Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Portable cal/macro friendly meal ideas

SideSteel
SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
Hey!

I wanted to solicit feedback from you all on the following -

Share your ideas for food items and/or recipes that you can bring to work that are generally calorie/macro friendly (typically higher in protein, lower in cals/etc).

Please include breakfast and lunch suggestions!

Replies

• bimmer2331
    bimmer2331 Posts: 59 Member
    Cottage cheese/ greek yogurt + berries + protein powder
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    bimmer2331 wrote: »
    Cottage cheese/ greek yogurt + berries + protein powder

Staple of mine. Frozen Berries too.

Boiled eggs
    Beef jerky
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    A couple of hard boiled eggs and a big honeycrisp apple.

Greek yogurt and strawberries.

Grilled chicken breast and sliced up bell peppers.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    ScientificExplorerGirl Posts: 535 Member
    Standard Breakfasts:
    Greek yogurt with whey protein and berries
    Cottage cheese with whey protein and apple butter
    2 egg and 1/2 cup egg white omelette (sautee onions, red peppers, kale, spinach or whatever you like)

My standard lunch at work:
    Big salad with meat (chicken, tuna, ham, salmon, beef), eggs and sometimes with 1 oz cheese.
    Joseph's oat and flax pita and some meat for sandwich with side veggies.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    We have a full kitchen, so I can keep a lot here. Breakfast is usually a slice of Ezekiel toast with pb, protein latte (4 oz milk, 15g protein powder) and ice cream (sometimes one serving, sometimes just a spoonful - it cuts my sweet craving out for the day). Other is "baked oatmeal" (40g dry oats, cinnamon, truvia and 92g liquid egg whites, nuked for 2 minutes). 200 cals/29c/3f/15p.

I use Martin's whole wheat slider rolls (100 cals/17c/2f/7p) to cut a few calories and carbs on my veggie burgers (Morningstar Farms Grillers Prime - 170 cals/4c/9f/17p) and tuna sandwiches. I keep the rolls in the freezer so they stay fresh, and defrost in the microwave. Steamed veggies.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Omelet.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    For a protein snack, I love ricotta cheese + instant powdered coffee (any flavor, but I prefer cafe vienna).
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Variations on quinoa and egg "muffins". I have a fridge and microwave at work so not very limited. Generally I bring Greek yogurt with hippie seed additives and berries, a giant salad topped with lean protein, various fruits, carrots with humous and eggs. Sometimes oatmeal. Roasted vegetables pack well and are great to base salads around. I like a English peas for snacking (having to shuck them keeps you busy). Chia seed puddings and overnight oats in mason jars.

I keep protein bars, proportioned bags of nuts, chocolate and gummies in my locker.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    FoxyLifter wrote: »
    For a protein snack, I love ricotta cheese + instant powdered coffee (any flavor, but I prefer cafe vienna).

So you mix instant coffee directly into ricotta? Tell me more!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    My lunch almost everyday is 8-12 ounces chicken breast. Tbsp mayo. Two slices bacon. Sara Lee 45 calorie bread. 40 calorie slice of pepper jack sargento cheese. A peach. Diet mtn. Dew. I'm a breakfast skipper but it used to be full fat plain Greek gods yogurt and a sliced up peach when they are in season.
  • Kazzsjourney2
    Kazzsjourney2 Posts: 22 Member
    Breakfast I take oats and protein powder in a lil container.
    Snacks I take things like yoghurt and a separate container with seeds, nut mix. If I have the carbs a banana and some pb2. Or a quest bar. Apples. Get some fresh berries and dip In natural yoghurt and freeze. Make up a lil trail mix (9 grams goji berries, 8 grams seeds - I use a paleo mix and 8 grams chopped up dark chocolate)
    A lunch dish I take is salmon that I have dried fried with some miso paste and gave it with a soba noodle salad (22 grams dry soba noodles, half teaspoon of dry chilli flakes, chives, soy sauce) it's a good one for taking to work.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    edited July 2015
    Single serve tuna packets in a tortilla with cheese and/or spinach.

Cottage cheese on an English muffin.

Hard boiled eggs. Sometimes yolk is swapped for hummus.

Egg muffins - make ahead and freeze them with whatever ingredients- turkey sausage, cheese, veggies or whatever.

Overnight oats.

Mini turkey meatloaf "muffins" frozen in advance.

Leftovers.

Lots of yogurt.

Turkey burgers made with black bean/egg/oatmeal.

Soups / chili are easy to make in advance and freeze in 2 cup glad ware.

I actually eat a lot of breakfast foods for lunch because I think they're easier to prep in advance. And my lunches sometimes look more like a collection of disparate snacks than coordinated meals.

• aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    edited July 2015
    Stop at grocery on the way to work. Pick up:

1 bag of frozen, steamable broccoli ($2.00)
    1 packet of the 90 second microwavable rice ($2.00)
    2 packets of the Starkist Spicy tuna ($3.00)
    1 bottle of stir fry or sweet and sour sauce ($2.00)

When you get to work, microwave the rice. While the rice is cooling off, microwave the broccoli. When the broccoli is done, pour 1/2 of the rice and half of the broccoli in a bowl, add 2 of the tuna packets and sauce. Stir. As stated here (not including the sauce), it's about 3 g fat, 60 g carbs and 38 g of protein.

Can also add pineapple tidbits to get your fruit for the day!

Total cost for the meal (assuming you use half of the rice and half of the broccoli): about $5! Still have broccoli and rice left over.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    A small lunchbox cooler with a big fat sandwich.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Cold meat or boiled eggs, fruit or berries and a little cheese.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    following.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Lately I do a lot of tuna.

In the past I've done burrito bowls (shredded chicken, black beans, a little cheese, quinoa (or rice), enchilada sauce or salsa), chili, or soup. Soups are particularly good if you're trying to get in a few more servings of veggies. My husband doesn't eat many so making myself chicken/veggie soup to take to work is a good way for me to get in some extra.
  • timg760
    timg760 Posts: 115 Member
    edited July 2015
    awesome thread.

One of my many protein smoothie versions:

protein powder
    cottage cheese
    lowfat milk
    stevia
    greens (spinach, kale, broccoli)
    various frozen fruits for fiber, micros, and extra coldness
    blend smooth
    pour into travel drink vessel - BAM! Portable.
  • timg760
    timg760 Posts: 115 Member
    timg760 wrote: »
    awesome thread.

One of my many protein smoothie versions:

protein powder
    cottage cheese
    lowfat milk
    stevia
    various frozen fruits for fiber, micros, and extra coldness
    blend smooth
    pour into travel drink vessel - BAM! Portable.

other options:
    sweetened OR unsweetened dark chocolate powder
    honey
    molasses
    peanut butter

sub in ice/water for the frozen fruits/milk if you need to. Really, smoothies are super-flexible. And this one is FILLING.
  • landonfloen
    landonfloen Posts: 18 Member
    Great thread idea.

My go-to is greek yogurt+oats+berries+whey+cinnamon.
    You can really adjust the macros however you want. If I need fat I use the 2%yogurt.