BJJ

Options

Replies

• zombiefarmboy
    zombiefarmboy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I tried in BJJ for about 6 months after doing a year of judo and karate before that. I feel like my ground was the strongest of anything I had. Sadly, I had to quit due to a long drive to class and lack of funds. If something opened in town, I might be able to convince my wife that it's a good idea for me to get back into it... you know, to protect the family from potential mma-themed danger.
  • gordan1972
    gordan1972 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started with BJJ (Gracie Barra) last week as an addition to my Krav Maga.
    I must admit that my ground fight and stamina is very low and I have muscle pain in legs, abs and back .. but I feel good because I will learn something new and burn a tons of calories.
  • RaleighRonin
    RaleighRonin Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I crash Bjj classes when ever I can. If I can find a school that can fit my hectic schedules and doesn't conflict with my Judo or college I will pick it up.
    The few classes I have taken has done wonders for my ground work and I have won a few matchs from sweeps into pins.
  • gordan1972
    gordan1972 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever injured his ribs during BJJ. I fell on my oponents knee and I heard some strange sound. I have not broke rib (I suppose) ... it do not hurt much unless I try to rotate my torso.

I know I must rest a while ... If anyone has injured ribs on similar way, how long does this take, few days, week, two week? More?
    Except resting, what can I do to speed up recovery ? Can something like Osteo-Bi-Flex be helpful?

Thanks
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I recommend having the doctor take a look. "Sounds" are not a good sign. While you may not have popped a rib, you may have strained/torn some muscle or tissure in your torso. Healing time vary especially if you insist on staying active or have medical trreatment.
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I crash Bjj classes when ever I can. If I can find a school that can fit my hectic schedules and doesn't conflict with my Judo or college I will pick it up.
    The few classes I have taken has done wonders for my ground work and I have won a few matchs from sweeps into pins.

Judo + BJJ has taken my game to the next level! I began with gi-style BJJ, swtiched to no-gi/mma training, began Judo, then went back to gi-style BJJ. Since 2007, I have entered 4 tournaments in played in 5 divisions. I earrned 3 silver and 1 bronze in local BJJ tournaments. The only one I didn't medal in was a Judo tournament, in which I still placed 4th after 2 DQs in 6 matches. ( I instinctively went for an ankle pick in one DQ and supposedly repeated the offense in my next match.) This year my goal is at lease one more BJJ and at least two Judo tournaments. My focus is on capturing a Judo medal, which I have yet to achieve.
  • cjsmommy7
    cjsmommy7 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I train kick boxing and mma, only just started mma about four months ago but absoloutly love the grappling in mma so intense.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    ME ME! Love jits. I prefer NoGi, but I don't mind working in the Gi. Helps me cut weight.
  • BJJJPM
    BJJJPM Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I see it's an old thread but here goes nothing... I train with Kroyler Gracie in northwestern Indiana. Just over two years and still as addicted as my first class when I got choked 20 times. It's the best fitness and mental health program I could never have imagined prior to beginning.
  • RonRoff
    RonRoff Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I train at Gracie BJJ in Rotterdam and in Gouda (Netherlands), sometimes do guest trainings when i travel, recently did a guest training at Gracie Barra Groningen.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I have been doing an intro kind of class for BJJ once a week for the last month or so (I have been doing fitness classes with these guys for about 5 months) and went to my first proper class on Wednesday evening. My new Gi arrives today and I have open mat tonight and a workshop tomorrow! Super excited!!!!
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I am definitely interested. I love all martial arts and try to cross-train as much as possible. Now that I have my Shodan in JJJ I may pick up BJJ as well :)
  • CallMePat
    CallMePat Posts: 74 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    T-Rex All day! Haven't joined a gym since I moved. I will be joining a new gym soon. I'm split between a MMA gym and a more traditional BBJ gym. Just got a new gi in the mail!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Studied JJ back in the 70's and 80's. Japanese. Long before anyone heard of the Gracie Family. I enjoyed it. Perfect complement to Judo and Okinawan style Karate (Shorin-Ryu). Switched to TKD in the early 80's. Only because I found a great Instructor.
  • RonRoff
    RonRoff Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've been doing japanese jiu jitsu on and off since 2004 and hold a blue belt. Now doing BJJ since 4 months and love it so much more. The effectiveness aswell as the reality is much better and adjusted to current times. I understand japanese people value respect but the sport needs to make its entrance in 2015 ;-) BJJ rules!
  • smo0thisf4st
    smo0thisf4st Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Never enough BJJ :)
    Looking for a stuff for cross quantification, BJJ training and food.
    Not sure that myfitnesspal is very helpful.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Hi to all. Matt, 43 years old, a recently promoted blue belt that started jiu jitsu wanting to do an athletic activity with my teenage sons (14 & 12). Currently 263 - goal to get back to 200, to help my jiu jitsu and most importantly just live a healthy lifestyle. Looking for an "accountability buddy" to help me stay on the path!
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Hi to all. Matt, 43 years old, a recently promoted blue belt that started jiu jitsu wanting to do an athletic activity with my teenage sons (14 & 12). Currently 263 - goal to get back to 200, to help my jiu jitsu and most importantly just live a healthy lifestyle. Looking for an "accountability buddy" to help me stay on the path!

Friend request sent. As a relatively new white belt I love blue belts because they have so much to teach me!!
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    CaptainBoing - got it. Looking forward to the discussion & journey!
  • Madmadz77
    Madmadz77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    the worlds longest blues belt right here!