Motivation, accountability and support thread August 24 to 31, 2015

Options
2»

Replies

17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Keep going, one step at a time. Remember we are here if you fall!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • jltheis7
    jltheis7 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Since tomorrow starts back to school workshop week, I spent a warm end of summer day at the MN Landscape Arboretum with family; a 90 minute hike, walking through the various gardens, getting lost in the maze (and it's not even a complicated one) for a total of 12,000 steps. Good way to end summer!
  • violet456
    violet456 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    jltheis7 wrote: »
    Since tomorrow starts back to school workshop week, I spent a warm end of summer day at the MN Landscape Arboretum with family; a 90 minute hike, walking through the various gardens, getting lost in the maze (and it's not even a complicated one) for a total of 12,000 steps. Good way to end summer!
    Sounds fantastic and excellent 12000 steps.
  • violet456
    violet456 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Last week I had blood work done. And this weekend I got the results. All good. My cholesterol is high on the HDL and low on the LDL and low over all (was worried with my increased coconut oil and egg consumption). My blood sugars are well within range. Even my iron levels are up, which is excellent considering I'm not taking ANY vitamins for the past few months for various reasons. I usually get a call from my doctor saying my iron is too low.

The only thing that was high was my Uric Acid levels, which would normally signal gout or other things, but based on my other blood work my doctor is said it is because I am losing weight and when fat turns to protein this is the bi product. So yay, losing actual FAT.
  • jltheis7
    jltheis7 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, Violet! That is the true reason you are doing this, so you are healthy!
  • jebr76
    jebr76 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I've been lurking for a few weeks, finally decided to join in the posting (because my wife, my boss, and my coworkers may kill me if I talk about diet, exercise, and weight loss any more!).

I was a bit disappointed to have gained a pound this week despite tracking everything and racking up some major exercise, so tweaking my goals this week.

1. Track everything
    2. Reduce lunch down to 500 calories
    3. Survive the visit from my family this weekend without gaining weight
    4. Maintain my 13,000 fitibit step average
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    jebr76 wrote: »
    Hi all. I've been lurking for a few weeks, finally decided to join in the posting (because my wife, my boss, and my coworkers may kill me if I talk about diet, exercise, and weight loss any more!).

I was a bit disappointed to have gained a pound this week despite tracking everything and racking up some major exercise, so tweaking my goals this week.

1. Track everything
    2. Reduce lunch down to 500 calories
    3. Survive the visit from my family this weekend without gaining weight
    4. Maintain my 13,000 fitibit step average

I wouldn't worry too much about one week, especially if you've been losing well before. If it helps these are some of the items that helped me to learn/hear/have reinforced.

I've noticed when I exercise quite a bit my weight doesn't drop as much (especially if I exercise the day or two before I weigh). I read something (on one of the forums here) that your body stores more water in your muscles after they've been damaged by exercise (lifting or cardio).

If you haven't been drinking enough water, your body stores more water incase it's becoming scarce.

How are you estimating your exercise calorie burns? Do you eat back all of your exercise calories?

I eat as few of my exercise calories as my hunger will allow. If I get a large calorie burn from biking or a lesser burn from running, I'll eat my target without exercise then if I'm hungry I'll eat a few hundred more at a time (and I I'm hungry a bit more the next day I'll eat some extra in the same way then). I never eat more than half my exercise calories incase I've overestimated the burn.

I also weigh everything that is not easily identified. If I have chips, popcorn, meat, etc. it goes on the scale before I eat it. I weigh fruit until I get a good average for the produce I buy, and only weigh if I get something significantly larger/smaller than the normal size.