Ranting about naysayers

Options

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    It *is* a multi-purpose phrase. I just find it most useful when I'm trying to find a polite way to say "you're an idiot". I can be empathetic with lots of words! lol
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    When I say it, and I'm a southerner for decades....

It always means I think you are dumb as a rock

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    In my experience (primarily with Okies and Missourians), "bless your heart" is usually an expression of empathy whereas "bless her/his heart" (talking to you about someone else) usually means "what an idiot that person is."

Or maybe I'm just hoping people aren't calling me an idiot to my face. Haha...

Have to wonder how much of a variance in usage there is amongst the different southern states!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Yikes, it's so much simpler to be Canadian! I think around here, I usually hear people say "God bless you".
  • KittensMaster
    Options
    A friend of mine from the UK said

Bless his cotton socks!

I about fell out

And promptly said an old southern expression

Well shut the front door....

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    2Poufs wrote: »
    I've also discovered a "bless your heart" works wonders here in the South, because pretty much everyone know that means "you're stupid" or "f off" or some of both.

LOL Really? :D I'm up in Canada, and a "bless your heart" means thanks for the effort or help, even if it didn't help.

I have mastered Advanced Sarcasm, so between tone, body language, and facial expression, there's really no question as to my meaning. When I visit Canada, I will remember that phrase doesn't mean what I think it means, at least up there!

Lol even here in Australia "bless your heart" means something like "oh you poor idiot, good on you for trying" :P
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    :) Aussies also say "Bless his/her little cotton socks!" It's said nicely.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    The "blue zones" guy was on NPR yesterday pimping his new book, and he talked about the moai of Okinawa. A life-long social network that had a bigger influence on health and longevity than any aspect of diet:
    http://nooga.com/155096/build-a-moai-for-better-relationships-longer-life/

The main factor is that somebody always has your back and checks up on you if you don't show up at the usual hangout, but it's also about the idea of contagious behavior -- the biggest influence on your behaviors, good or bad, are the people you hang out with.

That's why I like to hang out here. :)

Agreed! Much as I love learning how to insult Australians, I love coming here to cheer each other on even more!!
  • ki4eld
    Options
    A friend of mine from the UK said

Bless his cotton socks!

I about fell out

And promptly said an old southern expression

Well shut the front door....

"STFD" is the best. It's the only thing I can say when I'm working around other people that won't get me into trouble. My phrase of choice ends with a U. "Bless your bonnet" was my grandmother's fave. That meant you're being dumb and you've got about 4.5 seconds to get yourself together or there's gonna be a Come to Jesus meeting between your butt and a switch.
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    lol...nvmomketo will back me up on this, but if a Canadian apologizes to you, it might NOT be an apology :smiley:

"bless your heart" sounds similar...it all depends on intent...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    vixelva100 wrote: »
    I read a book about sugar addiction and curing yourself if it. I thought it was quite extream to start with before gradually realising it was me. I knew I had a problem with sugar but I thought I would be ok as long as I was aware. I'm not. The book deals with addiction very much like aa with 10 steps, the first is truly accepting you have a problem. If these relatives were addicted to alcohol and you told them they needed to go to aa and they said there was no problem you would accept they were in denial. That is their problem. They have not reached that critical point. If you continue to show a good example may be they will get there.

@vixelva100 that was me last year at age 63. Actually a guy that works with AA reviewed the materials in over a period of about six weeks at church to help us understand the program. The 'Denial' part hit me like a ton of bricks since I was trying to 'wean' off carbs and could not. After I accepted that fact I went off carbs cold turkey nearly a year ago. The first two weeks were hellish but I have been free of carb craving for 10 months.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    lol...nvmomketo will back me up on this, but if a Canadian apologizes to you, it might NOT be an apology :smiley:

"bless your heart" sounds similar...it all depends on intent...

LOL

Speaking of Australia, my brother was razzed when travelling down there for wearing a "Roots" hat... Popular brand up here that even designed our Olympians' clothes. :D
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    In my experience (primarily with Okies and Missourians), "bless your heart" is usually an expression of empathy whereas "bless her/his heart" (talking to you about someone else) usually means "what an idiot that person is."

Have to wonder how much of a variance in usage there is amongst the different southern states!

Perhaps it's an Eastern Seaboard/Appalachia thing where the sarcastic tone prevails? Or maybe yet another Mississippi divide kind of thing? I know in the Southern areas I've been in and heard it (WV, SC, GA, etc), it's generally the veiled "wow, you're a bright one, aren't you?" version.

Of course, I'm the weirdo that can tell what state (not just that they're from the South) a person's from by their accent, because I pay that much attention to that kind of thing...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Perhaps it's an Eastern Seaboard/Appalachia thing where the sarcastic tone prevails? Or maybe yet another Mississippi divide kind of thing? I know in the Southern areas I've been in and heard it (WV, SC, GA, etc), it's generally the veiled "wow, you're a bright one, aren't you?" version.

Of course, I'm the weirdo that can tell what state (not just that they're from the South) a person's from by their accent, because I pay that much attention to that kind of thing...

@Dragonwolf I would love to test that state theory at some point. I've been told I have almost no accent, and definitely no southern accent, yet I've been raised primarily in Southern States...
  • KittensMaster
    Options
    I have a southern accent and sweet talk the ladies on the phone whenever possible! It is great when dealing with some from Wisconsin or somewhere like that. Just be sweet and nice, and things go much smoother.

Nice is usually the best way.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I have a southern accent and sweet talk the ladies on the phone whenever possible! It is great when dealing with some from Wisconsin or somewhere like that. Just be sweet and nice, and things go much smoother.

Bwahaha. One of mom's arguments against me going to UW was "You know they'll make fun of your accent." "Mom, some guys like a southern accent." "Yeah, but yours isn't a southern Belle accent. It's a Texas trash accent."

Can you tell Mom's a Yankee at heart?
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »

Bwahaha. One of mom's arguments against me going to UW was "You know they'll make fun of your accent." "Mom, some guys like a southern accent." "Yeah, but yours isn't a southern Belle accent. It's a Texas trash accent."

Most Northerners can't tell the difference, so you're good!

• KittensMaster
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »

Texas accent sounds a bit like Notth Carolina to me. One of our plant locations is in Tx. I talked with a materials coordinator there often, she was a sweet talker too

Ha!
  • ki4eld
    Options
    In diction lessons as a kid, I learned to get rid of all trace of accent. I can turn it on, if necessary. Hubby says the level of Southern in an "I'm fine" is a sure sign as to how sick I am. When I'm sick, I forget to turn it off.

I'm positive my "bless your heart" sounds decidedly Southern. And sarcastic.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    We have been taught there is a pill for every health issue that we may develop. The masses buy it.

And that's exactly the way the medical profession, the pharmaceutical profession, and the health insurance industry at large want us to believe! Is it any wonder that the majority of people out there have never heard of the ketogenic diet and are taught to fear fat? They certainly don't want us eating better and eating such a way which truly nurishes our bodies improving our healtj. No, they would rather keep their hands in our pockets, keep us as sick and unhealthy as possible so we die right on time, according to their schedule! I have become very disgusted and disenchanted with these big players!