WLS Taboo on this site

Options
2»

Replies

• joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the positive community of WLS, glad you found us :)
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found you also!!! Everyone on this site as been great.
  • shawnab41
    shawnab41 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had WLS in 2001 and now I'm battling to get the regain back under control.
  • kimgravitt3
    Options
    Shawn I wish you the very best. I know it will always been a struggle for me to stay on track. I know you can do this!
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I stay off the main boards. I belong to this group and another just for VSGers. On Facebook I belong to two more groups: one for VSG and one for General WLS discussions. All 4 groups are great; very supportive. I've also been on the VSG forum at obesityhealth.com since 2009; a few people can get ugly there, but it's easy to block them. Congratulations on taking this step towards a healthier you!!!
  • greenbaymichk
    greenbaymichk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Can I add an "Amen" to everything that has been said! WLS is a tool that most of us have chosen as the last resort after exercise and diet haven't been successful. Even after WLS, it takes a lot of work, discipline and determination to get the weight off. The surgery alone will only take us so far - we have to change our head.
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am new too.... I had the sleeve gastrectomy June 19, 2015. I have had a lot of people tell me I CHEATED in my weight loss goals!!!
    Well, I also had a lot of other health issues. My stomach was a mess, my sleep apnea was out of control, I was borderline diabetic. I was 210 at on my surgery date and I am now 168
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I was watching a documentary, I think it was British, about people who simply do not get fat. The purpose of the documentary was to see if they could make them get fat, the idea that some people are genetically programmed to be naturally fat or thin. I'm probably explaining this badly. Plenty of testing and measuring early on, then the group was released to eat enormous calorie goals and day and were told 'do not exercise.'

So you watch the documentary and these people are pigging out to the point they are nauseated. After a month they are remeasured and they've gained some weight, but nothing like I'd have gained on a similar diet. I think this went on for a few months. But the MOMENT these people were released from all the eating, they started losing again. In a month or two they were back to their normal lean weight without any real effort on their parts.

So we are not all created equal in this regard. Some of us are natural storers. Then maybe life circumstances make it worse and as we age, our metabolisms just head off a cliff. There is no getting around it. For some of us, hunger does not keep us alive, it is killing us. Now why other people even care whether or not I chose this route, so I wouldn't die and I could enjoy the rest of my life...who knows? Would they go ballistic if I were a Type I diabetic and needed insulin to live? How about if I had a tumor that needed to be removed? I don't waste my time for even one minute thinking about those people.

Yeah, I could lock myself in a room with a set number of calories a day and be hungry all the time and eventually, I'll lose weight.Like months and months and maybe years down the road. Meanwhile, I'll be suffering and unhappy and stressed. Guess what, my metabolism is so slow that even with the sleeve my weight loss is MINISCULE, but at least I'm not walking around hungry all the time. My food choices are better because I'm not craving horrible food anymore. The hunger monster is tamed. I've still got plenty to lose. PLENTY. I'm down 75 pounds and I have another 100 or more to go. But I'm way happier, can move around and am no longer ashamed to just be taking up space.

So ignore those people. They have NO IDEA.
  • denicejo
    denicejo Posts: 32 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I think it's a lack of education on wls. I've had someone tell me I took the easy way out. It was an older family member, so I couldn't tell her off. Mind you this person has been overweight her whole life and has voiced that it is too dangerous to have surgery. So she speaks from ignorance and fear, like most. After she made that comment I explained that this is by NO means easy. I have elected to change my eating habits for life. This isn't a diet where I can take the day off and splurg. I can't just decide to not have my sleeve becuase it's the weekend or because I'm on vacation. I told her I have to measure, weigh, and read lables just like anyone one else who does it the old fashioned way. Of course she could tell by my tone that she shouldn't have said that and has been a little kinder since. I've dieted my whole life adn have had great success, but the weight ALWAYS found me. Usually the more I lost the more I'd gain back. We all know this is a tool, some are very good at using the tools some not so much. I've seen people who just thought this was not worth the effort and haven't done so well. I suspect because they went into this with that same mentality, that the weight would fall off and they wouldn't have to work. People are gonna hate not mater what. Just surrond yourself with supportive people and ignore the rest.
  • krissymae88
    krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am still months out from surgery and I know my family is already supportive and I expect my friends to be too. It makes me so mad and sad to hear stories of people who get hate for making this decision. I think most people who get to the point where they decide to have surgery likely have some kind of unhealthy emotional attachment to food or perhaps a food addiction, I know I do. Committing to giving up overeating and bingeing for the rest of my life is definitely not the easy way out. I'm giving up my emotional crutch and the substance that I have relied on my whole life to be by my side in good times and hard times. Its too bad that people who don't understand it or are too afraid to make this kind of commitment for themselves are so quick to judge.
  • Sylvarose
    Sylvarose Posts: 70 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I for one am glad this group exists. I'm still in my consult phase. Just had my psych eval and my first diet nutrition consult. I have five more months of consults to go before they submit my paperwork through to insurance for approval (my insurance asks you do the six months consult before they will approve surgery - lapband in my case). The doctor wanted me tested for sleep apena and results came back today: moderate. So I have to get a CPAP. Anyway..the point is this group has been wonderful for me.
  • krissymae88
    krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Sylvarose wrote: »
    I for one am glad this group exists. I'm still in my consult phase. Just had my psych eval and my first diet nutrition consult. I have five more months of consults to go before they submit my paperwork through to insurance for approval (my insurance asks you do the six months consult before they will approve surgery - lapband in my case). The doctor wanted me tested for sleep apena and results came back today: moderate. So I have to get a CPAP. Anyway..the point is this group has been wonderful for me.

We are in almost the exact same place. I'm five months out too. And I have a sleep study and psych appointment scheduled for next month. Feel free to friend me if you'd like :smile:
  • kimgravitt3
    Options
    The messages that have been posted in the last few days (and before) have been so enlightening. Some of these thoughts from everyone is like looking into a mirror for me. I too have struggled my ENTIRE life with weight issues. I grew up with three brothers that could eat me under the table, but never gained an ounce of weight. Now that they are older, they struggle with weight, but still not anything like me. I have four grandchildren, the three boys are all skinny little kids that eat everything that is not tied down. My sweet granddaughter inherited the "fat gene". She is nine years old and is already having to struggle with weight. I'm not making any excuses for my being overweight though. I understand that along with genetics, my emotional eating and sedentary lifestyle contributed greatly to me being the size I am now. I can look back at my life and I could tell you what my weight was in every grade of school, my 1st wedding, my 1st pregnancy, and literally every year I've been alive. So basically, it's not like I wasn't conscious of what I was doing to myself. I knew, I just didn't want to face it anymore. The last two years have been an emotional rollercoaster for me. I moved in with my parents, who were unwell. I have since lost both my parents and my youngest son has moved out. The emotional toll of burying your parents one year apart cast such a pallor on my life and sunk me into a deep depression. Through prayer and support from my family, I've started living again! I have always been the caregiver in my relationships, with my family and my friends. It's finally time for me to think of myself. Thanks again for all the support and thought provoking words of encouragement. It means so much to me!!!!!