New members - tell us about yourself

Options

Replies

• BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    tami101 wrote: »
    Hi! My name is Tami. I am 50 years old. I have been a member of MFP since January of 2012. I have lost 62 lbs. and although officially 3lbs away from goal, I have been maintaining my weight for about a year now. My main focus now is on being healthy and fit. I am excited to be part of a group of people in the same age range. I am looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Welcome.. We are excited to have u as part of our group. 62lb weight loss is amazing.
    Please share any tips Etc..
  • BBee5064
    Options
    nev888 wrote: »
    My name is Nancy and I'm 56. Have been on MFP for a couple of years but just now getting serious (I guess better late than never). I've been doing Yoga and Reformer for the last few months and am definitely feeling better. The weight loss has been slow (only 10 lbs since January) but I can fit into clothes a size smaller - and - most importantly - I feel better. I've got another 50 lbs to lose, so could use all the support I can get and hope this group will help with that.

Welcome.. U have definitely come to the right place for support. We are all here to help
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    tami101 wrote: »
    Hi! My name is Tami. I am 50 years old. I have been a member of MFP since January of 2012. I have lost 62 lbs. and although officially 3lbs away from goal, I have been maintaining my weight for about a year now. My main focus now is on being healthy and fit. I am excited to be part of a group of people in the same age range. I am looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Hi Tami, Congrats on the weight loss and keeping it off - cheers

• marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Welcome Deb and Nancy, it is never too late to get serious. Make it a lifestyle change, not a diet. I learned that the hard way. WelcomeTam, congrats on the maintenance, I find that harder than losing.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options

Welcome to Tami and Nancy, so glad to have you on board!
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi All. I live in Southwestern Ontario and am a single mom of three (25, 18, 17). I am dating a wonderful man who is very supportive. I drive an hour to work each way and I love my job. I also have two books published and I will be starting another two shortly. When you want something done, give it to a busy woman. :)

Like some of you, this is my second time here. Last spring while trying to be more active, I damaged my knee. I had to wait until March of this year to get the scope done. A week after surgery, I ended up on the cardiac floor for 4.5 days. After numerous tests, they determined that I caught a virus that inflamed a part of my heart. It certainly was a wake-up call. I started back on MFP about a month ago and so far I've lost 8.4 lbs. It has been from changing the way that I eat because I'm still recovering from the knee scope. I'd like to lose another 35 lbs.

• marekdds
    Options
    Welcome, if you can recover from that, you can do this!
  • sweetd6
    sweetd6 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi. I saw an invitation to this group on the general diet and weight loss thread on MFP and came over to browse. I am blown away by the stories here and the fabulous weight losses I am seeing. The truth for me is that, except for after pregnancy, I have rarely been out of my healthy weight range, but am always struggling to get lower in it, where I feel comfortable. I'm 63, 5'1", and am trying to get to 118 at the moment, started at 128 and am presently at 123. I spent my 40's and most of my 50's at around 115 and then somehow 10 lbs. and more crept on that I am uncomfortable with, so I get rid of it and then relax and then it slowly comes back! When I do get rid of it I rarely lose more than 1.5 lbs. per MONTH, that's what it takes for a short, light, older female, so it's a long process. Maintenance is the hard part, no doubt, no matter the journey before. I'm presently following South Beach diet, and was tracking calories at the same time, but am trying to follow without tracking right now.

I have three grown boys and three grandsons and one granddaughter. One son with his son lives with us - they have been living here since my grandson was in kindergarten and he is now a freshman in high school so I became a sort of mother again, he attended all the same schools my sons did, like I did it all over again! It was a challenge and part of the reason that weight crept on I think.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Beth from the Los Angeles area. After being attacked more than once in the regular
    Forums I was happy to find this group! I am 55, married, no kids but my husband has two grown children from his first marriage and 7 granddaughters, who are a joy! I have yo-yo-ed all my life with the same 10-20 pounds. I lost 22 pounds 2 years ago and have gained 13 of it back. Want to get back down to my goal weight and STAY there. Joined MFP about a week ago to provide structure and support. I eat healthy except when I'm bingeing on cheese and sweets (my downfall). I am also a boredom and stress eater. I am active, especially in spring and summer...i do a lot of hiking and some backpacking. But I have a sedentary job (self-employed) and can be very attached to my couch. If not motivated I get lazy and lapse back into unhealthy eating habits, while skipping exercise.
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm Diane, from Colorado, and I'm 51. I've been on MFP for a long time, but I do a lot more lurking than I do posting. I love this app, as it has helped me lose 75 pounds. I have about 40 more to go to get to my first goal, and then I'll see if I want to go lower. I never thought I'd get this far, so I'm definitely in new territory. Ready to push through to goal!

I love the fitness part of losing weight, and a couple of weeks ago, I ran my first 5K. I work out a lot, and run 3 times a week. I'm married, and have 2 kids, almost grown, at 19 and 21 years old.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Boy you are right, maintenance is hard. I seem to have finally gotten it right, just have to be vigilant. It is harder to lose now. I am 63 also. Welcome sweetd6!
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Welcome getup25 & sweetd6.
    It's great to hear about you. Your weighloss journey, your family life & health issues. We can learn so much from each other's experiences. Thanks for sharing
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Welcome to everyone! Getup and Sweetd, you both have had enormous challenges of different kinds. I am sure you will both enjoy our group and find great support. How frightening it must have been to have picked up a virus in the heart. I hope that that issue is well in the past and you can focus on the rest. I think if my nephew lived with my mom til high school she would have passed out. As it is, he, his mom and dad lived with my mom from age 2 to 5. He is 12 now but she is still exhausted. We are still very active in his life. I don't have any children but he has been child enough for all of us!
  • Kekineo
    Kekineo Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hello all! My name is Kathy and I was invited by marekdds. I've been with MFP since January and I absolutely love it!! It's what I need to get/stay on track. I've lost over 40 lbs and still have about 90+ to go. I'm 51 yrs old with 3 kids (34,33,29) yes I started young. I have a 4 yr old grand daughter who is the apple of my eye. I've struggled with my weight since my firstborn. Then made it worse by years of heavy drinking. Long story short, after getting very,very sick I made the decision to quit drinking. I've been sober for 2+ yrs and it took until January for me to be healthy enough (mentally more than physically) to start focusing on myself. I'm feeling great!! I've got a Fitbit, I joined Curves and I must say I'm feeling for the first time in a long time good about myself! With the help of my MFP friends I feel like I CAN DO THIS!! The support is phenomenal and I can't wait to hit my goal weight of 140. Feel free to friend me but only if you're as excited about your journey as I am.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Hi Kathy, welcome to the group. You are doing awesome!
    I am one of the leaders with Jen. We have a wonderful bunch of supportive and knowledgeable members.
    Thanks for sharing your story. I look forward to getting to know you.
  • mewilmes
    mewilmes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    I'm Mary from the San Francisco Bay area. I've lost 40 pounds since July. 6 more pounds and I'll be a healthy BMI (the upper end). The doc wants me to be at the lower end, but I think I need to take a bit of a break and just maintain when I've lost the last 6 pounds. It is very slow going. I have an almost 16 year old who just got his learner's permit. I'm happy married and have two kitties, one of whom could definitely use MFP!
  • BrendaCombs611
    BrendaCombs611 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    Welcome to the group! We look forward to getting to know you. Please post a reply and tell us about yourself. Also, feel free to start a new discussion at any time on something you need to know, want to share, or just think might be fun.

• BrendaCombs611
    BrendaCombs611 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ian 54 and was just diagnosed with prediabet. Not supper heavy 5'7'' 162 but want to stop this now. Help!!!
  • BBee5064
    Options
    kheinl wrote: »
    Hello all! My name is Kathy and I was invited by marekdds. I've been with MFP since January and I absolutely love it!! It's what I need to get/stay on track. I've lost over 40 lbs and still have about 90+ to go. I'm 51 yrs old with 3 kids (34,33,29) yes I started young. I have a 4 yr old grand daughter who is the apple of my eye. I've struggled with my weight since my firstborn. Then made it worse by years of heavy drinking. Long story short, after getting very,very sick I made the decision to quit drinking. I've been sober for 2+ yrs and it took until January for me to be healthy enough (mentally more than physically) to start focusing on myself. I'm feeling great!! I've got a Fitbit, I joined Curves and I must say I'm feeling for the first time in a long time good about myself! With the help of my MFP friends I feel like I CAN DO THIS!! The support is phenomenal and I can't wait to hit my goal weight of 140. Feel free to friend me but only if you're as excited about your journey as I am.

Welcome Kathy,
    Thanks for sharing your story, you have inspired me xx
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Ian 54 and was just diagnosed with prediabet. Not supper heavy 5'7'' 162 but want to stop this now. Help!!!

Great to have u with us xx