Portable cal/macro friendly meal ideas

SideSteel
SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
Hey!

I wanted to solicit feedback from you all on the following -

Share your ideas for food items and/or recipes that you can bring to work that are generally calorie/macro friendly (typically higher in protein, lower in cals/etc).

Please include breakfast and lunch suggestions!

Replies

• bimmer2331
    bimmer2331 Posts: 59 Member
    Cottage cheese/ greek yogurt + berries + protein powder
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    bimmer2331 wrote: »
    Cottage cheese/ greek yogurt + berries + protein powder

Staple of mine. Frozen Berries too.

Boiled eggs
    Beef jerky
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    A couple of hard boiled eggs and a big honeycrisp apple.

Greek yogurt and strawberries.

Grilled chicken breast and sliced up bell peppers.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    ScientificExplorerGirl Posts: 535 Member
    Standard Breakfasts:
    Greek yogurt with whey protein and berries
    Cottage cheese with whey protein and apple butter
    2 egg and 1/2 cup egg white omelette (sautee onions, red peppers, kale, spinach or whatever you like)

My standard lunch at work:
    Big salad with meat (chicken, tuna, ham, salmon, beef), eggs and sometimes with 1 oz cheese.
    Joseph's oat and flax pita and some meat for sandwich with side veggies.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    We have a full kitchen, so I can keep a lot here. Breakfast is usually a slice of Ezekiel toast with pb, protein latte (4 oz milk, 15g protein powder) and ice cream (sometimes one serving, sometimes just a spoonful - it cuts my sweet craving out for the day). Other is "baked oatmeal" (40g dry oats, cinnamon, truvia and 92g liquid egg whites, nuked for 2 minutes). 200 cals/29c/3f/15p.

I use Martin's whole wheat slider rolls (100 cals/17c/2f/7p) to cut a few calories and carbs on my veggie burgers (Morningstar Farms Grillers Prime - 170 cals/4c/9f/17p) and tuna sandwiches. I keep the rolls in the freezer so they stay fresh, and defrost in the microwave. Steamed veggies.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Omelet.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    For a protein snack, I love ricotta cheese + instant powdered coffee (any flavor, but I prefer cafe vienna).
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Variations on quinoa and egg "muffins". I have a fridge and microwave at work so not very limited. Generally I bring Greek yogurt with hippie seed additives and berries, a giant salad topped with lean protein, various fruits, carrots with humous and eggs. Sometimes oatmeal. Roasted vegetables pack well and are great to base salads around. I like a English peas for snacking (having to shuck them keeps you busy). Chia seed puddings and overnight oats in mason jars.

I keep protein bars, proportioned bags of nuts, chocolate and gummies in my locker.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    FoxyLifter wrote: »
    For a protein snack, I love ricotta cheese + instant powdered coffee (any flavor, but I prefer cafe vienna).

So you mix instant coffee directly into ricotta? Tell me more!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    My lunch almost everyday is 8-12 ounces chicken breast. Tbsp mayo. Two slices bacon. Sara Lee 45 calorie bread. 40 calorie slice of pepper jack sargento cheese. A peach. Diet mtn. Dew. I'm a breakfast skipper but it used to be full fat plain Greek gods yogurt and a sliced up peach when they are in season.
  • Kazzsjourney2
    Kazzsjourney2 Posts: 22 Member
    Breakfast I take oats and protein powder in a lil container.
    Snacks I take things like yoghurt and a separate container with seeds, nut mix. If I have the carbs a banana and some pb2. Or a quest bar. Apples. Get some fresh berries and dip In natural yoghurt and freeze. Make up a lil trail mix (9 grams goji berries, 8 grams seeds - I use a paleo mix and 8 grams chopped up dark chocolate)
    A lunch dish I take is salmon that I have dried fried with some miso paste and gave it with a soba noodle salad (22 grams dry soba noodles, half teaspoon of dry chilli flakes, chives, soy sauce) it's a good one for taking to work.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    edited July 2015
    Single serve tuna packets in a tortilla with cheese and/or spinach.

Cottage cheese on an English muffin.

Hard boiled eggs. Sometimes yolk is swapped for hummus.

Egg muffins - make ahead and freeze them with whatever ingredients- turkey sausage, cheese, veggies or whatever.

Overnight oats.

Mini turkey meatloaf "muffins" frozen in advance.

Leftovers.

Lots of yogurt.

Turkey burgers made with black bean/egg/oatmeal.

Soups / chili are easy to make in advance and freeze in 2 cup glad ware.

I actually eat a lot of breakfast foods for lunch because I think they're easier to prep in advance. And my lunches sometimes look more like a collection of disparate snacks than coordinated meals.

• aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    edited July 2015
    Stop at grocery on the way to work. Pick up:

1 bag of frozen, steamable broccoli ($2.00)
    1 packet of the 90 second microwavable rice ($2.00)
    2 packets of the Starkist Spicy tuna ($3.00)
    1 bottle of stir fry or sweet and sour sauce ($2.00)

When you get to work, microwave the rice. While the rice is cooling off, microwave the broccoli. When the broccoli is done, pour 1/2 of the rice and half of the broccoli in a bowl, add 2 of the tuna packets and sauce. Stir. As stated here (not including the sauce), it's about 3 g fat, 60 g carbs and 38 g of protein.

Can also add pineapple tidbits to get your fruit for the day!

Total cost for the meal (assuming you use half of the rice and half of the broccoli): about $5! Still have broccoli and rice left over.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    A small lunchbox cooler with a big fat sandwich.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Cold meat or boiled eggs, fruit or berries and a little cheese.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    following.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Lately I do a lot of tuna.

In the past I've done burrito bowls (shredded chicken, black beans, a little cheese, quinoa (or rice), enchilada sauce or salsa), chili, or soup. Soups are particularly good if you're trying to get in a few more servings of veggies. My husband doesn't eat many so making myself chicken/veggie soup to take to work is a good way for me to get in some extra.
  • timg760
    timg760 Posts: 115 Member
    edited July 2015
    awesome thread.

One of my many protein smoothie versions:

protein powder
    cottage cheese
    lowfat milk
    stevia
    greens (spinach, kale, broccoli)
    various frozen fruits for fiber, micros, and extra coldness
    blend smooth
    pour into travel drink vessel - BAM! Portable.
  • timg760
    timg760 Posts: 115 Member
    timg760 wrote: »
    awesome thread.

One of my many protein smoothie versions:

protein powder
    cottage cheese
    lowfat milk
    stevia
    various frozen fruits for fiber, micros, and extra coldness
    blend smooth
    pour into travel drink vessel - BAM! Portable.

other options:
    sweetened OR unsweetened dark chocolate powder
    honey
    molasses
    peanut butter

sub in ice/water for the frozen fruits/milk if you need to. Really, smoothies are super-flexible. And this one is FILLING.
  • landonfloen
    landonfloen Posts: 18 Member
    Great thread idea.

My go-to is greek yogurt+oats+berries+whey+cinnamon.
    You can really adjust the macros however you want. If I need fat I use the 2%yogurt.