Carry on or do a reset, feedback please.

Options

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    New development, talked with the lady who is going to be training me with the machines, she thinks I should do free weights as well, she is certified to do those also, so I think I will just buy a training package and work with her on both. I'm thinking I might even go a head and up the cals to 2250. I did drop a lb. after my last posting. I am back in the range again. The 12s are lose fitting and I can get into but wouldn't wear out some of my size 10 pants now. So maybe my metabolism still needs some upping?

I really want to get this right. Torn between upping and getting back to losing.

Hoping the weight training will help me decide what I really need to do now.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    I have decided to start eating at a deficit again. That lb. came back again, so I am going with 2250 as my TDEE and cutting back to 1900 cals, about 15% but not exactly, I rounded it up. I am meeting with a dietician on Friday, to get some more info on non animal sources of protein that I can work into my eating plan. I am not hitting 30% very often currently, maybe some of the carbs I have to eat will help with the protein grams. I told her I am concerned about retaining muscle while still dropping @20 lbs. I got a free session with a dietician as part of the personal training program I bought, so figured let her do some research for me :).

I am starting to think of this as a diet break and not a full reset. Once I get to goal weight, I will do a full reset, no matter how long it takes.

Two months has me in decent shape, will have to see how my deficit eating/losses go. I am feeling stronger, my endurance is better, and I can confidently eat a lot more food everyday, so it is a big win in my book.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just had a Bird's Eye steamed vegetable bag full of beans and good 14 g protein per serving, think 2 servings in a bag, 600 cal, ate it all. 17 fiber too, that stood out as enormous.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Ok with the green beans, I can even do some lentils, but pinto types, kidneys, & white beans, I really would like to not have to include too much of in my meals. While I really need good fiber, I have to be careful, takes my body a while to break fiber from legumes down.

I do have sarauk2sfs protein list already, just hoping to gather a tad bit more non meat based items to that one. More plant based means more fiber too.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Ate at a deficit (1900) this past week (started last Sunday), up a lb. but I upped my weights on machines, with free weights and moved up to the more advanced body bar. I am also taking a real rest day, not even concerned about the 10K on that rest day, I make up the step deficit on workout days. I have had slight soreness, nothing to be concerned about and nothing to stop me from working out with the weights 3x week. I am sticking with full body work outs so I can just do the 3 workouts. Still did a cardio class as well as the body flex.

Some days I wonder why I started this, but I know I have to trust that this is so much better for my body. So I am now off to gather the data from last weeks efforts, I do want to adjust my TDEE no. based on the past week's performance. I did notice I got a tad sloppy on logging, and had to rein myself back in, I had to add a snack from a previous day to another day, that kinda thing. That must stop. I did however enjoy guilt free one Moscow Mule this weekend :)
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Ran my numbers for the first 9 days of this month. Looks like I need to drop my cals. as my TDEE has dropped, mostly due to less cardio activity. I'll be eating at 1800 this week, since my ave. TDEE was just over 2048 cals.

I'll be looking into finding an additional cardio class that will work for me, I really don't want to lower my TDEE any lower than it currently is, so need to bump it back up to the 2300 level if I can. I decided to adjust weekly because of the flux that occurs in daily living.
  • heybales
    Options
    Nice ideas - and really great idea deciding what eating level is realistic, and therefore what activity level must be to allow that adherence.

Now - Moscow Mule?
  • retirehappy
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Nice ideas - and really great idea deciding what eating level is realistic, and therefore what activity level must be to allow that adherence.

Now - Moscow Mule?

Only cocktail I enjoy, I am a wine gal mostly. Moscow Mule is ginger beer, lime juice, and vodka. A delightful hot summer's day drink. Actually the ginger beer and lime juice will serve just as well. I just decided last weekend to have a Mule since I hadn't had one since last summer.

Tracking weekly just seems like the right thing to do. I realize my TDEE was very surpressed. That is why I am using fitbit data to determine the weekly burn and scaling back or upping based on that. I am ok losing .5 per week, but so far I am not losing, just maintaining doing this. Honestly if my strength wasn't going up so well, I'd probably cave and go low again. But I like the strength training improvements too much right now. Manda, Connie. and kmac are also inspiring me to stick with it. Thanks for all your input heybales, I have learned so much from your posts as well. Xavier has been very supportive as well. Without all of you, I would have failed already. Big thanks to everyone in this group.
  • heybales
    Options
    At some point while clearly starting from the high side - you'll have to chalk up the lack of loss to inaccuracies.
    And then just find 250 real calories you can stop eating daily.
    Than way no matter where the inaccuracies are, you'll have deficit and lose.

And if still under 9-12 months of lifting - you'll keep making progress even in deficit - so good to go there.

Only question is how confident that you are truly on the high side?
  • retirehappy
    Options
    So I should maybe try a 500 cal. deficit in case of inaccuracies? I am currently around 250 deficit and maintaining.

Ok I can try that and see what happens. I am eating so much more now than before, another 250 is totally do able. It will still be more than I have been eating over the last year or so on a daily basis.

I got nothing to lose but some weight anyway :p
  • retirehappy
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Quick update: two weeks into deficit, TDEE-@15%, I'm adjusting that weekly based on Fitbit's burn figures, and I am down one pound from when I started the deficit eating again. First week was 1900 cals, this past week was 1750. If this keeps up I will be a happy camper.

Of course that loss came couple of days after my posting about maintaining, LOL.
  • kmac1196
    kmac1196 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    How much do you still want to lose? Don't forget to put in regular breaks (eating at maintenance) to keep things moving.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Less than 20 lbs., goal is 18 more, if I do a couple of extras, I'd be really happy. That is already modified from when I started out. I kept reading about how it is better to reset your goal for maintenance a few pounds lighter than you think you want, so the glycogen/water issues don't freak you out. From what I have learned the last couple of months, that is GREAT advice, so I took it. o:)

With traveling and holidays around the corner, I think I will get a few blocks of maintenance eating in no problem. :)
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Just know that it took me about 9 months to fully lose 20 lb as it should slow down the closer you get to a healthy weight - the first 10 went reasonably quickly, next 5 slower and last 5 very slowly. But it's worth it. I changed my deficit from 15% to 10% when I had the last 5 lb to go so I'd be closer to my maintenance and I think it was worthwhile.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Just know that it took me about 9 months to fully lose 20 lb as it should slow down the closer you get to a healthy weight - the first 10 went reasonably quickly, next 5 slower and last 5 very slowly. But it's worth it. I changed my deficit from 15% to 10% when I had the last 5 lb to go so I'd be closer to my maintenance and I think it was worthwhile.

That has always been the case for me. I have had to lose 30-40 lbs before, but always found them again. I think doing it this way, I will not find them after I lose them :p I didn't put them on quickly, so taking them off is probably going to be a long road, I am just trying to enjoy the ride this time. I am actually out of my lose it quick mindset now.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Well, I went back and reread some of the feedback I have gotten. I decided this week to set my MFP calories to my TDEE-15%, (based on the fitbit reports for previous couple of weeks), disconnect my Fitbit account from MFP and not eat back any exercise calories.

Will see how this goes. My TDEE has been bobbing around due to some classes getting cancelled, one day I was unable to reach my 10K goal, even though I did make it up the next day, etc. Life happens :).

So for my sanity's sake I have decided to just go forwards with the account disconnected. I am still staying within a 3 lbs. range, not going over and not going under it either. I did notice that one one side of the room I weigh one weight and on the other side, I am down 1lb. from that weight. So I am putting the scale on one spot and not moving it in any direction. I had been moving it around based on what was going on in the room :).
  • heybales
    Options
    Wow, local gravity phenomenon! That's cool.

You should put watches that are synchronized in each spot and see if the time starts going off.

;-)
  • retirehappy
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I am just maintaining. I have tried with my accounts connected.
    Then last two weeks with them disconnected, so I don't eat back any exercise calories, ever. I am just bouncing within 158-160, no real movement up or down.

This last week, not a usual one at all as we ended up in ER with my husband and then at the hospital over night, with limited food and exercise options, luckily he is ok and I am back on track today. Here are my numbers for couple of weeks (set to lose 1lb, since the .5 setting had not been working either):
    As per Fitbit calories burned 8/31-9/6 Avg. 2019.714
    As per MFP calories in for same dates Avg. 1513

Previous week pretty average week for me:
    calories burned Avg. 2163.429
    calories intake Avg. 1551.714

This puts me pretty much in the same range of calories as before the reset started 1450-1550. I just don't have many days when I dip below the 1450 anymore.

Did I stop adding calories too soon? Or did I start cutting too soon? I normally have my diary shared with friends but have set it to public if anyone wants to give me feedback on that side of things.

I am just tried of no progress what so ever, I am starting to feel like I blew my summer with nothing to show for it but improved numbers on machine weights and dumbells. My weekly burns are even down :(, the reward for being in better shape over all I guess.

I am over the "honeymoon phase" of the reset process, LOL.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't know much about it, but don't they say only a 15% cut & it looks to me like you are doing 25-30%? I have been following you, because we are about same age, weight, etc & want you to have success, because it makes it seem possible for me too. I don't want to do the 1200 calories route that I was advised to do.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    I had been doing 1750, which is right at 15%. But it was suggested logging might be incorrect and should drop another 250 cals. So that is what I have done for the last couple of weeks.

I also don't want to go the 1200-1300 calorie route again either. I was hoping that the 1750 would be the magic number, but nothing seems to be helping so far. Can't seem to drop any weight at all now. The increase in strength seems to have leveled off at this lower level of cals as well, I'm no longer progressing like when I was 2000 cals. Thus the frustration.