New to Keto-Looking for friends and motivational support!

Options
shrinkinmama27
shrinkinmama27 Posts: 36 Member
Hi everyone! I'm a 30 year old single mother that is DESPERATELY in need of losing 60-80lbs. Four years ago I was in the best shape of my life at 125lbs, but then things took a turn for the worse, and the stress packed on the pounds. I'm now 195lbs ( this is the first time I've ever admitted that ever!) and I don't even want to be in pictures with my son or my boyfriend.

10 months ago I started dating the wonderful man I am with right now, and I want nothing more than to get back to 125lbs before we get married! He loves me just fine now, and even says he's scared if I lose too much weight I'll be too gross and skinny ( never going to happen).

So yeah, I'm the largest I've ever been in my life, except for right after I delivered my son, and I'm at my wits end. I'm starting a Ketogenic Diet today and would LOVE any tips or advice from someone. I could also just use some friends that I can talk honestly about my weight with. I'm too embarrassed to talk to any of my friends or family about just how big I really am and it's lonely doing this thing alone.

Oh yeah, and my name is Moriah. Nice to meet you!

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    You'll find great support here. And great tips also. Don't be afraid to ask questions, even if you think we've heard them before. We all know how horrible the search feature is here and that no one can find the old threads.

Also, check out the sticky at the top for links to some of the threads about keto.
  • jamieandjason
    jamieandjason Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome. i am pretty new too I am on week 3 I have lost 10 lbs so far. There are a lot of really intelligent people on here so make sure to read the posts, I have learned a lot. You can add me if you want :smile:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Hi Moriah. I'm fairly new to keto and have stats similar to yours. Keto is working well for me now that I'm into the swing of it (first few weeks felt harder). I hope you enjoy keto too.

The people around here are very helpful and supportive. I'm sure you'll get the help you need from them. :)
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Moriah.

Firstly, well done for taking the steps to make a change. I think you're doing the right thing. Well done you. You've taken the 1st steps to a slimmer, healthier version of yourself, if that's what you desire.

My advice is to read through as many posts on this forum as you can. Gain as much knowledge as possible and dont be afraid to ask questions. We're all more than happy to help, here - its a genuinely lovely community: friendly, helpful & supportive.

Have you got any questions in particular?

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. Check out my food diary, and others in this group, for ideas on food choices. Im personally Keto and low calorie at the moment, as im pretty close to goal weight (albeit needing body recomp), so i eat below 20g total carbs a day.

What are your goals?

You will want to set your calories, with a suitable deficit, 1st and then set your macros (protein, fat, carbs) to your chosen ratios. I personally go for 5% carbs, 25% protein, 70% fat. You may want to set your carbs higher than that, particularly to start with, as adapting to low carbs can be tough at the beginning. If you're aiming for low carb id eventually aim for <50g carbs. If you're striving for Ketosis i would aim closer to <20g carbs.

The best advice i can give you though is to read, read, read. Learn as much as you can. The old posts on this forum are a great resource. You will find pretty much everything you need to know to get started and do well on these pages.

Good luck! Im sure you'll do great.
  • randiewilliams72
    randiewilliams72 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hello. I've just been doing Keto for 5-6 weeks so I am just learning also. I check the boards here every day to see what is going on and I am always trying to learn more and more. I'll send you a friend request.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hi Moriah, and welcome! I'm a mom of 3 little kids, and the weight just wasn't coming off after #3, until I started LCHF. I'm happy to say I'm back at my pre-pregnancy size and hovering around the same weight, though I have 20-25lbs to go to reach my goal weight.

I sent you a friend request. Welcome aboard! This is a great, very supportive and informative group.

Wishing you the best of success in attaining your health goals!

Mary
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You've come to the right place. :smiley: I feel your pain. 5 years ago I was in the best shape of my life until I gained 90 lbs (from a snowball effect from a horrible emotional situation), but I'm losing it and keto has definitely helped!
  • shrinkinmama27
    Options
    Hi Moriah, and welcome! I'm a mom of 3 little kids, and the weight just wasn't coming off after #3, until I started LCHF. I'm happy to say I'm back at my pre-pregnancy size and hovering around the same weight, though I have 20-25lbs to go to reach my goal weight.

I sent you a friend request. Welcome aboard! This is a great, very supportive and informative group.

Wishing you the best of success in attaining your health goals!

Mary

That's amazing and gives me so much hope!!! You all are so supportive already, I definitely found the right group!

• shrinkinmama27
    Options
    Welcome, Moriah.

Firstly, well done for taking the steps to make a change. I think you're doing the right thing. Well done you. You've taken the 1st steps to a slimmer, healthier version of yourself, if that's what you desire.

My advice is to read through as many posts on this forum as you can. Gain as much knowledge as possible and dont be afraid to ask questions. We're all more than happy to help, here - its a genuinely lovely community: friendly, helpful & supportive.

Have you got any questions in particular?

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. Check out my food diary, and others in this group, for ideas on food choices. Im personally Keto and low calorie at the moment, as im pretty close to goal weight (albeit needing body recomp), so i eat below 20g total carbs a day.

What are your goals?

You will want to set your calories, with a suitable deficit, 1st and then set your macros (protein, fat, carbs) to your chosen ratios. I personally go for 5% carbs, 25% protein, 70% fat. You may want to set your carbs higher than that, particularly to start with, as adapting to low carbs can be tough at the beginning. If you're aiming for low carb id eventually aim for <50g carbs. If you're striving for Ketosis i would aim closer to <20g carbs.

The best advice i can give you though is to read, read, read. Learn as much as you can. The old posts on this forum are a great resource. You will find pretty much everything you need to know to get started and do well on these pages.

Good luck! Im sure you'll do great.

I guess my first question is how sustainable has this been for everyone? And opinions on dairy? I bought full fat, organic dairy products, but now I'm seeing some folks don't use them.

My goal is to stay under 50g carbs a day for the first week or so, and then go below 20. Not sure if going straight to below 20 would be wise, or if it would result in a binge.

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me though I don't track much here anymore. I've found it pretty sustainable once I got to the point where I made it a lifestyle change. This is it for me, no going back. I may have a carb-y treat from time to time, but they will be few and far between. Dairy milk annoys my stomach but I can eat cheese in small moderation and I love Greek yogurt. When I drink milk its almond unsweetened. Since you bought the items, look at it like an experiment with yourself. Try them and see how your body reacts. Some don't do dairy and some are just fine with it.
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i find that I stall, and not lose weight when I go over 20 grams per day, and I am talking about actual carbs, not "net carbs", but thats me, everyone is differant, I find that if I go up to 50 grams or even 100 grams which some people consider low carb, that I also have to calorie count at the same time, and if I am going to calorie count I may as well eat "clean" type diet, oh and nice to meet you
  • _Virgo_
    _Virgo_ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I've been here for a little over a month and the people and the information and support they give are great! =)
  • CoinOperatedKitten
    CoinOperatedKitten Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey!! I am in a similar situation. I am getting married at the end of October and I really want to be back to my best weight when we met which was around 115 (I'm 4'11) and 5 years ago! We both gained the "relationship weight" together and now we are both doing LC. I started this Monday at 141.6 and am already down to 138.8 so that is really encouraging :)

I love to eat Cracker Barrel extra sharp white cheddar sticks, Boar's Head pepperoni, the Atkin's shakes (have one every day for lunch so far) and Cool Whip for a treat. Yesterday I tried pork rinds with Helluva Good French onion dip....amazing!!!
  • shrinkinmama27
    Options
    Hey!! I am in a similar situation. I am getting married at the end of October and I really want to be back to my best weight when we met which was around 115 (I'm 4'11) and 5 years ago! We both gained the "relationship weight" together and now we are both doing LC. I started this Monday at 141.6 and am already down to 138.8 so that is really encouraging :)

I love to eat Cracker Barrel extra sharp white cheddar sticks, Boar's Head pepperoni, the Atkin's shakes (have one every day for lunch so far) and Cool Whip for a treat. Yesterday I tried pork rinds with Helluva Good French onion dip....amazing!!!

Cool Whip is a treat? Explain!!! LOL!
  • CoinOperatedKitten
    CoinOperatedKitten Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

A serving size is 25 calories, 2 fat, 2 carbs, and 2 sugars!!!

A serving size is also 2 tbsp so obviously you will probably eat a couple servings but don't go too crazy.

• shrinkinmama27
    Options

A serving size is 25 calories, 2 fat, 2 carbs, and 2 sugars!!!

A serving size is also 2 tbsp so obviously you will probably eat a couple servings but don't go too crazy.

[/quote]

Sounds like something that could come in handy when I am also treating myself with an Irish coffee sans the sugar ;) Thanks!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
  • shrinkinmama27
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

Thank you so much!

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! You can send me a friend request too! Best of luck to you!