Low calories, LC and filling foods

Options
SkinnyKerinny
SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
I just ate a huge salad of baby greens at 9:30 this morning because I was so hungry. I doubt this will last until dinner so I thought it would be awesome if we shared "go to" foods for situations like this. I haven't been so hungry like this since starting the LC 2 weeks ago. The only thing different today is a little less sleep and started taking potassium. It's probably getting less sleep that's making me so hungry.

I'll definitely be drinking a lot of water today but I'm hoping not to go over my calories if possible.

So do you have any fav foods that are low cal and LC?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Honestly, at the hardest moments like that, I find that something with caffeine allows me to focus, be alert, and stick to my guns. I know it is weird, but I always am less tempted to cheat when I'm well rested, alert, and able to focus.

That being said, I don't really focus at all on low cal foods, because my diet is high fat.... Are you looking for volume or satisfaction? Because I can have a small portion of say, macadamia nuts (high fat) and be more satisfied than eating a gallon of sugar free jello...
  • jennybird99
    jennybird99 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Did your baby greens have some nice oil or protein with it? I can last for hours if I've added fat and protein.
  • SkinnyKerinny
    Options
    Hi Jenny

Yes it had a can of yellowfin tuna plus avocado, cream and parmesan cheese. :)

• CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I just ate a huge salad of baby greens at 9:30 this morning because I was so hungry. I doubt this will last until dinner so I thought it would be awesome if we shared "go to" foods for situations like this. I haven't been so hungry like this since starting the LC 2 weeks ago. The only thing different today is a little less sleep and started taking potassium. It's probably getting less sleep that's making me so hungry.

I'll definitely be drinking a lot of water today but I'm hoping not to go over my calories if possible.

So do you have any fav foods that are low cal and LC?

Id like to know this too. Its unfortunate that most low-carb/high-fat foods are high calorie, and LCHF or not calories in vs calories out matter a great deal to me. I find myself going hungry a lot because all the things i can think of to eat would send my calories over.
  • SkinnyKerinny
    Options
    Hi Knit!

I think I'll try to take a nap today and see if that helps. :)
  • jennybird99
    jennybird99 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm tracking calories, too. But if I had to make a choice, and I sometimes do, I'd choose a little over calories but keep to low carb. So if you are not dairy free, for me that would be a cheese wedge and some kielbasa. Nuts, of course, but they are so high carb. I keep tuna, salmon and rotisserie chicken on hand, and I eat the skin or tear of a bit of meat.
    It's a struggle, learning to eat this way and succeed every day. So if I have high carb days, pardon me: WHEN I have high carb days, they are only high carb compared to how I WANT to be eating, not compared to how I used to eat or the SAD. Same goes for calories, some days are better than others.
    But this is endurance rather than sprint eating. If we are eating this way for life then highs and lows are probably better expected and embraced, rather than beating ourselves up.
    Awkward sentence. But I think the meaning comes through. If you are hungry, eat. Drink some water/tea/broth/coffee. And move on.
    You are on the right path, that you are choosing for yourself.
    Did you ever before picture yourself eating a ton of lovely greens in the morning? You rock.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I find that if I focus on nutrition over calories, I don't worry as much. If I keep my carbs to a limit, then focus on ensuring nutrition, I don't care as much if I go over calories. If I go over because I ate 500 calories of junk, then that's on me, but if I add some extra chicken and veggies to my salad and this pushes me over, I just don't care.

But, I also find that even an excess of veggie carbs makes me hungrier. I think that either my insulin resistance just has my metabolism so broken or I'm just super sensitive to some carbs.

My theory is, if you are hungry, eat. If it is true from the gut hunger, not the get stuck in my head or mouth cravings, I eat. Otherwise, I'm just continuing the cycle that got me here in the first place - which is ignoring my body's true hunger signals. I'd eat when I wasn't hungry or force myself not to eat when I was, and my body just got tired of trying. Now, I'm focusing on my body's signals, and it is just so much easier. Because our bodies should be able to regulate once we balance things out and fix what's broken...

It's just we've been trained so long not do that....it's another thing we have to overcome.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    A tums usually knocks out acid related hunger

A pregnant lady shared that with me

Just chew to calcium fortified tums and give it 10 minutes

I do that maybe once every week or so when a weird hunger pang strikes

Salty meat like a chunk of beef jerky and a big glass of water helps me

Or celery dipped in yogurt based salad dressing

• Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I've found that a handful of bacon puffs (pork rinds) does the trick for me. I think the salty crunchiness is what does it? 7 pces is 1/4 the suggested serving size so cals aren't too high & you're getting fat & protein.
  • randiewilliams72
    randiewilliams72 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I also read this. I would be hungry all the time. Even as I ate or right after. I would have to stuff my self to not feel that way. I read it could be from acid reflux even if I didn't have heartburn. So now I just take a low dose all day pill and it has helped.
    A tums usually knocks out acid related hunger

A pregnant lady shared that with me

Just chew to calcium fortified tums and give it 10 minutes

I do that maybe once every week or so when a weird hunger pang strikes

Salty meat like a chunk of beef jerky and a big glass of water helps me

Or celery dipped in yogurt based salad dressing

• SkinnyKerinny
    Options
    I used to have antacids all the time. Then I read that heartburn is caused from too little acid. I took some HCL acid supplements and in a few days there was no more heartburn. Also Tums have some carbs.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I used eat a hard boiled egg. They last up to a week after cooking. Only 70 calories, portable, and filling.
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I second the hard boiled egg. Eggs are the perfect food, and not carby like nuts.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time sticking to my calorie goal. I do not feel satisfied with the foods I eat, so I am constantly going over my calorie goal. A single egg would do NOTHING for me. Nuts do nothing for me. It's frustrating.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I am having a hard time sticking to my calorie goal. I do not feel satisfied with the foods I eat, so I am constantly going over my calorie goal. A single egg would do NOTHING for me. Nuts do nothing for me. It's frustrating.

What does fill you up? If you let us know, we can provide more suggestions. I love the eggs wrapped in sausage (scotch eggs). Each one is 300+ calories, and I can almost never finish two, which is crazy... Or deviled eggs, etc. As for nuts, I have to be careful, too, but I pretty much only do macadamias in small portions. The carb/fat balance is almost perfect for me.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I used to have antacids all the time. Then I read that heartburn is caused from too little acid. I took some HCL acid supplements and in a few days there was no more heartburn. Also Tums have some carbs.

I will look that up! Thank you for sharing !
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    egg salad with real mayo. Chicken salad with real mayo. Have it in the fridge. a couple spoon fulls when needed.
    Love me my may. Greens are worthless unless you add protein and fat. Egg salad on greens. Try that.
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Try more fat. Scary but you can do it. MORE FAT
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've been making batches of low-carb meatballs and egg muffins lately.

Meatballs: http://www.tastesoflizzyt.com/2014/10/01/paleo-italian-meatballs/

Egg Muffins: http://www.butterisnotacarb.com/easy-zero-carb-egg-muffins/

You can vary the meats and other ingredients in these recipes, and it's nice to have a filling grab-and-go option.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Another LCHF idea is a teaspoon of nut butter. Unsalted natural peanut butter has 32 calories, 1 g of carbs, 1 g of protein and 3 g of fat. It is usually enough to take the edge off for me. Macadamia nut butter is outrageous both in taste and cost but worth the indulgence now and then.