New to HFLC, and anyone lactose intolerant?

Options
Hey Guys!

I just started doing HFLC diet and I was wondering if I could get some tips! I started reading about Banting, anyone have a good book they like?

Also! It seems like a lot of recipes call for heavy cream and a lot of dairy. Any ways around that for a lactose intolerant person? I generally prefer almond milk...but that's not very high fat.

Do you find it important to pee test to make sure you are in keto?

And how often do you eat fat bombs and/or bulletproof coffee?

Thanks All!

:)<3

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am not lactose intolerant, but there are several who eat this way who don't do dairy. There are more non-dairy folks in the other group I'm in - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I'd suggest being in both groups, though there is some occasional overlap.

Using coconut oil with the almond milk and/or coconut milk/cream in place of some of the dairy can be beneficial. There are many more suggestions in that other group.

Peeing on a stick only tells you how much ketones you are wasting, not what you're creating or using. So at first, to ensure you're actually producing them before your body figures out how to use them, they can be a positive reinforcement, but if you keep your macros on track, you will stay in ketosis, and as you adapt, you will waste less ketones, so the levels on the sticks will become ineffective. Using a blood or breath monitor is more effective for monitoring continuing ketosis.

In the beginning, I ate fat bombs far more often. A few a day. Helped me adapt and get through. Now more I use an informal fat bomb as a dessert if I want something sweet, etc. Typically I might do one or two small servings of something a day, depending on what it is.

I do loaded tea, which is my version of combining bullet proof and primal (coffee) recipes in a tea medium (not a coffee drinker). http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/my-loaded-tea-746518

I don't have the link close, but www.healthfulpursuit.com has a "Rocket Fuel Latte" recipe which minimizes the dairy (because the lady who runs the site notes why diary is bad for women, and other hormonally driven info, too).

That's my recipe. I generally do my loaded tea 5 days a week, M-F, as my easy "breakfast" for workdays. Sometimes it results in a fast - other times it doesn't. I try to follow my hunger signals to repair my metabolism and my recognition of it and my responses to it...
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I am eating keto and am lactose intolerant. I do not make recipes that require dairy so I am probably not much help in this. I heard that people often substitute flax or sunflower seeds or almond/cocnut milk. You can add fat and create a texture/taste that works for you. I do not test for ketones. I know I am ketosis because I am rarely hungry and the weight drops regularly, plus my carbs are below 20g. No fat bombs per se but I enjoy a spoonful of chicken fat or fried chicken scraps on occasion.

Welcome!
  • Sharbysyd
    Sharbysyd Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I don't have the link close, but www.healthfulpursuit.com has a "Rocket Fuel Latte" recipe which minimizes the dairy (because the lady who runs the site notes why diary is bad for women, and other hormonally driven info, too).

Ah, you are familiar with Healthful Pursuit too. I discovered her about a month ago. I made her flax muffins two days ago and I really liked them. I haven't tried her Rocket Fuel Latte yet.

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Sharbysyd wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Ah, you are familiar with Healthful Pursuit too. I discovered her about a month ago. I made her flax muffins two days ago and I really liked them. I haven't tried her Rocket Fuel Latte yet.

Someone in another group posted about her and I found her about a month ago too. I haven't made any of the recipes yet, and I don't like coffee at all, but most of the ingredients I don't already have are cost prohibitive at this time... Her hormonal issues are almost the flip of mine, but it's still great to hear all the research and info.
  • Sharbysyd
    Options
    I'm just learning a bit about hormones now so I don't really know what mine are doing right now. I am on thyroid meds and get hot flashes so that must mean something regarding my hormones but I hope to learn more about it. Hopefully switching to high fat will help.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    If you don't already have an endocrinologist, I recommend getting referred to one and getting a full hormonal panel. Thyroid is part of the endocrine system, as are all the hormones, so if something is off majorly in that system, it will require testing to isolate the problem to be treated, not just where the blood is coming from, if it were an open wound, etc. Good luck in feeling better. And yes, my understanding is that low carb helps nearly everything hormonal! :)
  • Sharbysyd
    Options
    Thanks, for that info. I do have an endo. I'll have to ask her to do a full hormonal panel. Thanks again :)
  • susiean437
    susiean437 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant. I find it odd because it hits me very hard, I am sure you understand what I mean. But for some reason the 35% cream does not bother me in the slightest. Yet if I have a little milk of any kind I am running. Have you tried having a little cream? As I said my intolerance is severe. It used to just be gas when I was younger, but as I have aged it's ten fold. My thought is maybe the lactose isn't near what it is in milk. Not sure if this will help. It's just my personal experience.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    susiean437 wrote: »
    I am lactose intolerant. I find it odd because it hits me very hard, I am sure you understand what I mean. But for some reason the 35% cream does not bother me in the slightest. Yet if I have a little milk of any kind I am running. Have you tried having a little cream? As I said my intolerance is severe. It used to just be gas when I was younger, but as I have aged it's ten fold. My thought is maybe the lactose isn't near what it is in milk. Not sure if this will help. It's just my personal experience.

Someone explained to me something about the differences in allergies to whey (like in milk, I think) and casein (which is more the cream/hard cheese/butter stuff), and that is why certain things react where others don't. Don't quote me on all this, but I remember the discussion recently, so you might check recent threads for the discussion.