6/24/15, Day 5

Options
KarenZen
KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
Good morning, and welcome to mini-challenge day 5!
Halfway home!
I am getting very good at logging my food--so easy with my smartphone app! Exercise has been a bit "creative" as our weather has not cooperated for swimming, but today is supposed to be warm and sunny, and I will be in that lake, probably with Skippy McGrape, my 8-year-old partner in summer crime. My "clean eating" goal is fun. Yesterday's moment of "clean" was to enjoy Jim's homemade garlic vinaigrette on my salad instead of the bottled stuff.

I'm feeling very reflective this morning--must be the influence of Zac--and I need to spend some time journaling I think. Or making lists, lol. I am a professional list maker! seriously. Sometimes if I am having a bad Still's day, I list EVERYTHING I need to do (e.g.: get up, pee, brush teeth, ice back, make coffee, drink coffee, find cable bill, pay cable bill and so on) to get myself moving and just for the pleasure of crossing things off!

I like this idea Zac has of goal listing all of the various entangled parts of life, because they're all interconnected. So weight/health goals, relationships, career, financial, etc., one informs and influences the other. Ideally, they would have a more symbiotic relationship, with success in one area leading to more success in another, but my tendency is to focus on one and let the others slide until I'm in crisis and have to shift focus again. Hence my multiple postings on MFP as I focus on weight/health, and simultaneously forgot to pay two bills this week, each with a $35 late fee! aarrgghh! Somewhere I have a watercolor painting I started called "balance," which is what I desperately need. I think I have a photo of it on my phone and will post it here.

Anyway, enough rambling! Unless Nancy is running around the desert on her KSA camping excursion, I'm guessing we'll hear from her soon. All you other later time-zoners, happy hump day!

K.

Replies

• KarenZen
    Options
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Well that certainly was a 'heavy' post Karen....I had to re-read to absorb it all!! LOL And there is that 'balance' painting I think you have posted it somewhere else....it looks like you are trying to camp in the mountains!! lol A la nude! Or maybe dancing with the druids during the summer solstice this week!! I have to give you credit.....you can draw....me...I can't even draw a circle!! But my brother can do portraits and my sister landscapes! I am a dud !

I am at home now, about 2 hours early to get my toilette fixed....it is constantly running down the back on the inside. I wouldn't normally be worried, but it started on one side two weeks ago and now it is on the other side. The problem with being over here....there are NO employees who are expert at anything in maintenance. They basically all learned on the job and are laborers! One of the guys already rushed unscrewing something and the heavy object dropped on the ceramic tile and took a chip out of the tile!! They just don't care and don't know how to fix things! PLUS...the water started to run, he did nothing but walk in it, and then walk from one part of the apartment to the other.....big ol' dirty footprints all over the place!!! AHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGG!!!!! If I say anything more...I will sound too derogatory!! So will keep my mouth shut!!!

OK, did my treadmill, got 45 minutes in and a bit more speed this time. Still am not losing weight coz I have not stopped eating, but at least I am moving and that is helping my knees and hip! Tired to eat just fruits so far....and will stop at 6 pm. (Now the idiots have moved to another bathroom!! The other two are dripping water, can't wait to see the mess they leave....just wish they would leave!!)
    later.....n
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Oh dear!!! Sounds like circus clowns are fixing your plumbing!

I had the opposite experience when I lived in Bulgaria. Bulgarian men were so used to fixing things with no tools, parts, or money that I swear they could rebuild a car engine with a paper clip, two washers, and a rubber band.

Good luck to you!

Hey Nancy, what kind of food plan are you following? How many calories do you try to stay under?

Oh, and yes, I have a whole series of naked women paintings, some I've posted on Facebook. I'm really good at drawing bums but not faces, so she's always facing away, lol!!!

K.
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Good day everyone!!!

I posted in the LCHF group my new plan. It starts today. I am giving up pasta, bread and rice. The pasta and bread I can't tolerate well since my RNY, but rice is my friend. With lots of butter and salt. So this will be interesting. I am going to build on this for about 7 weeks until I hit KETO. I believe it will put me in optimal health for life. I am starting at 75g carbs a day and working my way down from there till I'm at 20g a day. This is going to be fun. :smiley:

Nancy so sorry that the repairmen are causing such a problem and leaving such a mess. When I lived in Buffalo, NY and had issues, I fixed them myself. Product of being the daughter of a contractor... Learned to fix things.

I too like Zac's idea of getting all the goals together. Seems like when I get one thing fixed another is jacked up horribly. I'll work on journalling about goals today... Seems like a great idea.

Karen, cute pic.... I can't draw a stick figure.
  • KarenZen
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Oh! Cari, I just commented on your post on the low carb forum! Haha, I am Not stalking you, I swear! I've been in that group for ages but more of a lurker. I love all the studies that tq posts. Did you see the one on zinc?

Anyway, GREAT transition plan! I would also suggest repeating weeks as needed, like in couch to 5k. When I started getting sugar out of my diet, I failed repeatedly and would get soooo upset! And sugar is a mood elevator for me, so I would get really depressed too. My final "trick" was to give myself permission to eat anything else at all, ANYTHING for three days. Just NO sugar. By day 4, the sugar was out of my system and the cravings were more manageable. But sugar addiction is as powerful as heroin addiction, so don't freak if you find that the hardest part.

Once you've done it, each time gets easier. If I find myself craving sugar now, I go for fruit. Or if I want to stay in ketosis, I treat myself to a nice thick juicy steak and some summer squash sauteed in butter.

Low carb is DEFINITELY my body's favorite meal plan. I just function better, have more stable moods, less depression, more energy, better libido (Woohoo!), and the weight keeps dropping off. I'm thrilled to see you doing this.

Hey Zac, have you tried low carb?

K.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I'm not really on this challenge as I've only just wandered in but this week's goals are to stay in cals, no fast food and four exercise sessions this week. So I managed to avoid McDonald's post nightshift yesterday which is my usual Tuesday exhausted go to dinner. I did have chocolate after my ambulance trip but stayed within calories. Tonigjt is session two of four exercising. I'm going for a run then lifting.

Will have a proper read of the other threads later as the goals thing sounds interesting
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Great goals, Lise. I've read about your workout regime in the other morbidly obese thread and am really amazed by what you can do. I am also an athlete, or Fathlete actually, and was training for a swim race called Peaks to Portland when I ruptured a disc in my back. That's on hold now, but I'm still training as best I can to swim the length of our lake and back this summer.
    K.
  • maoribadger
    Options
    Yeah Im a Fatlete lol. Nice phrase. I've just finished up Superhuman and am now in training for 2 OCRs or Obstacle course races in Sept and Oct both 5k Obstacle courses.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Wow, I guess if I start my day at 5 a.m. instead of noonish, by 3 p.m. I am snookered. Just made myself an iced latte and will float in the lake for a while until my friend Ariel arrives for dinner and a catching up chat, maybe some crafting.

Tomorrow I'm taking Skippy for the whole day. Should be a challenge in my crippled state, but we'll make do. All the neighborhood kids will be home on Thursdays this summer, so maybe a good water balloon fight is in order.

I'm struggling today with hunger for some reason... feel like I want to keep picking at stuff, especially sweet stuff, and I think that's just the fatigue talking. I ate 4 no sugar added fudgesicles, a bargain at only 40 calories each but definitely not on my clean food list. hmmmm... I wonder if I can make my own? will investigate.

Hopefully you are all doing fabulous things today!

Xxoo
    K.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Ah ha! Here's one that looks easy enough. I might add some chopped almonds, pecans, or walnuts into these. Will let you know when I try them.
    K.

healthy fudgesicle recipe

(makes 5-6 pops)

2 tbsp cocoa powder
    1/2 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
    2 small, very-ripe bananas (200g)
    scant 1/16 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
    sweetener of choice, to taste (stevia, agave, etc.)
    optional: feel free to add peanut butter!

Healthy Chocolate Fudgsicles Recipe: Combine all items in a blender (I used a Magic Bullet). Pour into popsicle molds and freeze. Easy, right? As I said, the hardest part is waiting for them to freeze! A good way to remove pops is to run the popsicle mold under room-temp water for about 15 seconds, then gently twist. And the proper way to eat the pops is with chocolate dripping down your face.

Each fudgsicle will have 60 calories when made with full-fat coconut milk. You can use lite coconut milk, too, or milk of choice (in which case, they’ll have only around 20-30 calories each), but they’ll be less creamy.

Unlike real fudgsicles (the ones you buy at the store), these have no high fructose corn syrup or processed ingredients you can’t pronounce. They are completely free of any added sugars.

A true healthy treat that doesn’t taste “healthy.”

Substitution notes: I haven’t personally tried omitting the banana, so I can’t vouch for it… but some commenters have told me the popsicles are still good without the banana.
  • maoribadger
    Options
    KarenZen wrote: »
    Ah ha! Here's one that looks easy enough. I might add some chopped almonds, pecans, or walnuts into these. Will let you know when I try them.
    K.

healthy fudgesicle recipe

(makes 5-6 pops)

2 tbsp cocoa powder
    1/2 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
    2 small, very-ripe bananas (200g)
    scant 1/16 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
    sweetener of choice, to taste (stevia, agave, etc.)
    optional: feel free to add peanut butter!

Healthy Chocolate Fudgsicles Recipe: Combine all items in a blender (I used a Magic Bullet). Pour into popsicle molds and freeze. Easy, right? As I said, the hardest part is waiting for them to freeze! A good way to remove pops is to run the popsicle mold under room-temp water for about 15 seconds, then gently twist. And the proper way to eat the pops is with chocolate dripping down your face.

Each fudgsicle will have 60 calories when made with full-fat coconut milk. You can use lite coconut milk, too, or milk of choice (in which case, they’ll have only around 20-30 calories each), but they’ll be less creamy.

Unlike real fudgsicles (the ones you buy at the store), these have no high fructose corn syrup or processed ingredients you can’t pronounce. They are completely free of any added sugars.

A true healthy treat that doesn’t taste “healthy.”

Substitution notes: I haven’t personally tried omitting the banana, so I can’t vouch for it… but some commenters have told me the popsicles are still good without the banana.

Definitely one to try. Can you taste the banana. I mean even a trace of it bc Im not a fan of banana flavoured stuff. I would eat a banana happily but not in stuff if that makes sense, in which case I'll try it without. Would drop the cals about 20 a pop too Im guessing

Had a good day here. Did week 1 day 3 of couch to 5k and ran my fastest interval to date at 9.5km/h for a minute. Doesnt sound like much but Im 15 and a half stone so i take some shifting. After my run did 100 bench press and despite screwing up dinner didnt resort to rubbish and still hit 90g of protein though Id have preferred 120. Tomorrow is always another day though
  • ronercat
    ronercat Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Well I managed to get all my goals (long and short) listed out and entered into a spread sheet. It'll be very easy to track my progress and to keep myself accountable.

Karen, I have tried low carb and I didn't notice a huge difference. For my mother it is pretty much a requirement, but my body doesn't hate me to that point yet haha. My body seems fine processing whatever I put in it, but I am focusing on only having whole grains and reducing the amount of processed things I eat. I like the fudgesicle recipe. I will have to share it with my dad since ice cream is one of his big downfalls and that isn't good for a man working on controlling his diabetes (Which is something I am pretty sure I will have to face later in life since 4 out of 4 grandparents had it).

Tonight I have to take care of some things at church, but I am hoping to get in a good workout after. (I will push myself to make sure it happens) Lise, good luck on the training you are doing!
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Hey Nancy, what kind of food plan are you following? How many calories do you try to stay under?
    K.

Food Plan?? Whatdaya mean? Food Plan...I eat, no plan! Calories....haven't a clue! I know, I know! I should be following one, and since reading what you all are doing, I am going to come up with one. Last year when I lost weight, I just stay at 1,200 calories and ate fairly healthy. I just can't motivate...but reading all the ideas and what you guys are doing....I will get it together. I am reading a book on my Kindle and it is a good motivator too....the author was 55 yrs old and broke her ankle/foot anyway...she lost 90 pounds in just under a year and I like what she has to say. I am looking at your idea Karen of going off sugar for 3 days cold turkey....maybe I should stay away from sweeteners too....and only eat fruit in lieu of sweet stuff. I will think about a food plan.....I am still doing the treadmill and also not eating after 6 pm. I was awake at 1:30 am coz my mom skyped me and woke me up! It is 2:30 am and I want to go back to sleep til 4am...then treadmill and GRIMM!! Cheers!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    K.

Definitely one to try. Can you taste the banana. I mean even a trace of it bc Im not a fan of banana flavoured stuff. I would eat a banana happily but not in stuff if that makes sense, in which case I'll try it without. Would drop the cals about 20 a pop too Im guessing

Lise, I don't know what would happen with texture if you take away the banana, but I'm going to pick up some coconut milk and try it out. Funny, I like bananas but am also NOT a fan of banana IN anything else too.
    K.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    ronercat wrote: »
    Well I managed to get all my goals (long and short) listed out and entered into a spread sheet. It'll be very easy to track my progress and to keep myself accountable.

Karen, I have tried low carb and I didn't notice a huge difference. For my mother it is pretty much a requirement, but my body doesn't hate me to that point yet haha. My body seems fine processing whatever I put in it, but I am focusing on only having whole grains and reducing the amount of processed things I eat. I like the fudgesicle recipe. I will have to share it with my dad since ice cream is one of his big downfalls and that isn't good for a man working on controlling his diabetes (Which is something I am pretty sure I will have to face later in life since 4 out of 4 grandparents had it).

Tonight I have to take care of some things at church, but I am hoping to get in a good workout after. (I will push myself to make sure it happens) Lise, good luck on the training you are doing!

Zac, I am the ONLY person in my family (blood relatives), including grandparents (now deceased) and siblings who does not have type II diabetes. Even my younger, thinner (but still obese) sister has it. Most of them are on insulin at this point. My blood sugars run absolutely perfect, and I have them checked pretty regularly. The only difference between me and my family members is that no matter how fat I was, I have ALWAYS been active and exercised religiously, hiking, biking, surfing, and swimming for many years, and now just swimming, aquasize, and aqua tai chi. I am guessing and hoping that you will avoid that particular albatross if you stay as active as you are now, but the problem is that you won't be able to keep playing basketball and tennis and other sports at your weight, because eventually your knees and spine won't support you any more. That may not happen until you hit 40. Or it may happen when you hit 30. Don't roll the dice on this one (says the Fathlete at the keyboard with a blown out spine).

Another easy recipe for your dad is the frozen banana "ice cream" recipe. Just google that phrase and you can read all about it. Two ingredients (frozen bananas and some kind of nut butter. I made it with almond butter. Pretty good, and I don't even like bananas in stuff.), blend in a food processor. Eat. That's it.

When you have time, please tell us about your goals! I have a great worksheet somewhere that my shrink gave me that looks at goals and then what thoughts and behaviors lead to accomplishing those goals and what thoughts and behaviors lead to sabotage. I need to dig around and find it again... quite brilliant and definitely a tool we can all use.
    K.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Aaarrgghhhh!!! Oooouuuucchhhh!!!
    I'm typing with my laptop balanced on my stomach and just dropped the sucker on my bare toes.

Today was a good day, overall. Dinner with Ariel was great--big salad with leftover organic roasted chicken and some turmeric-roasted cauliflower (very good), which was my "clean eating" recipe of the day. Logged all my food. Swam for my exercise.

As Ariel and I were eating supper, my friend Liz popped in for a gossip. Nancy, she is SO MUCH like you, it's almost freaky. You're about the same age, similar height, similar coloring. She works in a hospital (she does something with seizure monitoring... I think she's an RN). She doesn't collect cats, but she does have a pony, a halflinger. The best part of having two girlfriends over for dinner is that the food is just there, very secondary, and the conversation and companionship are the most important parts. The salad and cauliflower tasted so much better, and the navel orange slices I cut for dessert were sweet and juicy and delicious. I think when I lost so much weight each time I lived in Europe, it was because I ate a lot of meals in that type of communal/friendship atmosphere, enjoying great conversation, maybe sitting outside in a taverna, really enjoying mindful eating. When Jim and I eat, we tend to just wolf down dinner in front of the t.v. , a habit we really should break. There's nothing joyful, celebratory, mindful, or sacred about that kind of meal at all.

I'm going to be busy with Skippy tomorrow, so don't expect to hear much from me (shocker). We're doing a writing workshop in the morning. He's working on a story about a boy who is a bully and the classmate who finally discovers why and helps him stop bullying. Pretty significant stuff for an 8 year old, but he's no ordinary 8 year old. I will NOT be working on my Bigfoot erotica during this writing workshop, LOL, but that's going back on the list of most important things to finish this summer. Afternoon will be water balloon time and swimming, then cooking time (maybe try a recipe for no sugar oatmeal cookies made with almond flour and fuji apple chunks?), then vegging out on the couch and watching a movie time before he goes home for bed. We haven't had a full day together for months, so this is a big treat for both of us! I'm so glad his parents are happy to share him. Just praying that my sciatic pain is manageable for the day.

Despite desperately wanting to, I did NOT get on the scale today to check my mid-challenge weight. I'm just trying to trust the process and believe that if I follow my goals, the weight will come off. Tonight's visit and my excitement for tomorrow reminded me that when I am happily engaged with other people, my struggle to eat well becomes much, much easier. And even now, when my company is gone, I have a happy glow that fills me up so I don't need to pick at the fridge. Three years ago, I would have made sure I had some kind of sweet for dessert, and after company left I would have waited for Jim to go to bed, then I would have eaten whatever was left over in secret and probably lie to Jim that I "threw it out so it wouldn't be a temptation." Two years ago I might have taken the left over sweet and squeezed dish detergent all over it so I couldn't eat it. Tonight, I cut up oranges for dessert. PROGRESS!!!!

Well, time to feed the meowing cat, clean up the kitchen, nuke my butt with some spine and brain numbing meds, and get some sleep. Good luck on challenge day 6 tomorrow! YOU CAN DO IT!

xxxooo
    K.
  • maoribadger
    Options
    Hope the toes are ok

Gonna pick some coconut cream up tomorrow then and give the fudgcicles a try thanks
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    You know, when I asked Reggie where he wanted to go for dinner, he picked a BUFFET. WTH was he thinking? BUT, I did awesome if I do say so myself. I ate a piece of ham, a piece of baked talipia, a fish stick (bad choice) and some green beans. I also nibbled on a piece of cheesecake but left the crust (figured that is where most of the carbs are.) Probably about a spoonful of cheesecake. I felt relieved when it was over and I left, but also felt empowered that I conquered it. Reggie said, "I thought you'd get some mac and cheese" my favorite comfort food.... BUT, I didn't. I made it thru, tough choices, but made it thru. I did go over on my carbs yesterday, mostly because of the almonds and peanuts I ate along with the greek yogurt. Won't beat myself up... Will just do better 06.25.2015.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Time to have a talk with Reggie about supporting you and making better choices, honey. That sounds like sabotage. But you did great!!!
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    I am not sure if he was trying to sabotage me.... I asked why he wanted to go there, he said because they had lots of choices that we could both have. He's trying to eat the same way I do.