Black Bean Pasta

Options
JessicaLCHF
JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
ji0wbl5c6dil.jpg
I heard about this stuff on a talk show yesterday. It's made of beans and water, that's it. Looked for it at my store but no luck, yet. A serving has 17g carbs, but 12g of that is fiber. Anyone ever try it? Thots? It's ugly, sure, but I'm always open to options. I can definitely live with five net carbs. But... How's it taste?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I've used the mung bean pasta by the same company. It's delicious! Cooks up well had great texture and flavor and the net carbs work for me.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    If it's just beans and water there has to be a way to make it at home. I hope!
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Bummer. Googling black bean flour shows it has way too many carbs (and net carbs) per cup to be a viable item in my pantry. Looks like it's back to zoodles...
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I'm loving zoodles these days!
  • SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I trust net carbs. I'm counting all the carbs regardless of fiber. But I have a harder time losing so just trying to play it safe. Does anyone have any thoughts on how well the weight loss is with counting net carbs?
  • LittleMamaVas
    LittleMamaVas Posts: 35 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I recently made this exact brand for the first time, and it passed the "did I like it enough to make it again" test. It has a very similar taste and texture to real pasta; though more tougher/harder (I guess if you like your pasta this way it won't bother you, but I like mine soft). I definately preferred it to zucccinni noodles and spaghetti squash, which both had a "crunch" that I just couldn't get past. I found them much more satiating than regular pasta and found that I needed a lot less than I would normally put on my plate for a sphaghetting-and-meatballs-meal for example.

Happy Cooking!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    We got the edamame version. Pretty tasty.
  • randiewilliams72
    randiewilliams72 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    OK, now I gotta go look for this stuff.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I want that now O.O

I have great success with net carbs, and I have a thing for aldenti pasta. Is it cooked up like regular spaghetti?
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I've tried these. Meh......
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Available in Canadian costco bur I haven't tried them.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs for one food for me, I'd rather spread them out through the day
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info on this. I want to give it a try. I figure as a side dish, 1/2 serving isn't too bad carb wise.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    I still haven't been able to find them anywhere local.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I just found out they sell several of the flavors at wegmans, if you're near one. Before that my sister would order a case online and we'd split it.
  • eatsyork
    eatsyork Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of these in the pantry I can't bring myself to eat. I'm almost certain the nutritional info is not correct on the package. If black beans generally have three times as much total carbohydrate as fibre, and black beans are the only ingredient other than water, how does this pasta magically have a much more favorable ratio of fibre to total carbs than its constituent ingredients?
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit suspicious too... but I think they look fantastic, a beautiful black would contrast well with some pasta sauces, like squid ink pasta.

Does anyone have any tips for avoiding watery zoodles? I make zoodles carbonara which should be a perfect keto food in many ways, but always ends up like a watery egg soup and not what I am hoping for!

I will google it, but you guys are so experienced.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    @totaloblivia, at my house, we barely cook our zoodles, just a light saute in butter usually, but I have had them raw too, with a sauce on top. They have much more bite to them that way.

I haven't tried carbonara yet with them, but I might want to try to fry the bacon ( and sometimes a bit of ham too) with a bit of onion until done, then add the raw zoodles, beaten egg and parmesan cheese, and see how that works out. I love carbonara. I put a splash of booze in there too.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    @totaloblivia, at my house, we barely cook our zoodles, just a light saute in butter usually, but I have had them raw too, with a sauce on top. They have much more bite to them that way.

I haven't tried carbonara yet with them, but I might want to try to fry the bacon ( and sometimes a bit of ham too) with a bit of onion until done, then add the raw zoodles, beaten egg and parmesan cheese, and see how that works out. I love carbonara. I put a splash of booze in there too.

Thanks for the tips. I read that the best way is to salt them and squeeze the water out. I will try both ways and hopefully have more success.

• auntstephie321
    Options
    I'm a bit suspicious too... but I think they look fantastic, a beautiful black would contrast well with some pasta sauces, like squid ink pasta.

Does anyone have any tips for avoiding watery zoodles? I make zoodles carbonara which should be a perfect keto food in many ways, but always ends up like a watery egg soup and not what I am hoping for!

I will google it, but you guys are so experienced.

I put mine on a baking sheet lined with paper towels sprinkled with salt, in the oven on 200 for about an hour, it helps to dry them out, I then put them between two sheets of paper towel and let the towels absorb more of the moisture. I just made them last night because I made red sauce, it didn't end up watery at all.