What would you do? (mostly for woman)

Options

Replies

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    As an aside ... I dated a man (man child) 13 years younger than me for over a year. According to science our libidos were well matched (men peaking in their late teens to early 20's and women peaking closer to 40). It was fun. He was fun, it was a bit like having a puppy ... all the enjoyment and none of the hassle. Just sayin :P
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Lol.....I am an open book and happy to hear all opinions as thats all they are...opinions....on any subject but at least I dont cut and run when someone expresses an alternate opinion to mine and comments on it! Thats what bullys do! As I have never watched Oprah I have no idea what she does so....I was just saying that I hope your issues get sorted and you can view mankind through kinder eyes.

Sorry to everyone...seems my concern derailed the help offered to Aunty due to newmeadow taking offence...despite her offensive comments. I sincerely hope you can happily walk wherever you to in safety and peace.
  • pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If someone takes offense to something I might say, I would rather they let me know so I can try and tone down my opinions.

I know not everyone likes being warned that they are offending someone, but they should realize that on a public message board there are many opinions and they are not an island to themself.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day and no one has unwanted stalking admirers. ..lol..If you do just go to church or a karate class. Or a karate class in a church..ha please know I'm joking. Luv to all.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    This is interesting how women read so much in to a casual conversation

Makes me want to not talk to them

The idea I would be considered a perv for striking up a conversation is a bit off putting

It seems better to not even bother

I have an awesome gf so this thread is good reason to not speak to women casually.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Men are from Mars...... comes to mind.

With that being said I do thank God I am not a woman. Life seems to be much harder for a woman in most all aspects. Some guys will read way too much even from a smile of a woman.

I tell my wife and daughter to remove themselves from a location ASAP if they develop a concern for emotional and or physical safety. There are a few weirdo's out there keeping concerns high. Guys and gals in 'mating mode' makes smiles and small talk harder to read I expect. After 35 years of being married and acting so I stay that way yet being a big talker I try to read if a woman does not want to talk. I doubt if I would ever be forward enough to asked if I could walk with a stranger in a park. Being 64 with clear physical limitations I expect makes me seem physically harmless to most. :)

Again I think it is only wise for most women to error on the side of thinking the worse about strange/unknown guys when walking in a park, etc. As a side note there are a few times when I wanted to run from a few women. It is not only men that can be weird.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I pine for the simpler days when we could just hit women over the head with a club and drag them back to our cave.

Now they punch us in the throat and threaten us with church? How did the world get so crazy? I bet carbs were involved somehow. :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

The idea I would be considered a perv for striking up a conversation is a bit off putting

I have an awesome gf so this thread is good reason to not speak to women casually.

For what its worth. this wasn't the same as someone trying to make casual conversation. I'm friendly to everyone I pass in the park, I've had casual conversation with both men and women, young and old, some with dogs some with kids, some by themselves. None of those conversations have ever made me feel uncomfortable. I will never know what his intentions were, this post wasn't really about what was going on in his mind as I'll never know that.

My concern was my feelings on it and it made me feel nervous enough to not want to go there again. Multiple outside points of view have helped me feel more comfortable about it.

I don't think most women read too much into benign conversation, just being friendly in a park or anywhere.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »
    I would not stop walking where you like but if you see him again be sure to let him know that you prefer to walk alone if he approaches you again. Don't make eye contact with him if you can avoid it. Carry a cell phone with you.

I do not think you are being overly paranoid.

This. If it happens again after you make it plain twice, then that is creepy.

A self defense expert recommended a can of bee spray as an alternative to pepper spray.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    And for the record, I think the question about church was meant as a distraction technique. If he just had poor social skills, etc. or honestly was just oblivious to the reaction he was getting, the question could make him stop, shift his thinking, and maybe realize how differently he was coming across than he intended. Either that, or turn him off if "church stuff" is not the gear his brain was in... I don't think it was intended as aggressive or anything, but more a distraction/change conversation tactic used to get people thinking, give context, reevaluate their approach, or get to a safe topic...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    And for the record, I think the question about church was meant as a distraction technique. If he just had poor social skills, etc. or honestly was just oblivious to the reaction he was getting, the question could make him stop, shift his thinking, and maybe realize how differently he was coming across than he intended. Either that, or turn him off if "church stuff" is not the gear his brain was in... I don't think it was intended as aggressive or anything, but more a distraction/change conversation tactic used to get people thinking, give context, reevaluate their approach, or get to a safe topic...

@KnitOrMiss your take is on my suggestion is 100% correct.

Guys typically are dense so a sledgehammer approach often works best when time is short. If asking about church offends then you know a bit more about his mindset. If his thoughts are off color but he knows right from wrong he should see the need to hit the reset button.

On the subject of pepper spray I would say if you think you should use it you should have already hit 911 and be running in the opposite direction. The greater force tends to win.

Generally speaking ALL women should act on their instinct when it comes to interacting with men if there is even one red flag. If interested in getting to know more about any man will expose you to some risk. Driving to McDonalds, etc in separate cars and having coffee, etc would be safer than talking with a stranger in some parks.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Lol! I can see how that might make you question what kind of impression you might make. But, in this case she got a weird feeling about him. Must have been something in body language, behavior that made him seem creepy.
    We always want to assume everyone is a good person and means no harm but unfortunately that's not the way it always ends up. I believe in instinct. If something seems off, I trust it.
    The lesson is, don't be a creepy weirdo and you won't get throat punched! Lol
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

There's some irony in your name being "KittensMaster" yet you're taken aback by the idea of being considered a perv.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

Omg I love that!
  • wabmester
    Options
    The guy was hitting on you. You rejected the hit. Awkward? Yes. Dangerous? Who knows, but if he is, taking walks in a public space is probably not a risky behavior.

Did you discuss this with your SO? Maybe he'd like to meet the guy. :)
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Jesus, if a man came up and spoke to me I'd be quite flattered! There is a local man who mows lawns for a retirement village, he's walked a little way up the road with me a few times and we have chatted. He's a little awkward but he's lovely and it's so nice to have a real conversation.

Sometimes people with aspergers can also try to strike up a conversation, it can come across as inappropriate or a bit odd because they lack the social skills or interpretation of your body langauge. My son is almost 5 and has aspergers so I can just picture him as an adult doing something like try to talk to a stranger in a park. Hell, he tries to talk to adults now and gets ignored already. Adults are rude people.

I really feel for men automatically being thought of as creepy or perverted, for the high crime of striking up a conversation or walking next to someone. My OH says women will cross the street to avoid him in broad daylight and it's really offensive and hurtful. My mother in law even got horrified at me once letting my son have a conversation with the man who runs the corner shop because "all men are pedophiles deep down", wtf?

If your instincts tell you something is off with someone then by all means avoid the hell out of them or that area. I just hate the automatic assumption that men are bad/creepy etc.
  • m_puppy
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »

I really feel for men automatically being thought of as creepy or perverted, for the high crime of striking up a conversation or walking next to someone. My OH says women will cross the street to avoid him in broad daylight and it's really offensive and hurtful. My mother in law even got horrified at me once letting my son have a conversation with the man who runs the corner shop because "all men are pedophiles deep down", wtf?

If your instincts tell you something is off with someone then by all means avoid the hell out of them or that area. I just hate the automatic assumption that men are bad/creepy etc.

That sounds like something my ignorant mother would say. When my daughter was little she was uncomfortable with one of my male friends because he was "ugly" and that probably made him desperate enough to touch a 2 year old. Ooh or the time she said I shouldn't let my gay male friend come over because he would probably molest my 2 year old daughter since he is gay. Pure idiot.

I have a tendency to not see men talking to me as a come on. When I was in my 20s I had quite the opposite experience. It started to feel like any man I spoke to thought I was hitting on him. The heavier I got the less of a problem this seemed to be.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Delicate subject when it comes to defenseless kids.

If these stats are true, 1 in 5 of you were abused as a kid:
    http://www.victimsofcrime.org/media/reporting-on-child-sexual-abuse/child-sexual-abuse-statistics

• KittensMaster
    Options

Lol! I can see how that might make you question what kind of impression you might make. But, in this case she got a weird feeling about him. Must have been something in body language, behavior that made him seem creepy.
    We always want to assume everyone is a good person and means no harm but unfortunately that's not the way it always ends up. I believe in instinct. If something seems off, I trust it.

I wonder how that logic would be received if applied to women.

If a woman is creepy it is ok to punch her in the throat!

• KittensMaster
    Options
    m_puppy wrote: »

There's some irony in your name being "KittensMaster" yet you're taken aback by the idea of being considered a perv.

How?

I enjoy a monogamous relationship and now I'm a perv?

Have you become some sort of morality police?

Please explain.
  • m_puppy
    edited August 2015
    Options
    No I have not but after writing that I happened to come across my previous post in this same thread. You may want to read it. I don't think your username implies a love for monogamy, but clearly I misread it. Though if my username were "CocksTamer" I wouldn't at all be shocked if someone assumed I liked to tame many *kitten*. Which is just odd because obviously it would mean I enjoy raising domesticated chickens. For what it's worth, I don't assume you're a pervert. I assume you've raised many baby cats. I also (mistakenly) assumed you had a sense of humor. No, for real, domesticating chickens is what I do.