Introductions! (Can we re-introduce ourselves in light of recent events?)

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
We've gotten quite a few new members here recently, and given some of the recent events, it would seem a good time for an intro thread. I always benefit from knowing who's here, who's approaching things as I am etc.

How does this sound?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'll start.

I'm Sabine. I'm 50. 5'6" 135Lbs.

I'm not low carb by some standards. I lost weight ONCE following a mish mash diet I created that was sort of mediterranean meets south beach (before the book came out, I hear a radio report or two).
    I lost by eating low glycemic carbs, lots of lean meats, nuts, seeds, low carb vegetables, some dairy, and later, some whole grains.
    I've maintained for 14 years with this approach. But when peri-menopause hit, I started tweaking and researching.
    I started looking at lowering my carbs with menopause having felt my own body's ability to metabolize carbs change, and hubs doing lots of research for me (free pubmed access) on carbohydrate metabolism.

I love vegetables. Hubs is a vegetarian. So my own diet tends to wander between lower carb vegetarian and lower carb with meat.

GRAINS are my biggest issue. I seem least capable of handling those.

I enjoy high fat green smoothies, and think they are a great way to add more plants.
    My current fav: 2 cups frozen kale/spinach blend, 1 cup cottage cheese or soy milk, hemp hearts, flax seeds, sometimes half an avocado. And usually a zip fizz orange soda tube (power vitamin) or some berries.

Currently: I run 3x a week, and lift 2x a week, and do Pilates.
    I walk around 15,000 steps a day
    We are active on the weekends.

I really like fine wines and good cheese and work them in as best I can.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm Geri. I am 48, married with three daughters. I follow a very low carb diet with intermittent fasting in order to lose almost 100 pounds to get to my high school weight. I also want to lose my diabetes and HBP meds.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I am science geek type. I worked with my GP and internist on a food strategy.

I was given guidelines and latitude. I came up with something like a moderate carb Paleo with less saturated fat.

I had high glucose, cholesterol, blood pressure and low outlook on life

We got to work ! Joined gym got trainer and heart rate monitor!

I landed on 1800 calories to average. 60 carbs worked.

18 months and 125 lbs later, I have an idea what works for me and why. My body is a chemistry set.

It has been a great adventure. MFP has only been a part of it for 4 month. The forums even less.

I have grown to enjoy our little group !

The App is awesome!

• CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I'm Tia. Years ago in college I lost weight eating 1300 cals a day. Went from 156.5 (not my highest weight) to 135 in 3 months. Kept it off with help of daily jogging. About 9 months later I lost another 12lbs with intuitive eating + eating for nutrition. I gained back some of it 2 yrs later by stress eating, and now I just want to get back to where I was (and even better!)

A couple years ago I tried the primal way of eating and absolutely loved it. I have a big problem with inflammation, especially in my legs, and hypoglycemia. When I ate primal, the inflammation disappeared and so did my crazy hypoglycemic highs and lows. It was nice not to have food control me. After going back and forth, back and forth, to what I *thought* might be the best methods, I realized I need to stick to low carb (which primal is, essentially). This is the first time I am actually counting carbs, and I find it very insightful and easy.

And that's the short version to prevent a 'tl:dr.' Happy to be here and nice to meet you all
  • mamichula1173
    mamichula1173 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. 36, married with three kids, 5'5.5" (why can't I grow 0.5"??), 189.4lbs down from 220 last Oct. I'm finally finding what works for me. I lost weight as a teen on Atkins but I never understood why I was always starving. I started researching keto in April and I haven't looked back. 16.6 of my loss has been in the past 7 weeks. I love the way I feel, look, and I'm not hungry. That's my favorite part, I'm not a nice hangry person.

I have a few goals. <188lbs. That's always been the number I get down to by dieting and stall and quit. So I'm anxious to break that.
    <175lbs will be my pre-pregnancy weight from my first child way back when I was 23.
    <165lbs will be the weight I was when I got engaged at 22.
    <155lbs will be my weight when I was 19 and felt absolutely fantastic.
    <145lbs is my 18 year old weight.

I am personally shooting for 135 but not sure if that's possible at my age. I'm looking forward to trying!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Hello, 35, married, two kids. I've been LCHF since mid-January. I'm having a rough night so I'm not posting my weight. Overall I've lost 7.5 lbs and according to my measuring tape about 14 inches. Yet I'm not really losing much in size, which is why I'm frustrated. I go back and forth on counting calories, right now I'm counting. I have stuck to this WOE almost to the letter and a lot of things have improved so I'm going to keep on. Good luck to all.
  • kimerz7
    kimerz7 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm Kim. I joined Metabolic Research Center which follows a ketosis based diet. I joined this group to get ideas and support on cutting down on my carbs. I'm following the center's plan more than I am counting carbs but I'm logging on MFP and paying attention to what works.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm Laura, 30 years old, 5'6". I started low carb at 240 lbs and my most recent weight is 167.2. I'm about 17 lbs from my goal weight. I've tried many different diet approaches in the past, but I didn't find success until I discovered low carb. I've fallen off the wagon more times than I care to admit. Mostly because I thought I could handle a healthy balance of starchy carbs and I just can't. I eat bread, rice, potatoes, etc and it's all downhill from there. This time around I have a much better handle on things.
  • danidanibobani
    danidanibobani Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm Dani. I did Atkins in my early 20's when I realized the majority of the foods I was eating were sugary. I had pretty good success, but of course, the sugar and carbs crept back in. I have always been a yoyo dieter.

I went vegan a few years ago because I had read it could help with migraines and I wasn't going to complain if I lost weight. I kept it up for a year and at the end of the year the migraines were worse than ever. So I tried an elimination diet, which added meat and a few veggies in to my diet. At that time my mom gave me a strong b vitamin supplement that I believe improved the migraines. But all of this lead to me researching different diets, which turned me on to paleo and the 'Wheat Belly' book. I gave up wheat for a while, but I could not shake my sugar cravings and had symptoms of hypoglycemia--turns out I was a point away from a hypoglycemia diagnosis. I thought, 'great, I don't have to worry about diabetes!' But then I started researching hypoglycemia and discovered I was more likely on the road to diabetes. So, long story short, I went back to Atkins, which has led me to lchf/keto--I keep to under 30 grams of carbs a day, most days under 20.

I've hoping this woe will help with the remaining migraines I get about once a month and will free me from the endless tracking of calories, and prevent me from getting the heart disease, diabetes, and cancer that runs through my family. And it wouldn't hurt my feelings if I lost 15-20 lbs.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'm 19, transferring to state in the fall after 2.5 years of junior college, biology major. 5' 2" on a good day, 145.4 down from 170 in January. I went form carbivore to low carb to keto and haven't looked back. I'm never hungry, constantly thirsty and an absolute tea and coffee addict. I fit into all but two garments that I've had since I was 12. I love my body and I appreciate what it can do. I walk around 13000 steps per day, lift hay bales that weigh more than me, and work side by side with a veterinarian(I'm going to vet school come hell or high water!) on calls at dairys and I can keep up with her.

Goals:
    140 lbs- Freshman in high school weight
    135 lbs - healthy bmi weight that is also a round number
    130 lbs- wiggle room for wearing clothes when being weighed at the doctors office
    120 lbs-if I'm still losing easily at 130 I'll keep going to my supposed ideal set by my docs

Fitness goals:
    Jog a mile without stopping
    Look bad-*kitten* naked
    Lift more heavy things(stronglifts five by five in the fall)
    A butt that looks like it belongs to a 19 year old

• pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    HI~~

I'm Robin. 57 years old, female. 20 years ago, I lost weight on a high carb, low fat diet (ADA exchange program). My job is extremely sedentary. Hypothyroidism, depression, generalized anxiety disorder, periodontal disease--all controlled. Auto-immune illnesses are rampant in my family, too. I suspect that my hypothyroidism is due to Hashimoto's and periodonatal disease is autoimmune, too.

I am on 1200 cal/day (I find that I do better when I count calories). 50-100 carbs. Typical Day:

B--2 TBSP chia seeds, ground; 1 TBSP coconut oil, coffee
    L--large salad (all kinds of veggies) 3-4 oz protein, Ranch, Kale
    D--3-4 oz protein, green leafy veggies, Salad, ranch
    S--22 raw almonds

I like all kinds of veggies. Fruit is usually a low GI fruit--berries, etc. Occasionally. Occasionally a sweet potato.

I was 255 May of last year. Now 215. Happy with my loss. Losing slowly is OK with me.

Workouts cardio daily. weights 3X/week. Started Foundation Training to strengthen my back. If you have back pain, check it out. Youtube TED talk by Eric Goodman.

What really helped me was reading "The Beck Diet Solution" by Judith Beck. It goes into the psychology of weight loss and maintenance. I learned many good tools there.

So happy to have found you guys.

Pedi

• Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Howdy! I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG)a year ago January. I have lost 132 pounds since then. I am seeking a long-term WOE - not super happy with the mod. protein, low carb, low fat plan I received post op. I have tried just counting cals, but my choices were often not nutritive. I also tended to avoid eating most of the day so I could eat whatever I wanted at night--VERY not healthy. Anyway, I have low carbed in the past and really liked it-- so I am "trying on" keto and if it goes well, will make it my long term plan. I would not mind losing another 10 pounds, but I don't care if I do or not-- primarily I just want to find something I can do long term without it turning into another job. I also know that sugar makes me CRAZY-- moody, super outrageous cravings, headaches, joint aches, etc.

I am tracking calories, but not "married" to having to be under a certain number every day, as long as I am in the ball park of 1800-1900.

I exercise pretty much every day-- cardio a few days per week, hot yoga three times per week, and weights a few times per week.
  • indychic75
    indychic75 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 39, diagnosed type 2 just over a year ago. I try to keep my carbs below 100 to keep my blood sugar in balance. I also could stand to lose 20 pounds. I fall off the carb wagon frequently, I'm 26 days solid right now...and on here because all I want is some salty popcorn at the moment. Lol. Reading the posts helps keep me motivated and on track!

• craziecritter
    craziecritter Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Sharon I am 61 and have been up and down with my weight all my life. In June 2012 I had to have open heart surgery for a heart murmur and birth defect the 2 valves were replaced with cow valves. After the surgery I went to a nutritionist to keep me in check and make sure I was eating healthy. She put me on MFP told me not to go over 1200 calories a day. Nothing was ever said about carbs, fat, sugar and etc! I was gaining (she left to have a baby and never came back).

In July 2014 I tripped over tennis shoes lost my balance and hit the front door and broke the bone near my left shoulder. I couldn't do anything for 9 months. They wouldn't operate because I was on blood thinners. Oh well I healed traditionally at least that's what they called it.

This past October I decided to go to a new nutritionist she has me on 1200 calories, 120 carbs a day. I've lost a couple of pounds but not getting anywhere. Last Friday I joined Atkins and I am doing 1200 calories and under 22 carbs a day. I am beginning to lose. Surprise Surprise. I think I am allergic to carbs. Since last Friday I've lost 3 1/2 lbs. I now weigh 227.5. I think I have been on MFP for around 740 days or so.

My dh has never had a weight problem he has weighed 135 since high school, he might weight 150 lbs now with work boots and jeans on. He is a very good supporter of my weight loss journey.

I really enjoy water aerobics and try to go 4 days a week.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    From my profile:
    I have been in the fitness & health industry for over 25 years, but have lately been dealing with ongoing health issues that have caused my 'retirement' from that line of work. Consequently, I gained 30 pounds over the past 4 years - lost it all & now on maintenance since early March 2014. (I lost with LCarb/LFat/mod protein)
    I've worked at the 2010 Olympics in Whistler, and enjoy participating in nordic skiing, biathlon, snowshoeing, canoeing, hiking and caving. I also love to read. My husband & I are into adventure travel all over the world - hence, the choice of no kids, no pets. Presently working in the Security and Policing field. As of June 15/2014 I am 21.2% bf according to my scale; 18.5% according to Military Fat2Fit Tools, fwiw. I have to eat gluten free for medical reasons. I'm interested in the science behind ketogenic eating for sport performance.

I am 51, and am 5'8", I have the bone density of a 20 yo (my brag lol since I just got it tested). Going through menopause now but doing some herbal things for hormone balancing that seem to be working. I generally keep my net carbs between 50 and 125 - depends on the day. I am not a huge meat or grease fan and do love my veggies and eat about 6 c a day before cooking. Only occasional fruit, mainly berries. My food plan is pretty close to Sabine's.
    My maintenance weight range is 130-136 and that's what my ticker reflects. Happiest weight is 132, but all my clothes except for a non-stretch pair of wranglers and a couple pencil skirts all fit fine right now. I'm new here but not to MFP.
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It's great to get the little bios and goal sets for everyone!

I'm 32, 5'7, and 278lbs, down from over 320. I'm following 20 net carbs, and I don't really track calories on purpose, but I am eating between 1200 and 2400 calories a day, depending on hunger.

I had precocious puberty (we're talking hair and development and stinky pits when I was seven), so I'm significantly shorter than I was supposed to be as my growth plates fused too early, but I have all the muscle mass for someone over 6 feet tall. I am much more heavily muscled than a normal person my height and weight and I suffer greatly from muscle tension because I am unable to stretch my muscles to their full length. It also affects my cortisol production and reproductive hormones to some degree. LCHF is affecting all of these positively. If I keep on top of my electrolytes, I have almost no muscle stiffness to speak of, and my hormones are slowly coming back into balance.

I also have PCOS, and pain/inflammation symptoms are almost completely absent since I started LCHF. I am struggling with hereditary female pattern baldness which is exacerbated by the (probably also hereditary) PCOS. I've noticed a huge reduction in rate of hair lost over the last month, which is extremely exciting. I've heard good things about regrowth when following a low carb PCOS diet, so fingers crossed.

My overall inflammation has decreased significantly. I had chronic inflamed gums that my dentists and I have been trying to solve for over 20 years, and it vanished completely within four or five days when I started LCHF. The transient edema in my feet and lower legs have all but disappeared, and I've dropped two shoe sizes since my highest weight and have had to buy all new shoes. Expensive NSV...

I've never been a proper weight as an adult, but I'm aiming for 160, which is half my highest weight, and then re-evaluating. My higher muscle mass makes estimating a proper goal weight difficult.
  • JustMe2C
    JustMe2C Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Great idea, Sabine!

I'm Carol, 50, 5'0", married with 2 daughters. I've always been a yo-yo dieter, having success years ago with Weight Watchers, but no matter which diet I attempted, it failed and the weight increased to more than what it was when I started the diet. After I had stents put in a couple years ago, I was able to lose 50 lbs. in 6 months by following a balanced diet. After my thyroid was removed, however, keeping to that balanced diet failed me miserably. I kept crossing my t's and dotting the i's...and my weight kept climbing, to the point I nearly gained back all the 50 I had previously lost. The CICO approach just didn't seem to be enough for me anymore. Research brought me to LCHF and I have started with the keto woe. I began at 212 and am now at 198 in a little over a month.

My family refuses to eat healthier and we own our own business, both of which brings me stress. That's why I'm so glad I found you all. I feel like I've got a support system now. :)
  • keemra
    keemra Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am 64, 5' 1.5" and currently 133 pounds, down from 148, 5 weeks ago. I have been living in Tokyo, Japan for the past 40 years. My whole nuclear family is morbidly obese with type 2 diabetes. Japanese life style (no car - walk to train stations and grocery stores) has given me a way out so far, but I constantly struggle with my weight. I am very insulin resistant. At my recent medical checkup, the doctor reviewed my medical history and said, "At some point, you will definitely get diabetes. When you do, we will give you appropriate meds." Nope, nope, nope - not going down that road.

I am also celiac, and have been gluten free for the past 30 years. But I still have a lot of autoimmune issues. (skin problems, digestive problems, inflamed joints, and debilitating post menopause symptoms). About 2 months ago, I came across research by Terry Wahls, and started on her protocol. It is essentially a primal way of eating, utilizing ketosis in the 3rd stage. I have been unwilling to give up dairy, but 5 weeks ago, I finally did. My skin is better, my digestion is better, my joint pain is almost completely gone, and even my hot flashes are less severe. I have also lost 15 pounds. I am not new to Fitness Pal, but am new to the forums. I look forward to getting to know you.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Nice one, Sabine :)

I'm 39, F. 5'7, 136 lbs today.

Weight loss story: I was always at around 130 lbs, up until I gained 70 (actually 68, rounding up) in my mid-20s after medication. Lost 30 lbs of that just by moving to a walkable city. Hovered between 170ish and 150ish for years, depending on intake. (I went to a lot of restaurants for a while.)

My big motivation came after a break-up, in my early-mid 30s. I used South Beach initially, then roughly ate at phase 2-3 for ages. I also counted calories, eating between 1900 and 2200 as I lost, with an aggressive increase in physical activity, for me anyway. (Running and low-weight circuits.) I'd been sedentary prior to that, excepting dance classes taken as a youth.

My initial goal was 150 lbs (from 178). I overshot that very naturally with this level of activity, intake, and diet, settling at 124 (+/- 2 lbs) for four years.

However, this increase in activity overwhelmed my hypermobile joints and apparently fragile tendons. I spent a full year, all told, on crutches and effectively housebound, with less than ideal MSK care. I've got multiple, now-chronic overuse injuries and osteoarthritis in several joints. I work around them as best I can.

I'm slightly bitter about all that. Maybe more than "slightly", because I went through the rounds with specialists trying to even diagnose things, initially. Specialists relied almost exclusively on unnecessary X-rays, badly and inconsistently read MRIs, and ultrasounds reported in the vaguest language possible. (My current physiotherapist laughed out loud at how uninformative one of them was.) The first few physiotherapists I saw offered outdated, useless therapies. Precious healing time wasted. I've got a good physiotherapist now, who's gotten rid of some chronic pain. But I reinjure easily, and right now, ordinary activities are difficult, and it's an unacceptable level of functioning, for me. I'd also like a better idea of how I can prevent future injuries, because it's now taking very little to trigger them. So I'm reluctantly steeling myself to see another doctor, with minimal faith in the bank.

Needless to say, I now support a cautious approach to fitness for new exercisers.

I regained 15 of the 50 more recent pounds I lost, with all the sitting and eating.

Given my reduced activity, I'm here to try to manage hunger with a lower calorie target. Going with moderate carbs (100 net) for now, which is working with my IBS.

I haven't read the popular books on LC diets that have surfaced in the past few years, but am amazed at the number of diseases that anecdote and serious research suggest can be at least somewhat relieved with LC or ketogenic diets. There's got to be something going on with this.
  • DissLocated
    DissLocated Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm 43, 5' 3" and 11stone 12lbs (and in the UK!) I've lost 3 stone this year and hope to lose another 2. I started off on Atkins but have now adapted it slightly - largely to accommodate Sauvignon Blanc. B) I count calories to help me with portion control but it's carbs I focus on, I'm always under 20g net.

When I was younger I didn't really struggle with my weight, exercised a lot and was quite fit. Then came marriage, domestic contentment, too many takeaways and a couple of babies and I gained weight. However, I managed to lose it, all was well.

Then mid 30s everything seemed to change. I would put weight on sooooo easily. All the conventional CICO, slimming world, weight watchers, 5:2 etc just didn't work. I'd put all the effort in and lose 0.5lbs in a month. Yet if I stopped making an effort, I'd pile weight on at an alarming rate. With hindsight I think I had/have IR. Once I started LCing it was like a miracle, suddenly my body was behaving as I'd expect it to. I'm now losing weight at a sensible rate and really, really enjoying the food.

I don't post a great deal on here but I do lurk and read a lot :)