had the day Isaac was born off work last time (my mum called each day plus some friends etc) but would rather be reovered a bit quicker this time.

I see the consultant tomorrow to discuss the best option, midwfire thinks she will be suggesting natural though. I will let you know.

Helen
  • KristenE83
    Options
    @JustAnotherGirlSuzanne and @helenmelon29 I know for sure I will need a c-section. My son was an emergency c section. If I wasn't having twins it would be debatable BUT since there are two the doctor said they won't risk anything and have strongly suggested the c section. I'm all for it just because I know it's the least risky thing for the twins but honestly I'm dreading the recovery....especially now that I have a 4 year old.
  • poke987
    Options
    I'm in the "for sure" section as well! This will be my 3rd. I'm not too worried, I've recovered well both times and while I know I may feel a missing piece about never having a vaginal delivery I take the Drs advice, and I'm not a candidate anyhow... so it's an easy choice for me!

My first son never came down, despite 36 hrs of labor. So we ended up in the OR. When they got to him, He had a full nucal loop, then the cord ran down the length of his body and looped around both ankles. Uh. Yeah.

Then with my second son my lower uterine segment was dangerously thin and my scar from my first section had adhered to my bladder. So, section we planned. And, then when they got to baby he had a full knot in his cord!

So thankful for both surgeries... could have lost both my boys...

I'll be choosing my date and time at my next appointment (28 weeks)
  • katiebrew
    katiebrew Posts: 103 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @helenmelon29 I'm in Canada :) I love the Clara Elizabeth combo.

@JustAnotherGirlSuzanne sending good, movin' on up vibes to that placenta!

I am also a "for sure"... I had a long labour too @poke987... they induced me with my son and I started getting contractions and laboured with them for 40 some hours but only progressed to 3 cm so they went in and got him. I was so thankful for a healthy babe, but so so tired... I recovered well but tried to do too much too soon. I will know better this time! I totally get the idea of a "missing piece" about not having a vaginal delivery... sometimes I wish I could but I am terrified of what might go wrong - my doctor let me make the decision and was so so good about her advice. I weighed it out and I feel it was the best decision for me to opt for a c-section again this time 'round - at least I know what I'm getting into! I am kind of scared of recovery too @KristenE83... but I think I'm more terrified of not getting a section... damned if you do and damned if you don't!

on another note... I am 25 weeks today and it's like I have hit a brick wall. So tired and no ambition or energy. I don't remember going through this with my son... anyone else struggling through their days? It's not pain or anything, just exhaustion!!! seems early to me to be feeling it, but that's the beauty of pregnancy I guess - always with the curveballs!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Lol, thanks for the "good moving vibes"! :) My last labour was pretty much straight out of a textbook. Water broke, got put on pitocin (yuck), labored, epidural, pushed for several hours, then baby was there 14 hrs from water breaking. I'm hoping for a similar labour and delivery again although hopefully without the pitocin.

That said, I am SO thankful that c-section are available and that women and babies have a much higher survival rate as a result of this knowledge. If I end up needing a c-section then that's just the way it is and I'm happy baby is safe. :)

@katiebrew I'm at 20 weeks and I'm already starting to feel my energy drain away... lol
  • helenmelon29
    Options
    Morning all,

There quite a lot of 'for sure' c sections in the group. I have seen the consultant and she was pro VBAC, she said there is a 70% success rate at the hospital I will go to. Any complications they will switch to a csection. They wont try and set me off if I go over my due date as they want me to go into labour myself, of BP goes high etc they will switch to c section.

I have another appointment with the consultant at 35/36 weeks where I have a scan and she will check she is happy with the size and position and my general health etc. So Im happy with the plan.

Katie - I read one of your posts after I asked you and didnt think you were in UK as you used the term 'vacation' from school, where here we would say 'holiday'. Thanks for the encouragement on the name. Im not 100% but cant think of anything I prefer. I was the same with Isaac - wasnt 100% but couldnt think of a better one. Are you having a girl or just planning a name? Think you are a week behind me (due 17 Sept). I dont know anyone except my Gran with the name Clara, my Gran does have a friend with a great granddaughter called Clara Ava though.

I havent been too tired but last few days I have as nearly 3 year old has been up in night (maybe funny dreams, not sure) so that hasnt helped.

I find I feel loads better with a bit of exercise but finding it hard to motivate myself to do it! Will walk the dogs after work tonight so thats something.

Bye for now. Hope all have a good day.

Helen

• brittk2013
    brittk2013 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hello, ladies! My name is Brittany. I'm 24 years old and due with my first on October 3. We're having a boy, Michael, and are currently 23w4d. Everything so far has been great. He's perfectly healthy, and we've had a pretty (happily) boring pregnancy. I went to the doctor yesterday, and they mentioned my weight gain. I've gained 25 pounds (13 in the last month) which is what they recommend for my entire pregnancy so I've jumped back on MFP, updated to my current weight, set to maintenance, and am keeping track of what I'm eating now.

I'm also throwing some exercise into the mix. My mom and I do walking videos every morning, and I did a 20 minute yoga video this morning.
  • KristenE83
    Options
    Welcome @brittk2013 !!! I'm in a similar situation as you. I'm only supposed to gain 25-30 and I'm just about at 20 now and i'm 21 weeks along. Even though I am expecting twins the gain isn't supposed to be double. I'm just getting back in the habit of eating well and working out. I figure as long as I do my best and eat well and work out the weight gain won't matter. I just know that I wasn't working out like I should and was eating like a cow so I was feeling crappy about my gain..... so I need to switch it up!

@helenmelon29 I'm having the exact same thing happening. I'm tired and have a hard time motivating myself to workout.. but once I do I feel better. I suppose just getting back into the routine will help a lot.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Hi Brittany! Welcome to the group and congratulations on your baby boy! I'm expecting a boy too on October 23rd. :)

My weight shot up this week so I'm going to work extra hard this week to keep myself in check. For this week I'm supposed to be in between 183-187 but I tipped the scales today at 188.4. :neutral:
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Brittany! I'm Summer, and I'm 28 weeks along... and I think I'm the only person here who opted not to find out the baby's gender ahead of time. I like surprises. This is a good thing, considering that this baby was a TOTAL surprise. We tried for years to have another baby after the birth of our son 12 years ago, and had long ago given up and decided to just be happy as a family of three. Now we're adjusting to the idea of having both an 8th grader and a newborn!

I survived my 3 hour glucose test today -- glad to have that over with -- and am hopeful that I'll get good results. I didn't feel too bad during the test, just tired, since I didn't get to have my morning cup of coffee! I brought a whole bag of stuff for my camp-out in the lab waiting room. I had a pillow, a big scarf to keep me warm, a good book, my phone, headphones, and my tablet. I was so glad to find there was free wi-fi, so I spent most of the time watching videos on my tablet. It could have been worse.

I'm up 21.5 pounds from my maintenance weight as of this week's weigh-in. I'd like to keep my total weight gain to no more than 35 pounds, so I think I'm on track to meet that goal.