Binge junk food cravings!!

kduplessis
kduplessis Posts: 1 Member
I'm trying to lose the last 7lbs of my baby weight. I would say I eat healthy most of the time. Sometimes I get these wicked, crazy junk food cravings and I end up eating too much. Then I feel guilty, angry and frustrated with myself. I hate these feelings!!!
Any tips of how I can control these episodes???

Replies

• gemalexander
    gemalexander Posts: 2 Member
    I started making 'emergency nibble packs'. I cut up fruits and veggies and pack them into little containers. I do the same with nuts and raisons. And then when I just want to munch on something I grab a container and add a little bit of whatever I fancy. Like hummus or yoghurt. It's hard at first because obviously you want sugar, but as long as I'm eating something the cravings stop. And you can eat more because it's good for you! :smile:
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I keep all junk foods and "trigger" foods out of the house completely. For me, it's the only way.
  • mommyvudu
    mommyvudu Posts: 99 Member
    What whmscll said. I cannot keep ANY junk food in the house. NONE. If I start feeling tempted I remove the temptation...like the other day, my four year old begged to make cupcakes. I bought the ingredients, we made them, then besides the 3 we saved just for him and the one for Dad, I wrapped up the rest for my dude to take to work. I left a few notes by the front door to make sure Dad took them with him b/c I can't have a dozen cupcakes in my face when I'm doing well! I don't like feeling tempted. It's already hard enough with my guy keeping my fave whiskey and beer in the house. :(
  • YellowApple666
    YellowApple666 Posts: 35 Member
    I eat my favourite foods in moderation so I don't feel deprived. Whenever I tried to restrict, I always ended up bingeing. Some people prefer to avoid trigger foods completely and I respect that, you need to find what works for you. If I were diagnosed with broccoli intolerance (lol) I would end up bingeing on broccoli.

Over the past two years I became very picky and I only eat or drink the good stuff. Typical "junk foods" taste meaningless to me now. For example, I bake my own cookies or get them from the best bakery in town, so Oreo are not even a temptation anymore, they just taste blah. I'd rather eat a good salad than a bad cheeseburger.
  • MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    I've found that eating whatever I want in moderation helps. Also, I only get the urge to binge when I am being too restrictive with my calories.

Slowing your weight loss goal when you are that close is key and don't deprive yourself. I don't keep the "trigger" foods in my house but it's not hard to control if I stop about once a week at the store and grab a little of what I want.
  • maktuners
    maktuners Posts: 11 Member
    I throw some of those temptations in the freezer like, Hershey bar, squares separated , and take then two squares at a time. They melt slower in my mouth to satisfy my chocolate craving. I"m satisfied and it is very low calories. Try cho cov. nuts or raisins or small squares of brownies. Mostly I can stay away and the more I do the easier it is. This works for me. stay strong!!

Over the weekend I sat around a table with six friends and three large PIZZAS and eat up the wonderful conversation, love and laughter. The only thing that passed my lips were kind words. Good luck.
  • jlowejharrinjann
    jlowejharrinjann Posts: 14 Member
    I got binge cravings when my calories were too low. I find it helps most to eat something healthy and filling if I'm struggling- whatever nutritional need my body is most likely lacking seems best.

I am the opposite of some responses. If I'm feeling like eating a bunch of junk food, I find it most helpful not to take the first bite but just get a healthy food instead -lean protein, veggies, fruit, water.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    kduplessis wrote: »
    I'm trying to lose the last 7lbs of my baby weight. I would say I eat healthy most of the time. Sometimes I get these wicked, crazy junk food cravings and I end up eating too much. Then I feel guilty, angry and frustrated with myself. I hate these feelings!!!
    Any tips of how I can control these episodes???

Drink a protein shake instead when those cravings hit. Most of the shakes on the market are delicious and sweet without the added sugar to your diet. Just make sure you get one with Fructose, Lo Han Gu, or Stevia sweetened
  • MallorieD30
    MallorieD30 Posts: 1 Member
    I started making 'emergency nibble packs'. I cut up fruits and veggies and pack them into little containers. I do the same with nuts and raisons. And then when I just want to munch on something I grab a container and add a little bit of whatever I fancy. Like hummus or yoghurt. It's hard at first because obviously you want sugar, but as long as I'm eating something the cravings stop. And you can eat more because it's good for you! :smile:

This is so true!!! If you're able to stay away short term, it's so much easier to stay away long term! I have found that I don't crave the junk I used too. And now I can have some and not go crazy or continue to crave it because it's so minimal in my diet!
  • Adventurefrog
    Adventurefrog Posts: 4 Member
    I have a hard time in the evenings after dinner. I know I'm not hungry...but I get the munchies. I fill up a big mug with mint herbal tea or chamomile tea to keep my belly full and hands busy....it's also very relaxing.
  • VenusStar101
    VenusStar101 Posts: 17 Member
    My bad girl food is chocolate. And since we went camping a few weekends in a row...smores...my craving is worse. Literally like an addiction. I'm cutting it back again. Do I deprive myself, no. I usually don't buy junk to keep in the house. I'll get me a little something at the gas station if I choose. I just have no will power when it's in my house.
  • VenusStar101
    VenusStar101 Posts: 17 Member
    MrsSchimmy wrote: »
    I've found that eating whatever I want in moderation helps. Also, I only get the urge to binge when I am being too restrictive with my calories.

Slowing your weight loss goal when you are that close is key and don't deprive yourself. I don't keep the "trigger" foods in my house but it's not hard to control if I stop about once a week at the store and grab a little of what I want.

You almost verbatim what I said. Lol :smile:

• Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    frogpacker wrote: »
    I have a hard time in the evenings after dinner. I know I'm not hungry...but I get the munchies. I fill up a big mug with mint herbal tea or chamomile tea to keep my belly full and hands busy....it's also very relaxing.

Yep I do that too!

For cravings I eatsome beef jerky, proteins help me feel full...
  • CrystalConsults
    CrystalConsults Posts: 67 Member
    Recently greatly reduced processed carbs and greatly increased healthy fats. Also make a point of spreading enough (but not too much) protein over three meals. For the first time in my life (and I just turned 54 last week) I do NOT crave crap nor even snacks between meals. I feel set free. Been eating like this since June 29th this year. And, I've dropped from 140.5# to 133 in that time. So far, it's working great! :-)