KISS: Keep It Simple September

Options

Replies

• KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Wabmester…... there is a lovely story of a man in the middles ages with a too small house, many children, an unhappy wife so he goes to the wise man for advice…..who says "bring the chickens inside… then bring in the cow, and both goats…so the man goes home and does this.

after a few weeks the man is back at the wiseman's complaining that his life is too crazy with all these animals inside, and kids, and now the wife is really unhappy..so the wise man tells him to put all the animals back outside..and everyone in the family is so happy with all the wonderful new space inside their house.
    +++++++

the "Voluntary Simplicity" movement has been around for 20+ years now.. it works. An often used phase was
    "Real success is not "having" money.. real success is not "needing" it.

When I moved from a house to a smaller apt. I made the rule that nothing NEW could come in..a chair, a sweater, etc… unless a similar thing went OUT… it works..you begin to measure what you like, use or will enjoy more.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Water, water, water. I've let my diet coke habit creep up again (3-4/day), so will still have 1 in evening but aiming for at least 2 qts water every day.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My KISS will be: To kick at least one habit and grow a wanted habit.

I eat too much pork rinds, because they're tasty and convenient for fat quota. 1 bag is 45g at 280 kcal. But I usually have 2 bags and some days up to 4 bags :o

It's too expensive. I'll only allow 1 bag/day. Better have some avocado or CO instead. I'll also look into if possible to make my own.

I also drank a lot of diet soda this summer. Funny, I never liked that stuff before. But they're making me subjectively «hungrier». I can often pile on more eating and snacking after. But if I stick to regular savory meals, less peckish. Diet soda isn't really giving me anything I want, so it has to go.

I'll try continue to grow the habit of doing strength training from the August challenge. I'd like the habit to stick.

@wabmester. I'm also in the process of decluttering my home. Sigh, the squirrel hoarder in me is strong.

There's a lot of new stuff happening in my life this month, I'm gonna start in group therapy and take a course to become a «training companion» . The city pays to give a few who needs a way to start training. It's mostly a motivator job, I think. But it's also a chance to do a very meaningful job, helping people who are in a rut. So I won't be too hard on myself if all my goals for this challenge isn't met.

No matter good intentions, being overwhelmed doesn't do any good. Slow and unsteady is better than nothing at all!
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I have thought about this

I'm going to stop analyzing things that work for. Me so much and just do them

As a science type degree person I do that

I really don't care why low carb high protein works so well for me. It just does

I took a few progress pics of my legs and you know what? It works. I'm getting results

So if it works, I'm just gonna ride it and enjoy.

This fitness stuff is hard enough without making it more complex than it needs to be

And whoever mentioned chia seed pudding, thank you!

That stuff is great and my body seems to like it. Keeps me full for hours!
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm just back from holiday with an extra kilo of carb-weight in tow from letting my diet slip quite a few times over the week.

My goal for September is back to basics:
    - Get back to proper keto eating again including using my keto-strips once a week
    - Do some form of exercise EVERY DAY in September. Keeping it simple so it doesn't matter what the exercise is as long as it raises my heart rate for at least 30 mins per day
  • pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My KISS
    Put the scales away for the month
    Add a stretch/yoga routine three days a week
    Eat simpiler..things like steak, broccoli and butter and things that don't take a lot of prep
    Prep snacks on weeked for entire week like boiled eggs, celery sticks, carrot sticks, dip.

Goal- to end the month feeling rejuvenated and hopefully weigh end of month with a loss.

• fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Happy September!!!! I will TRY to drink more water-weigh only once a week-get more exercise-do something around the house(weeding, decluttering, etc. Stuff I don't normally do)at least weekly. Hopefully more often. I really don't like to set goals. Fear of not making them. Good luck to everyone!!! It will be fun to see how we all do!!
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    My KISS simple, walk a little more. I'm going to try for the 5k a day again. An extra field at the park or just a few more minutes on the treadmill at the gym should do it for me.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    My KISS:

Get back to basics: meat, eggs, veg, minimal dairy. Cut the bread and other sugary stuff back out.

Stick to my calories.

Get at least 5k steps per day, preferably 7.5k.

Drink at least 12 cups water daily.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    My goal: To engage in social-based physical activity at least once a week. Go walking with someone (other than the dog), go to a yoga class (instead of a private instructor)... some type of exercise in a group setting.

Background: I have Asperger's and I'm an introvert. It took me a year of reading the message boards just to post. I exercise alone, I work alone, hell, I practically live alone because hubby is an introvert too. Social stuff, plainly, scares the everlovin shyte outta me. Chichat is impossible.

So, the "simple" part of this is to let go of the anxiety once a week and do the exercises I love with others who love them too. I don't know if I can sustain it, but I can try.
  • fangirlish
    fangirlish Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm in for KISS:

1. Maintain my two day a week intermittent fasting program. I love the simplicity of just not-eating.
    2. On my eating days, keep the menu basic and try to avoid cooking a lot of complicated recipes.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I will simplify my life by:

1) Avoiding the scale. I weighed in today (155.8) and will not weigh again until September 30th. I'm normally a daily weigher...
    2) Not counting calories/macros. I will stick to only foods that I know meet my macro goals. Hello eggs, bacon, butter, steak, etc.
    3) De-stress by doing activities I enjoy at least 3x per week--this does not include exercise. Think crochet, horseback riding, etc.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    Options
    Look at all these challengers! :smiley:

Today is weigh day. 159.0lb on the nose. Not touching the scale for a week. Which won't be too difficult this first week as I'm going camping tonight through Sunday. But I'm not even looking at the damn thing when I get home until Tuesday. I don't expect any loss. I'll be eating maintenance since there's no wi-fi.

I also won't be drinking that nasty vodka (I'm a whiskey/scotch girl anyway). Not one drop this weekend. No matter how aggravating the Carb-a-Lots (the in-laws) or my offspring are. Or my husband. Or how sweaty-armpit-nasty it will be. Because it will be in the 90s with little shade. I hate that campground. But since FIL decided to drag his feet booking, it's all we could get. Blurgh!

But I digress...as usual.

Have a fabulous first challenge day!
  • keelybird57
    keelybird57 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Last week was tough for me. It was suggested that I'm trying to do too much too fast. So KISS is perfect!
    My goal: I will Simply engage in a physical activity for a minimum of 15 minutes each day.

It's a place to begin.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Look at all these challengers! :smiley:

Today is weigh day. 159.0lb on the nose. Not touching the scale for a week. Which won't be too difficult this first week as I'm going camping tonight through Sunday. But I'm not even looking at the damn thing when I get home until Tuesday. I don't expect any loss. I'll be eating maintenance since there's no wi-fi.

I also won't be drinking that nasty vodka (I'm a whiskey/scotch girl anyway). Not one drop this weekend. No matter how aggravating the Carb-a-Lots (the in-laws) or my offspring are. Or my husband. Or how sweaty-armpit-nasty it will be. Because it will be in the 90s with little shade. I hate that campground. But since FIL decided to drag his feet booking, it's all we could get. Blurgh!

But I digress...as usual.

Have a fabulous first challenge day!

Pack N Prep honey. (Not that you don't already know and have this in motion, just sayin'.) Set yourself up for success, despite the miserable A-holes in your side of the world! Sending strong positive reinforcing hugs! LOL
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Keep It Simple Plan:
    Eat only animal products, and try to minimize the dairy. I think for the 1st - 5th and the 19th - 30th this will mean only the cream in my morning coffee, but I ordered a cold brew coffee maker that I hope will make coffee I can drink black and still enjoy. If not, there's always water.

Goal:
    I've sorta been in maintenance mode the way I've been eating, and I want to get back on a downward slope! I also want to see how I do without dairy entirely, so that's my intent for the 5th through 19th (just because life during that time period will make dairy-free more convenient).
  • Chabela53
    Chabela53 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My KISS for September is:
    Drink more water and do some sort of "movement" every day for the month!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »
    Keep It Simple Plan:
    Eat only animal products, and try to minimize the dairy. I think for the 1st - 5th and the 19th - 30th this will mean only the cream in my morning coffee, but I ordered a cold brew coffee maker that I hope will make coffee I can drink black and still enjoy. If not, there's always water.

Goal:
    I've sorta been in maintenance mode the way I've been eating, and I want to get back on a downward slope! I also want to see how I do without dairy entirely, so that's my intent for the 5th through 19th (just because life during that time period will make dairy-free more convenient).

For anyone doing dairy-free, have you tried nutritional yeast? I've heard good things about it, but haven't ever taken the plunge myself...
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    KISS Goal: 1) Be able to button up my jeans again (I refuse to buy the next size up). Fall is coming soon and I can't wear my stretchy shorts forever.

Implementation Plan: 1) Stick diligently with LCHF (under 50g carb). Not just for fat loss, but to keep from feeling all bloated and crappy; hence my pants will fit better. 2) Walk daily, either right after I drop my son at school or get there early to pick him up and take a walk in the arbouretum right next to the school. 3) Yoga.

Expected results: Feel comfortable in my own clothes.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    KISS Goals:
    1. Make myself a higher priority by maintaining my recently increased physical activity and taking care of basics like postponed appointments, getting more sleep etc.
    2. Just concentrate on keeping the carb numbers where they belong. May try and incorporate a few egg fasts to kick start my motivation.