New members - tell us about yourself

Options

Replies

• downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    laphibbs wrote: »
    Hi all! I'm Linda. I turn 50 in December, so I thought this would be a great group for me to join! I am trying to lose the same 40 pounds that I have lost and regained numerous times during my adult life, but this time it is being very stubborn and it doesn't want to budge! Something has changed!! So I am anxious to get tips from others about how to get the scale moving down once you reach "a certain age"!

Darn that age factor! :(

• BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    laphibbs wrote: »
    Hi all! I'm Linda. I turn 50 in December, so I thought this would be a great group for me to join! I am trying to lose the same 40 pounds that I have lost and regained numerous times during my adult life, but this time it is being very stubborn and it doesn't want to budge! Something has changed!! So I am anxious to get tips from others about how to get the scale moving down once you reach "a certain age"!

Welcome Linda, it great to have you with us.. we have some superb weight losses in this group, you will definitely benefit from their experience.. I know I have :)
  • BBee5064
    Options
    trail69az wrote: »
    Hello my name is Kasey I just moved to Scottsdale AZ from Seattle WA last year
    I love it down here....there is a park close to my house that has a very nice walking trail

Welcome trail69az. you new place of abode sounds delightful!
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Welcome Linda & Kasey! We look forward to getting to know you.
  • rgoins374
    rgoins374 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Rosie from South Carolina. I think I may be the senior citizen of the group at 69, 70 in October.

I joined Fitbit to be accountable and try to get more active. I had a full spinal fusion (T5 down to S1) in June of 2013. I had surgery to repair a herniation of one of my incisions (side, abdominal, full back) in Sept of 2013. I was down to a decent weight after the surgery but was housebound after my husband was injured in a mountain bike wreck and a month later was involved in an auto accident. He had 10-14 rib fractures so I was here 24/7 with him. We sat around snacking and I started putting the weight back on.

I had another surgery to remove some of the hardware in my thoracic spine in November of 2014. Even though it was a pretty simple procedure, it took a toll on me. I just did not feel like getting out. Walking is uncomfortable because of the position changes when my spine was straightened; then again when the hardware was removed. The muscles in my hips protest most of the time with multiple trigger points.

I am married to a great man and I have 2 children and 5 grandchildren. My grands are the joy of my life. We also have 2 mini dachshunds and a Jack Russell. They are not on the same potty schedule and keep me busy opening the door to let them out and in.

I have found that I feel better and lose weight on a hybrid Keto/Paleo diet. It is easier for me due to a soy allergy.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi, I'm Mike, 54 years young. Been on MFP since November 2012 if I recall correctly. Initially lost 64 pounds and now my weight is back up to 217 again. I'm continuing to lose once more, but I have a way to go before I ease up. First stop will be onederland.... ahhh again, ....17 pounds from now. From there, I'm headed toward my original goal weight of 180 lbs and then I'll re-evaluate my well-being. I'm pretty active and I like being outdoors.... when I'm not sitting in my office at my desk. I walk, I ride a bike or four, I sea kayak, I fish, and quite possibly... I eat too much. My newest past-time is now my granddaughter, Olivia Rose born this past Friday. Imma' gonna' be a busy grandaddy.... ahem...guy! But it's all good!
  • Atparents
    Atparents Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Time to get back on track. Lost 35 pounds with MFP a couple of years ago, but all hell broke loose and here I am again.....having gained it all back....it took a while and had to relearn my bad eating habits, but I'm ready to start thinking about doing the right thing again....yeah me for even signing up again...one last hurray and starting to track in the morning and will go for a walk..... I promise myself
  • BRaye325
    Options
    rgoins374 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm Rosie from South Carolina. I think I may be the senior citizen of the group at 69, 70 in October.

Hi Rosie, welcome to the group. We have several members that are older than you, age is just a mental thing anyway. :smile:
  • BRaye325
    Options
    mikeyrs wrote: »
    My newest past-time is now my granddaughter, Olivia Rose born this past Friday. Imma' gonna' be a busy grandaddy.... ahem...guy! But it's all good!

Hi Mike, congratulations on your granddaughter. I have two grandsons and I just found out last week that I have my first granddaughter due in October. They certainly test your endurance, but they are so worth it!
  • BRaye325
    Options
    ....yeah me for even signing up again...one last hurray and starting to track in the morning and will go for a walk..... I promise myself

Hi Nancy, welcome back! Glad you've made the decision to get back on the right course again. We look forward to getting to know you.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you all!
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am 50 years young and the mother of three beautiful adoptive children - two girls and a boy. All are in grad school or going off to grad school in the fall. My oldest girl just informed me she got a job working in a law office which is great. My other two are currently working while they are waiting to go - both are saving their money as Mom has told them - grad school is on them! But I'm so very proud.
    I am the caretaker of my husband and father-in-law, both have some kind of disability.
    I have been called the bionic woman by some of my co-workers because I had both of my knees replaced at the same time. I am due to have both hips done - but I'm holding out for as long as I can. I've had surgery on both feet and back. As of late, I've had two spinal surgeries but I'm not letting them slow me down.
    Food and I have had the love affair that I'm ready to break up from. Oh, trust me I don't want to end loving food, I just want to stop it from being my co-dependant, my BFF. Food knows my emotional weaknesses and it's time to stop letting food have control.
    I have also had a love hate relationship with my weight. I have gone up and gone down, the infamous yo-yo dieting. I'm bound and determined to let this be the last time I have to lose this much weight. I've had co-workers tell me that they can see my weight loss. I don't dare ask family because I'm afraid of their brutal honesty.
    My reasons for getting healthy, not necessarily thin or skinny is for me first and foremost. I want to feel good in my skin, I want to be able to get off the medications I'm on and I want to be able to do the things that right now I can't do without panting. My other reason is for my family - if I am not healthy, then I can't be of help to them. My husband's disease will progressively get worse the doctor's have said. I don't know if I believe them, but I don't want to come up short only to find out that I didn't do what I needed to, to be a help more than a hinderance to other family members.
    What makes this time different? Because I'm ready. I was reading a book and the author said we always say we're going to try and do this or try and do that but the reason why we fail is because we don't commit. We have to commit to succeed and I am committed. Will I say that I haven't fallen down or at times reverted back to old habits - to say I haven't would be a lie to myself, not to mention others. I'm human after all. But nonetheless, I am committed to getting back up and keep moving forward. 13 years ago I committed to going back to school to getting my bachelors degree - it wasn't easy. I worked two jobs, took one class at a time, and took care of my husband who at the start of my journey had been diagnosed with cancer for a second time. But I stuck with it even when I felt like I was falling or wanted to quit. Trust me there were so many times I cried and wondered if it would be o.k. if I just quit - but God kept telling me I could do it. 13 years later, I walked across the stage, diploma in hand.
    So if I could stick with something that hard in times of difficulty - then I can do this too. I believe that the people in our lives are put there for a reason. So I am happy to be a part of this group.
    I may falter, but I won't give up. Thank you for letting me be apart of this amazing group of people. I hope that I can be there for you as I am hoping you will be there for me.
    Thanks for being my new found friends and support :)
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    ciacyrus, you have a lot on your plate! We are looking forward to getting to know you and support you as best we can.
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    50 and a half and don't want to reach 51 feeling overweight. I think that is enough for you to take in for now...it certainly enough for me. The last time I looked I was 30!!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,204 Member
    Options
    Amazing story, extraordinary determination. You can do this. Welcome!
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Ciacyrus, posted without reading anything and then saw yours. You clearly have an inner strength that holds you together no matter what. You are proud of your family, bet they are even prouder of you.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    rgoins374 wrote: »

I joined Fitbit to be accountable and try to get more active. I had a full spinal fusion (T5 down to S1) in June of 2013. I had surgery to repair a herniation of one of my incisions (side, abdominal, full back) in Sept of 2013. I was down to a decent weight after the surgery but was housebound after my husband was injured in a mountain bike wreck and a month later was involved in an auto accident. He had 10-14 rib fractures so I was here 24/7 with him. We sat around snacking and I started putting the weight back on.

I had another surgery to remove some of the hardware in my thoracic spine in November of 2014. Even though it was a pretty simple procedure, it took a toll on me. I just did not feel like getting out. Walking is uncomfortable because of the position changes when my spine was straightened; then again when the hardware was removed. The muscles in my hips protest most of the time with multiple trigger points.

I am married to a great man and I have 2 children and 5 grandchildren. My grands are the joy of my life. We also have 2 mini dachshunds and a Jack Russell. They are not on the same potty schedule and keep me busy opening the door to let them out and in.

I have found that I feel better and lose weight on a hybrid Keto/Paleo diet. It is easier for me due to a soy allergy.

Welcome Rosie, it's great to have u on our group :)
  • BBee5064
    Options
    welcome ciacyrus you have a great goal to work toward.. we will be their to support you :)
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hello, I'm Leo. I live in Lake Havasu, Arizona. Recently retired from the water dept. here, so I decided to get back in shape. 15 years ago I was in great shape, went to the gym regularly, had 14% body fat, but after quitting the gym it slowly faded away. So now I'm back and determined to get back in shape to avoid health problems I see happening today.

I recently had blood work done and a few things were a little above normal, so I hope when I lose the excess weight and exercise regularly, everything will be normal again.

I started dieting and exercising again in Sept 2014 and had already lost 20 lbs on my own. I joined MFP a month ago and so far luv it. It has made calorie counting so easy. I had never counted calories before and found now my weight is going straight down, before it would go up and down.

Since joining MFP I now have no doubt I will reach my normal weight and be in good shape well before my next blood work is scheduled.

Good luck to everybody, and hope you all achieve your goals!
  • bibliocephalus
    bibliocephalus Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    huraiva wrote: »
    huraiva wrote: »
    Hi all...My name is Karen. I am currently going through a separation and divorce and have spent the last 14 years putting his needs and eating habits ahead of mine, i.e Ihave been eating his size portions (he is 5'11 and currently about 375lbs). In comparison I am just shy of 5'3 and bouncing around 230lbs. If I don't eat the right size portion (in his eyes) or don't finish my meal, he gets upset and reminds me that I am diabetic and should eat more. I am doing my best to get out from under that...but for now am stuck. I have gained approximately 25 pounds in the last 3 years or so, and am really trying to reverse that most unpleasant trend.
    I totally get your comment on portion sizes. A real portion size is a heck of a lot smaller that what I was eating and my guy is always saying things like "that's all your having?, why bother"? etc. Oh and he big as well. 6'3 and over 300 lbs. Stay strong and positive changes will happen :smiley:

Thank you Deb...it's nice to know I'm not alone :) I know the changes will come in time :)

They really will! I was quite distressed when I started measuring and weighing my food, a real portion size was about 1/2 (or 1/3) of what I had been eating! I was sure it wouldn't be enough. But after a little adjustment, it turns out it is enough. I too find myself craving more food sometimes, especially when I am sad or stressed, but it has really helped me to keep healthy snacks around for those times. Hang in there, slow and steady really does win the race!