Been clean eating for a while...but MFT makes me feel like it's a starvation diet

Options
RavenC1357
RavenC1357 Posts: 1 Member
I've always been a healthy eater, but I kicked it up a lot lately. Then I got this app. I put weight loss but what I really want is fat loss and muscle gain. I feel like I'm on a starvation diet, even eating mostly vegetables, some gains, no breads, no junk. I don't know how I'm going to survive. Plus it says I'm low on protein, (I'm a vegetarian) but if i take a protein shake I'm sure I'll go over my calories. It doesn't allow much.

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie allowance? If you want fat loss and muscle gain, you could set your goal to maintenance and do a recomp (search main forums for dozens of how-to threads). This would give you a larger calorie allowance and make it easier to get your protein in.

Opening your diary would help people give you better feedback. When I eat mainly produce, beans and grains, I find my calories too low if anything. It would help to know exactly what you are eating.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Tofu? I eat a lot in soups with my veggies. The water base is very filling and it's normally so hot I can't wolf it down so more satisfying
  • rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I would suggest resetting mfp to maintenance and then add some additional protein.
  • kia_runs
    kia_runs Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    RavenC1357 wrote: »
    I've always been a healthy eater, but I kicked it up a lot lately. Then I got this app. I put weight loss but what I really want is fat loss and muscle gain. I feel like I'm on a starvation diet, even eating mostly vegetables, some gains, no breads, no junk. I don't know how I'm going to survive. Plus it says I'm low on protein, (I'm a vegetarian) but if i take a protein shake I'm sure I'll go over my calories. It doesn't allow much.

Kudos to you for eating healthy! You mentioned that you want to lose fat and gain muscle. I would reset to maintenance and stick to the fat content of your food. To gain muscle to may need to lift some weights. Adding exercise you would eventually need to eat more to sustain your energy level. Plants have protein. Homemade seitan, tofu, beans, quinoa, tempeh have protein.
  • misslisaaahh
    misslisaaahh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at any protein isolates? Since they're super filtered, they don't have as much fat or carbs as other protein powders and might fit into your calorie limit a little better.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I find MFP puts calories pretty low and I've had much more weight loss success when I manually changed things (why would it recommend 1200 cal but tell me I may enter starvation mode if I end the day at 1199?). If you are hungry, what you are doing will not be sustainable. If you are trying to build muscle, your body needs fuel for that. I think MFP is a great tracking system, but its default calculations are a little old school imo.