FAQ - Syncing, logging food & exercise, calorie adjustments, activity levels, accuracy

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    When viewing the stickies, you scroll down to section below of normal topics - and take option to create a new one.
    And ask your questions, or look at titles of existing ones in the list - you may be surprised how many already contain your questions, and answers.

As to not posting issues and general questions here - that's just good forum behavior - that should never be done in the FAQ's unless about a question/clarification of what is in the FAQ.
    Plus it makes sense - few read the stickies when they already have. So you post just won't be seen.

And also - if the questions are about the Fitbit specifically - you do realize this is MFP, which happens to sync with Fitbit - this isn't Fitbit's forums where they have their own issues raised and questions answered.
  • Shandajh
    Shandajh Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Please bare with me. Where are the "stickies"? I've also tried the search feature. I do realize this is MFP but thought it was ok to ask questions here, according to the title of this discussion thread. So are you saying it would just be better to search the regular non-fitbit forums on MFP to post a question there? I have spent about two hours trying to figure out where to post what and trying to search for answers to my fitbit questions.
  • Shandajh
    Shandajh Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    you have this special group for fitbit questions that doesn't make it easy to search for answers on and your rules for what to post/not to post, are not clear. I can't figure out how you decide what's an ok question, vs. what is not. I just went into general discussions and typed in "fitbit" and it seems there are a lot of people asking questions there, so what's the point of having a group like this anyway? color me BAFFLED. leaving this silly & useless group.
  • heybales
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Ok, you are just confused over the whole group. Stickies are what you are posting these comments in to right now - they are always at the top of a groups normal topics - they stick there despite not being the most recent post - like the other topic posts below are. Hence the reason vast majority never look at them after viewed once.

I suggested if questions on Fitbit specifically - you should post on Fitbit's site - not the general MFP site.

And yes, the searching may not be great - hence the reason why I said scroll down and view the recent topic subjects.

So - from this point right here in your web browser - do NOT comment. Just go back 1 page. Backspace key, or hit your back arrow, ect.
    Now scroll down past all the stickies about "Charge HR users" and "Zip users" ect, keep scrolling.
    Now you'll see the normal topics that are sorted by most recently commented on.
    Read the subject lines, click on one that is about your device, and read it.
    You can keep doing that and probably find your questions, or notice at the bottom of the posts (not the bottom of the stickies) a link to create your own topic posting.
    Do that.

And yes, just because there is a group doesn't mean people are willing to look for one and discover it exists.

Do you imagine we are on the main forums looking for every single post about Fitbit's and telling them to come here?

Now there's a silly idea.

Suggest you learn to use the tools - if you give up that early and easy - you'll never make progress in life.
  • rcgiggles
    rcgiggles Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I feel silly asking this, especially after reading the FAQ'S but I need clarification. I have the fitbit One and I walk 3-4x a week for 45-60 minutes. I have a desk job so my activity is set as sedentary with 1lb a week weightloss. Do I need to log in my walking activity? I've been doing this and notice I get more calories on the days I walk. the other days not so much because I'm a little more inactive.
  • heybales
    Options
    Exactly correct on difference in calorie adjustment.
    No need to log walking, unless you did a couple hours fast pace at a steep incline, where the Fitbit has no idea of the incline and would miss out on bigger calorie burn actually happening.

You might want to create an activity record for the walks so you can compare stats down the road for the workout, confirm you are getting faster, or whatever to compare.
    Button press on device starts activity record.
    That is a snapshot of the stats for that time, that's all.
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to post this. Very helpful.
  • jennyco
    jennyco Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post. I have read through it and I am still a little confused. When I use my stepmill, I get that I need to start the activity and end the activity on my fitbit charge HR. I also get that I need to update the info because it doesn't accurately count the steps and calories. When I go into the fitbit app, do I:
    1. log it as stairclimber and it will adjust the calories (name the activity as stairclimber)? or
    2. manually add the activity as stairclimber and it overrides the activity?

Does the same go for weights? Press the activity button on fitbit and then go into app later and manually log weightlifting?

I seem to have stairclimber showing up twice somehow on my dashboard.

I am logging food with MFP and understand from this thread that I should track exercise with fitbit.

Thanks in advance for any help. I seem to be overwhelmed with all the info. :)
  • heybales
    Options
    jennyco wrote: »
    Thank you so much for this post. I have read through it and I am still a little confused. When I use my stepmill, I get that I need to start the activity and end the activity on my fitbit charge HR. I also get that I need to update the info because it doesn't accurately count the steps and calories. When I go into the fitbit app, do I:
    1. log it as stairclimber and it will adjust the calories (name the activity as stairclimber)? or
    2. manually add the activity as stairclimber and it overrides the activity?

Does the same go for weights? Press the activity button on fitbit and then go into app later and manually log weightlifting?

I seem to have stairclimber showing up twice somehow on my dashboard.

I am logging food with MFP and understand from this thread that I should track exercise with fitbit.

Thanks in advance for any help. I seem to be overwhelmed with all the info. :)

Why wouldn't it have good calorie estimate for HR-based device?

Might reread through the first few questions - you missed a couple points to answer all your questions. But this time you know what applies so can take it slower.

You can't correct steps anyway.
  • jennyco
    Options
    Sorry my questions were so muddled. Let me try to clarify.

When I exercise on the stepmill (the kind that is like a treadmill only stairs , so i actually climb the steps) I have noticed that the Fitbit calorie burn is a lot less than the machines total calories burned and the results I get when using my chest strap (Fitbit 197, machine 238, chest strap 334). I have also noticed that even with the Fitbit HRM set to on (vs auto) it spends a lot of time searching for a heart rate - probably because of how I hold my wrists on the machine - I am trying different positions to correct this.

In the meantime, is the Fitbit calories burned a number I should override? And what's the best way to do that? Through logging an exercise on Fitbit or in mfp?

Is that a little more clear and enough info?

The weight lifting question was a confirmation to make sure I understand: when weight lifting I should start the activity on the Fitbit and then later go in and manually log weightlifting?

Thanks again for any help. I seem to be a little slow on the uptake here. Must be the calorie deficit :smile:
  • heybales
    Options
    So you answered my question of why wouldn't it have a good calorie estimate for HR-based device?

Because it's not accurate on the HR for you and your workout as you've confirmed.

Therefore neither could calorie burn possibly be as good an estimate as it could be, and should be replaced with a better estimate if you have one.

I'd still suggest you reread the FAQ though - or you'd be able to answer the question as to where to log it - Fitbit.

Starting an activity record does indeed make it mighty easy to later manually log a workout to replace that calorie burn, because then you have good start/duration time to use.

You actually aren't joking on the side-effects of a big deficit, thinking can be impaired, because hormones can be messed up too. So do indeed pay attention if you notice some things are harder than they used to be - it could be true for a known reason.
  • jennyco
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thank you heybales, I appreciate your time and response. I was getting tracking an activity and logging an activity confused and when I read back through the FAQs I do see it says (a few times) track food in mfp and exercise in Fitbit. Now that I've logged a few activities correctly I see that it replaces it and doesn't actually duplicate it. I was also looking for confirmation on the calorie burn issue - so thanks for that too.

Thanks again for your help. And I will keep an eye on the deficit side effects - I'm in the last five pounds of a 35 pound loss. I appreciate how hard that can be on mind and body :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm in the last five pounds of a 35 pound loss. I appreciate how hard that can be on mind and body.

Set your goal to .5 lb. per week, and be patient.

And congratulations on your loss!
  • jennyco
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I'm in the last five pounds of a 35 pound loss. I appreciate how hard that can be on mind and body.

Set your goal to .5 lb. per week, and be patient.

And congratulations on your loss!

Thanks so much. Patience is a virtue - you're so right!!
  • tukneneng
    tukneneng Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    anybody else getting "Walking, 12.5 mins per km..." automatically added to diary?
  • chadisallin70
    chadisallin70 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm either a big dummy or I just don't have the patience to learn how to keep MFP interacting with my recently purchased Fitbit (accurately). Based on my job and activity level, when I first started MFP 4 months back, I chose "sedentary" lifestyle. My question is: if I use Fitbit just for tracking steps <initially> ...and stick to MFP plan of 1660 calories or less...is that ok? Even if I start doing 10000 steps a day? Or would that be "too much" of a calorie deficit? Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
    ~Chad
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    What I can't understand is why I can't get credit for walking 10000 steps and doing a workout. I know folks have tried to explain it but I must be dense. They are two discrete activities, I should get credit for both.
  • heybales
    Options
    tukneneng wrote: »
    anybody else getting "Walking, 12.5 mins per km..." automatically added to diary?

When you repost this in the main group topics so it's actually seen - include where posted - Fitbit or MFP.
    And what else do you have synced besides Fitbit to MFP, if anything?
  • heybales
    Options
    krenwren wrote: »
    What I can't understand is why I can't get credit for walking 10000 steps and doing a workout. I know folks have tried to explain it but I must be dense. They are two discrete activities, I should get credit for both.

If the activity level that YOU selected on MFP already was a big enough daily burn, it could already have 10K step calories included in it - so you getting the calories from 10K steps is merely accomplishing what MFP figured you'd do anyway.
    No adjustment needed.

Reread the 2nd half of the FAQ - you missed some points and overall theory of what's going on here.

• heybales
    Options
    Ok I'm either a big dummy or I just don't have the patience to learn how to keep MFP interacting with my recently purchased Fitbit (accurately). Based on my job and activity level, when I first started MFP 4 months back, I chose "sedentary" lifestyle. My question is: if I use Fitbit just for tracking steps <initially> ...and stick to MFP plan of 1660 calories or less...is that ok? Even if I start doing 10000 steps a day? Or would that be "too much" of a calorie deficit? Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
    ~Chad

Why are you trusting MFP's estimate of your daily burn based on your guess of activity level, and from that your eating level?

Why are you not willing to trust MFP correcting itself for daily burn based on what you actually do, and from that your eating level?

Bigger deficit is not better - you could already have an unreasonable deficit and some of your weight loss is already muscle mass.