6 months since surgery - 102 lbs down

Options
blairmundy
blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
fc9tdxond1gf.jpg

6 month surgiversary! I suck at photos and have a talent for not being in them so it was hard to find an accurate before. I've got 8 more pounds till onderland! Viva la VSG!

Replies

• joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    LOOK AT YOU!!!! Fabulous and beautiful! Congrats!!!!
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Wow, you've done very well! Awesome!!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Keep up the good work!
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Such a difference! Way to go!
  • gaining_while_losing
    Options
    Great job!!!!!!
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful! Congratulations on your weight loss!
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Wonderwomanvik Posts: 2,932 Member
    Options
    blairmundy wrote: »
    fc9tdxond1gf.jpg

6 month surgiversary! I suck at photos and have a talent for not being in them so it was hard to find an accurate before. I've got 8 more pounds till onderland! Viva la VSG!

I am amazed. You look wonderful. I'd love to know the secret to your success.
  • 911Chrisy
    911Chrisy Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm just 4 weeks post op and I'm wondering about exercise routines. Do you have any advice? I've been looking on pinterest bit not finding anything that I can do at my size besides walk and swim.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    That is AMAZING! My six months was on Monday, but I was pretty much actively avoiding pictures before surgery so I don't think I have anything to post.

You look absolutely fabulous. Congratulations.
  • Bugged53
    Bugged53 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You must be very proud of yourself
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Don't knock the walking and swimming - those are my go-tos. I started out really just walking and not until week 4 or 5. I'd do 30 mins. I'd keep trying to increase the distance I could go in 30 mins. I'd walk 15 mins in one direction and then turn around and my halfway point would get further away each time. Then I decided I wanted to do a triathlon so I signed up. I could not run at that point - I only just now started running actually. But I trained in the pool and read books about swimming. I huffed and puffed through some bike rides. I kept walking. The day came and I did all 3 at once (300meter swim, 12mi bike, 2 mile walk). I finished almost last, but I finished standing. Ok, then I flopped to the ground and cried, but it was mostly a happy cry. Then I started playing indoor soccer with a team - so thats a workout I can't get out of once a week and it is something I absolutely love. I just keep doing things I like (I avoid the bike like the plague!) and it has worked. But the swimming... THE SWIMMING! It has turned out to be the best thing. It's cardo, it's stress release, is recovery... it is so much at once. Sunday used to be my day to sleep in and my husband would take the kids. Now I wake up at 630 and go to the local springs and swim anywhere from 1/2 mile to a mile in the cold, cold water because I really love it. I had no idea how much of a workout it was and how little stress it puts on your joints while still putting strength in your muscles. Swimming is the bomb.

Sometimes I'm at the pool with the kiddo and I can't do laps. I do a variation on the ministry of silly walks up and down the pool. Also great.

Now that I've started running, I've decided jogging and distance running are for the birds. I do 'sprints'. 20 or 40 yards at once as fast as I can go (which is pretty darn slow) and then walk back to the start. I do it on soft grass and run on my toes and it feels ok on my knee. And I have a countdown and only have to muster short spurts of energy.

But I would say 75% of my workouts thusfar have just been me putting on walking shoes and willing myself to move at a slightly uncomfortable speed for 30 mins 4 times a week. I really didn't step it up until the 4th month when summer hit and I had more time. I walked my son to and/or from camp (1.5 miles) almost every day and it was habit forming.

I'd imagine there are some dance-type things that are low-impact. I hear a lot about this Cize program. Some richard simmons sweatin to the oldies? I prefer a peaceful walk but video routines are a must-do for a lot of people I know.
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    amazing job, keep up the good work
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! You look amazing!
  • overit75
    overit75 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look awesome!
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • creepykbear
    creepykbear Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting that. It's so inspiring!
  • Trayjay33
    Trayjay33 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    In just 6 months! You look fabulous, congratulations!
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    We had surgery around the same time, and it's really great to see you looking so good. :)
  • denicejo
    denicejo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Way to go! You look awesome!