Duck, duck, goose?

Options
toadqueen
toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
I'm going to try to get to a cage-free duck farm this Friday while visiting family. I think I had duck once as a child but do not remember it. The place I am going sells some charcuterie products including confit, sausage, bacon, foie-gras, etc. I am going to buy the confit and bacon and hopefully taste the foie-gras. It is very expensive so I hope I like it but not too much.

I looked up the macros in their products and they are very keto-friendly. More fatty than the chicken I have been eating daily.

Has anyone had any experience with duck? Recommended cooking methods that I could try?

Replies

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    We tried turkey thighs tonight to break the chicken rut. $2.19 a pound couldn't ask for better. :)
  • Glitterandketo
    Glitterandketo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I roasted a duck for dinner tonight. It really is not that different from chicken. The meat is darker but not much of a flavor difference, the fattiness makes it richer. I roast it exactly like a chicken only I never add heavy spice flavors because it really does not need "spicing" up. The great thing about getting a whole duck, you trim off the excess skin and fat and render it down yourself and you get about a cup+ of duck fat which rocks for frying radish and turnips like you would potatoes for hash. If you go to my profile there is a web address for my blog, I posted about it.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I roasted a duck for dinner tonight. It really is not that different from chicken. The meat is darker but not much of a flavor difference, the fattiness makes it richer. I roast it exactly like a chicken only I never add heavy spice flavors because it really does not need "spicing" up. The great thing about getting a whole duck, you trim off the excess skin and fat and render it down yourself and you get about a cup+ of duck fat which rocks for frying radish and turnips like you would potatoes for hash. If you go to my profile there is a web address for my blog, I posted about it.

I love duck, but have never made it before. My daughter made it for me last Thanksgiving. I describe the flavor as "Liver Light". Since I love liver, I love duck even more.

On the fried radishes:

Have You Tried Fried Radishes?

@toadqueen ~ thanks for posting, I now want to purchase a duck and cook it myself. I have a crock pot, maybe some duck soup? (do just like chicken soup)...

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / IF / Sedentary
    93 pounds down, 31 to go.
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I love to save the duck fat for cooking !
  • toadqueen
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was inspired by the Big Duck in Flanders, NY. My friend and I stopped by this weekend. I'm definitely going on Friday to the place I found in upstate NY. The Peking Duck recipe looks very yummy. I can't have soy or cornstarch right now, but I will see what the future brings. Hopefully, I can achieve the crispy skin.

I have so many jars of fats saved in my refrigerator. I look forward to adding the duck. Teaspoons of fat are my fat bombs plus I use it while cooking.
  • toadqueen
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I got 2 confit legs, duck bacon, and duck foie gras and they gave me a breast and 5 lbs of skin for free. I hope I like it. The fole gras was $$$$$$

I guess I should be duckqueen now lol
  • toadqueen
    Options
    Ya'll can come visit me in NY for a duck party :smiley: I have 8oz of the foie gras. Would it be too nasty on the cheese bites from another thread. I was just going to eat it on a spoon...tacky tacky TQ

or should I say "yous guys"
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Yum! Had a duck breast in a local restaurant recently, and thought it was much tastier than a chicken breast. It was grilled with a slab of fat still adhered to the underside. Delicious. I'll have to try making it at home. I wonder where I could get duck eggs and/or foie gras around here...
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Not ever having had foie gras, I ask without any point of reference: would it be good on cheese crisps?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Due largely in part to this thread, I tried some roasted duck (for the first time ever) when we unexpectedly went out to eat Saturday night. I was quite please, despite having to peel off the almost 1" thick layer of uncooked fat I just couldn't bring myself to chew (kicked in a gag reflex)... It was like the best combo of breast and dark meat, richer than either, and amped up by 100%... Of course, I hadn't eating in over 10 hours, so it could be partially that, too... LOL It was quite yummy and will be in my diet whenever I can get my hands on it, so I guess I started the August thing early!
  • toadqueen
    Options
    I have the duck filling up my freezer. I am cooking the duck breast and Brussels sprouts in either Hollandaise or Bearnaise sauce for my new boyfriend (!) this weekend. I cannot wait. We'll have the duck foie gras as an appetizer. I may let him have bread or crackers...

Thanks @KnitOrMiss. Your post has me even more excited to try it. I will have to find some recipes. I got my son's cast iron skillet this weekend.

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I can get an inexpensive "utility" duck at my grocery store. I don't care that it might be missing a wing or leg. I roast it and get rid of most of that fat layer by poking the skin and fat with something sharp. I collect the fat and save it in a jar in the fridge. There are lots of recipes and instructions online, but I think I used Mark Sisson's advice for duck and it was good. Not much meat on it, but it is that saved fat I look forward the most. I can't eat it like you describe above, but it is great when rendered and saved.