Ripping off the bandaid

Options

Replies

• kmac1196
    kmac1196 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Uh oh. Scale said 192.4 (that's up 1.2lbs) and 2474 cals yesterday. No lifting since Friday (cardio sat as always. Rest as always Sunday and lifting tues thurs sat this week. ...normal ). ???
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Um...I go up randomly 1-4 lb on a regular basis. Unless you are up for a long period of time, I wouldn't sweat it. Hormones, salt intake, lack of water, etc, can easily put on lbs. Scale going up once is NBD!
  • kmac1196
    Options
    Well not really once. I had a 2.2 weight gain and another 2 the following week and then this. So on July 20th I weighed 187.2 and yesterday 192.4. That's 5.2 lbs in 3 weeks. Not TOM either.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ya, too much change that a reason would be good to figure out.

Obviously not all fat, if any.

In heat more sweating, or sweating more in AC anyway?

Cardio increase?

Change to lifting routine, new rep/set ranges, new muscles?

Meds or diet change?

Neighborhood dog barking at night keeping you up and stressing you out nightly?
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Well if you haven't been eating over 6066 calories over each of those 3 weeks, I would not be too concerned. That would be a heck of a lot of food, even for a foodie like me, and I couldn't do it.
  • kmac1196
    Options
    Nothing new. In week 4 of string curves so same there. Walking the same. It's been far less humid here so sweating much less actually. No unusual stressors that aren't always around. Lol. Nothing I can think of. I've been racking my brain and nothing.

Mondays weigh in will be interesting. If I drop than It was nothing but if I keep it or gain then I'm rethinking TDEE. Right?
  • mymodernbabylon
    Options
    I would honestly give it more time eating at the level you are at - at the most, you would normally see a lb or 2 gain over a full month which is slow. You are gaining fast, which typically means water weight.
  • kmac1196
    Options
    Seems that way, huh. Not sure why since I gained 7 lbs of water weight at the beginning of this (9 weeks ago). The scale did jump down to 190 yesterday. It's still high but eh.... I am continuing to stay at 2500 this week for sure. I think that's my number. We'll see! I just thought it super weird to be bumping up like this. And there has to be a reason why this late in the reset.
  • mymodernbabylon
    Options
    It could do with something other than the reset - a bit more salt, a hormonal thing, etc. Who knows? Our bodies are weird.
  • kmac1196
    Options
    That they are. It was up again yesterday (192.4). But after lifting I'm sure it was repair. Whatever it is after these 12 weeks it is. It will just make it a bit more difficult to try to "guess" my maintanence. I'm not worried though. I do want people who read these threads to know that these things happen. But that you have to be ok with it and keep moving forward.
  • desjham1
    desjham1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely keep updating! It is inspiring me to eat more and stop labeling foods as bad. I'm having pizza for dinner tonight and a panera bakery item from my bday to hit my calories. I never would have done that before! You are doing so great, but have also convinced me to avoid the scale unless I'm at my biweekly nutritionist appointment (which shows a gain but its ok!) ;) keep going! I'm sure you'll see a loss soon :)
  • kmac1196
    Options
    Thank you. I'm not starting my cut until September 7th. So I'm ok with no loss...of course, I'd like to be done gaining, too. LOL Maybe it's all muscle. LOL
  • wannabf1t
    wannabf1t Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the updates kmac1196.Keep them coming, please! I've enjoyed reading them.
    I'm also in this journey of finding maintenance. My weight stayed put until yesterday when it went up about a pound but I ate way above what scooby suggests and it is almost TOM, so I wasn't surprised. My plan is to try to do a recomp then do a small cut next year.
  • kmac1196
    Options
    Week 1 Cals 2027 (up from 3 weeks of 1200) 7 lb gain. No bodymedia worn
    Week 2 cals 2654 stayed the same . No bodymedia worn
    Week 3 cals 2931 Up 1 lb (TOM week) Body media avg cals burned 2667
    Week 4 cals 2809 up 2.2 lbs Body media avg cals burned 2379
    Week 5 cals 2757 -2.8 body media avg cals burned 2395
    Week 6 cals 2973 +2.2 body media burned 2683 (TOM CAME 5 DAYS early)
    Week 7 cals ONly 4 days data 2728 + 2 lbs burned ONLY 4 days data 2748
    Week 8 cals 2508 -.2 bodymedia burned 2574

Week 9 Cals 2610 +2.2 bodymedia burned 2529

Okay...no idea why that big jump...Week 3 was TOM Week 6 was TOM Week 9 should be TOM but I'm a week away. I got my period on 25 days last time (hence why it was week 6 and not week 7). I'm normally 28 days. So 28 days will be Tuesday of next week. Not sure if that's why. Scale said 193.4 and I'm dangerously close to 200 again which I swore I never would be again. Disheartening since I was 174 at the beginning of this year.

I don't know what to do. Just finished up week 10 and I shouldn't be gaining like this.
  • kmac1196
    Options
    Meant finished up week 9.

Could working in a hot,humid non ac'd kitchen 3 hrs a night for 3 nights be the reason? That's new as of last week. So fir sat and sun was my 2nd week
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That's what I wondered about when it first starting going up, if getting hotter and sweating, or maybe not to sweating yet because body is keeping cool with greater blood flow.

That's one reason for inflated HR during a workout - body just pumping more blood for cooling effect, and when using more surface vessels to aid, that requires more blood volume. Most people gain that water weight as the do more in the summer.

Recent ride I lost something like 6 lbs while drinking 9 lbs of water. And that was not 6 lbs of fat or carbs burned up - 1 lb at most, so rest was literally just water weight from sweating, and lots of that from blood volume.
    In fact it's usually found that if you lose 5% of bodyweight by that method for endurance cardio - you start impacting performance badly because now heart is pushing really thick blood, impeding oxygen flow.

So there is a lot of weight in blood volume. May not be sweating to prove it if merely moving it more is keeping you cool enough.

I am still wondering why such big jumps of water weight though, unless your cardio has increased too, or perhaps fewer but longer sessions, or C25K is running more often than walking, or more circuit style lifting instead of normal strength style, ect.

So I agree, not normal to be gaining like that, and while it still can't be fat that fast - unless you somehow think you are eating about 500 cal above true maintenance - still wonder why the body would be doing that?

Any meds with side-effects?
  • kmac1196
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Same workouts. 3 days strong curves (just finished week 4 was doing ICF before 3xs a week so about the same). Cardio is always 3 Xs. Week. 1 hour LISS. I do 4 miles in that hour so nothing crazy. 1 day of rest. Ive done this set up forever. Day job is the same. No meds. I'm thinking backing down to 2300 true cals this week and see what happens. I think I'm clearly overshooting and enjoying my break a little much. lol. Not panicking though.
  • kmac1196
    Options
    2 days at 2300 and dropped 3.2 lbs. What the heck is going on with all this water???
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Well 3.2 lbs of it was tired of visiting you, so it left. >:)

Keep calm, and carry on. Don't forget to laugh, it burns calories.
  • wannabf1t
    wannabf1t Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    How long do you tent to retain water from TOM? It looks like you gained the week of and the next week (3&4), then a big whoosh on Week 5? Same thing on Week 6&7 although the loss was not as much the following week. You also upped the calories that week higher than the prior two weeks. Maybe some of that is water weight from the increased in cals. Does that make sense? I'm no expert as I'm just starting my journey but maybe your sweet spot is somewhere 2450-2550ish. I'm just speculating here, maybe someone with more experience will chime in later.