Losing it. Control, that is.

Options
Katieusa68
Katieusa68 Posts: 27 Member
I have these days now. About once a week. I am cruising along, sticking to the diet, no problems. Then suddenly, I find myself eating 6 single serving bags of Cheetos, a roll of ritz crackers, and spoonfuls of peanut butter. More than 1500 calories. I don't know why I am doing this.

Replies

• lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I had one of those days today. Today I found myself hitting the candy dish at work. Not sure why, but I ate several pieces of chocolate. I'm not sure what triggered it considering I haven't slipped for a little over two months.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Katieusa68 wrote: »
    I have these days now. About once a week. I am cruising along, sticking to the diet, no problems. Then suddenly, I find myself eating 6 single serving bags of Cheetos, a roll of ritz crackers, and spoonfuls of peanut butter. More than 1500 calories. I don't know why I am doing this.

One thing you could try, and this will sound very strange, would be to do this:

Before you eat ask yourself if you are hungry. If you are not hungry and you still choose to eat whatever it is you eat, you will say out loud:

"I'm not hungry but I'm going to eat this anyway"

Another thing you could attempt would be to evaluate your food environment. Do you have bags of Cheetos and sleeves of Ritz crackers lying around your house? Could you stop buying them? Could you make your access to those foods more challenging?

These are subtle things that can make a big difference for some people.

At the very least, I think it would be beneficial for you to try to identify what causes you to choose the food you choose.

Sometimes we eat because of hunger, but often times we don't.
  • Katieusa68
    Options
    SideSteel, you have some good points. I live in a house full of carb eaters. My husband buys candy bars by the case at SAMs. He has no problem eating one of something. However, I crave whatever is there that I like until it's gone. He has been good about only buying the candy that I don't like. Remarkably, the sweets have not been a real problem. Maybe because they make me feel so bad within minutes of eating them. So the home environment and the foods available are an issue that I need to address and make more changes. But the reason I eat all of that without hunger is a mystery to me. I tell myself not to, but my hand reaches forward and takes the food and then it's all over! I have maintained my weight for 8 months and I cannot go back to what I was. This scares me though.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    SideSteel, you have some good points. I live in a house full of carb eaters. My husband buys candy bars by the case at SAMs. He has no problem eating one of something. However, I crave whatever is there that I like until it's gone. He has been good about only buying the candy that I don't like. Remarkably, the sweets have not been a real problem. Maybe because they make me feel so bad within minutes of eating them. So the home environment and the foods available are an issue that I need to address and make more changes. But the reason I eat all of that without hunger is a mystery to me. I tell myself not to, but my hand reaches forward and takes the food and then it's all over! I have maintained my weight for 8 months and I cannot go back to what I was. This scares me though.

Talk to your family about how they can help you with your diet and your health by helping you manage your food environment.

One massively helpful thing you can do would be to make sure all of the energy dense "junk" foods are NOT VISIBLE in your immediate viewing area and that they are hard to access.

Got a box of ritz? Literally stick it behind a wall of canned goods so you don't even see it when you open your cupboard.

Bury the ice cream under three feet of frozen vegetables so you can't see it and so you have to work more to get it.

Keep vegetables (and fruit if you can fit that into your carb budget) immediately visible and convenient in your environment.

Doing this will potentially reduce your frequency which you eat junk food and it may also reduce the number of times your willpower is tested by these foods.
  • Katieusa68
    Options
    Very good ideas. There are numerous items we don't have because they tempt me too much, but apparently some other things need to be added to the list. Maybe my husband can lock his junk in the safe, lol. Thank you for the input.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    In addition to SideSteel's awesome suggestions, you can also try having a dedicated cupboard for that stuff. Ideally, up high if you're short or down low if you're tall (basically, a pain to reach). This puts them in a place you won't accidentally encounter them and makes it less convenient to access them.

Also, double check your food intake and goal settings. It's possible you're not getting enough fat or enough food in general (even if "not enough food" is 100 or so calories), or if you're eating a trigger food (artificial sweeteners are a common one). Try tweaking and see if that reduces the drive.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    One of my issues, in the beginning, was just breaking the habit of mindless eating. I used to sit a realize how much I had actually eaten and be amazed, as you are. Don't feel bad for not "seeing" a reason for it. But, breaking the habit comes down to choice. It was hard, at first. Felt like I was missing something. Now, after becoming fully adapted, I can reach passed the chips (that have been there for about a month since son had friends over) to get to the pork skins, and NOT EVEN WANT ANY CHIPS! That is the benefit of making the choice and sticking with it. It gets much easier! Good luck to you!
  • aspiedude
    aspiedude Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I've "fallen off the wagon". Hard. On my butt. I live with a parent and she loves junk and carbs for herself and my nephew and she expects me to just have "self-control" even though I'm trying to recover from binge eating issues. Soooo helpful.... not.
  • sass_hole
    sass_hole Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's real hard when you're surrounded by the stuff that you want to binge on. I am fortunate enough to live alone and never crave those things if they aren't in sight, but if I go to my parents house and see Cheetos, I immediately want them.

It sounds like some emotional eating, maybe? While this doesn't address the problem, I've found that having crunchy snacks around means I'm more likely to binge on those. Still not healthy to binge, of course, but pork rinds and pepperoni chips and dry roasted almonds are much better than Cheetos and Oreos, which are my go to "I could eat 5000 calories of these in one sitting" problems.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Had an emotional eating episode 2 1/2 days ago that took me right out of ketosis. Recovered immediately, but still not back in my keto range. I feel sluggish and am indulging in some self pity nonsense. But that's how i feel. Stopped going to the gym 5 days ago. I had been on such a good roll. I feel derailed and I'm beating myself up even as I'm telling myself not to! Family stuff hurts, I already know that. For right now, my plan is get back in ketosis, then back to the gym. Put it all in the rear view mirror and don't look back. It's nice to have a place to say this, so I don't wind up stuffing it or eating it.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @elize7 I know exactly what you mean. Coming here and posting or reading others posts helps me refocus on what my goals are and levels me out so the stress eating stays away
  • Katieusa68
    Options
    So last night I moved the families junk food out of the pantry and into an upper cabinet and moved my empty food containers into the pantry. I might up my calories a little. Maybe I am being too restrictive. Thanks for the advise.
  • aspiedude
    aspiedude Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Way to go. I'm starting fresh today. Want to join me and get refocused?
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you are doing ketogenic diet, and you have these problems, maybe you should take it slow. Go down slowly with carbs.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Going slow might be a good idea. I was a candy junkie! Anytime I had to go to a store for anything I couldn't resist buying Lemonhead chewy candies or Zours! I love those things!
    When I was toying with the idea of Keto, I thought there is no way I could just have no sugar at all. It just won't work. I decided to try to go 1 month without any candy of anykind. If I could do that then I was ready to start.
    It worked out perfectly! I had already kicked my sugar habit (which was the cravings I always had) before I even started working toward low carb.
  • Katieusa68
    Options
    I am usually less than 20 grams one carbs daily...except when I binge.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

IMHO, you're better off having some delicious fat bombs around. Have them at work and home in the fridge. They last quite a while if you put in a sealed container. Try one of these recipes:

Putting Chocolate Back Together Recipe
    Almond Joy Wanna Be's (fat bomb recipe)
    Raspberry Fat Bombs
    Chocolate Covered Strawberry Fat Bombs
    Cocoa Butter @ www.bulkapothecary.com
    Cocoa Dusted Nuts Recipe
    I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

• Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I agree with Dan. 1500 calories is not a huge amount. If you really are hungry, try having some fat first. A fat bomb or I find even a spoonful of double (heavy cream) can go a long way to staving off carb cravings.