What motivates you to stay on track?

Options

Replies

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris.............I have a dress hanging in a door way just off the kitchen that I bought last Sat to wear to a wedding this Sat................a reminder of how far I've come. You'll get there too!!!!

Stick with the eating properly and add exercise as you can......you'll soon find you're able to do much more than you realized.
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    prplhaz300 wrote: »
    Hi. I am new to group but loved this discussion. I hang clothes I really want to wear and look good in in various areas so I see them at random times. But my biggest inspiration is my 7 year granddaughter and 14 year old son. I have other kids and grandkids but these two live with me and I am tired of not being able to do with them the things I did with my older kids cuz I am just too fat. Exercise is my biggest hurdle because at 302#, I just get so tired and there is so much to do in my life, with little help, so time is difficult. Am sticking with healthy eating, aggressively, so far. Looking forward to reading about others!!

Chris from CT

Good on you for seeing after your grandchildren. My sister and I were raised by our Grandparents. I don't think I ever thanked them for it. So I'll commend and Thank You . Good Job! .
    Stay with it. Eat healthy. If you only have time and energy for a little exercise then do that. Any exercise you can do is better than nothing. Just do what you can and eat right. When you get to feeling a little stronger and better, do a little more. It's slow going but it works.
    Good Luck.
  • Giolis
    Giolis Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I had back surgery a year ago this month. I've always had back issues and probably always will. The Dr said the preventative is keeping my weight down and back strong. Too many people with back issues tend to baby their backs which weakens the muscles and basically makes them more susceptible to injury.

I want to do everything I can to avoid any future issues and the side effects of looking and feeling better are some pretty nice perks!
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I am internally motivated to be the best version of myself.
    Every action either moves me closer to my goals or further away.

I always want to move forward as I strive toward my ideal.
    ds65g9m4k2uc.jpg
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    I don't want the health problems of being obese and old. I want to build and maintain my endurance, strength, and flexibility. I have struggled with weight my entire life. Quitting is just not an option anymore.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Great attitude everyone!
  • camblin
    camblin Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My son has challenged me to climb the Manitou Incline with him this fall. I am excited to go do something I wouldn't have dreamed of doing six months ago. I've noticed that I push myself a lot harder now that I have a short-term goal of keeping up with him than I did when it was just an abstract "getting back in shape" goal.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Terrific challenge!
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    camblin wrote: »
    My son has challenged me to climb the Manitou Incline with him this fall. I am excited to go do something I wouldn't have dreamed of doing six months ago. I've noticed that I push myself a lot harder now that I have a short-term goal of keeping up with him than I did when it was just an abstract "getting back in shape" goal.

Oh my gosh!!! This is something I want to do, too! I'm not sure when I'll get over there, but it looks so challenging! A friend of mine did it with her over 50 workout group. She said it was amazing!
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My daughter is getting married in 2017. She like us to be healthy for her big day. Plus I might get grandchildren someday. :)
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    It's my 25th wedding anniversary next Msrch & my youngest brother is getting married. Plus a few other family events. So I'm aiming to look the best I can be

Bee
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm 50. My dad died at 53. My mom got Parkinsons at 56 and died at 71. Both were overweight, hypertensive & diabetic. Obesity and cigarettes killed my father and while Parkinsons ultimately killed Mom, the weight made her last years even tougher. I have three severely overweight brothers and a dozen or more overweight aunts and uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews. My great-grandmother, however, was of average build and lived to be 98 and was sassy and had it all together to almost the end. I want to be like her.

I've never been that far overweight (maybe 15-20 pounds at any one time except right after having my children) so I salute those of you making the effort to lose much more. I want my quality of life to be great. I also want to be a good role model for my girls and therefore never went crazy with the whole weight loss thing and would have never called my somewhat fluffy figure fat. It's a great burden we place on ourselves to be a role model to others but I think it helps in the end to know that our children are watching or that they want to play with us or just for us to be around and be healthy.
  • camblin
    camblin Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I redid a room in my house for my exercise equipment. I put a giant mirror on one wall that cannot be ignored, and a big decal on the door that says "It's not how bad you want it; it's how hard you are willing to work for it." When I bought the decal, I thought it was a little pretentious, but now, it makes me smile.
  • marekdds
    Options
    lol. excellent idea!
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    The 06:30 daily alarm on my phone is set up with a text message in addition to music. It says, (edited for sensitive readers) "Get the f%&* up you fat *kitten*. You have heart disease."
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    The 06:30 daily alarm on my phone is set up with a text message in addition to music. It says, (edited for sensitive readers) "Get the f%&* up you fat *kitten*. You have heart disease."

I could use this alarm clock... :)
  • marekdds
    Options
    love this!
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »

Farback, you kill me. I need this one too.
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I've struggled a lot over the years with motivation and have allowed real and not so real excuses derail me time and time again. This time I'm NOT going to do that!! I turn 50 next March. My husband is 72 years old. I need to be fit and healthy for myself and for him.

We also just booked a cruise for next February and this will be my first and I'm super excited and very motivated to get off at least 30 lbs. I know this will be very hard work and a lot of telling myself no when holidays roll around, but I'm going to do it!! I even purchased a swimsuit, maxi dress, and some cute tops a size smaller!! I haven't been in a swimsuit in over 20 years and I'm scared to death, but I have to do it. I want to walk hand in hand with my husband along a tropical beach knowing that I succeeded and not failed once again. I WILL do this!! :)
  • marekdds
    Options
    Terrific attitude Teresa! It was so fun to buy a swimsuit.