Exercise on LCHF

Options
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here exercises on LCHF; if so what do you do.

Replies

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I bike, walk, lift things(not formal weights), and do a small amount of body weight exercises. Nothing extreme, but it's not for lack of energy, it's for lack of time! :smile:
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I exercise lots, and intensely at times

Today was a good long hard ride in the hill country. Panting sweating and basically full exertion at times climbing insane hills.... As part of a long 50 mile ride.

Yes I know it is almost crazy.

7s368m8c0m31.jpg

I have lost 140 pounds of fat on this way of living. And exercise is a big part of it

Me today now doing it the low carb way.

Don't ever let anyone tell you LC does not work. It does work!

jf3ano4qpa34.jpg

• asyroyez
    asyroyez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Curious about this as well.

I just got back into LCHF, and I'm doing some lifting and walking. Lifting (Stronglifts 5x5) I do 3x a week, and walking about 45min/day avg with the dog. That's dedicated walking time though - I am sure I get a decent amount of steps in that I don't count just by living in NYC. Right now I'm aiming for about 25g of carbs per day, we'll see how it goes. I may need to get it up to 50g at some point, need to read up on that.
  • ajmurray1234
    ajmurray1234 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Today was a good long hard ride in the hill country. Panting sweating and basically full exertion at times climbing insane hills.... As part of a long 50 mile ride.

7s368m8c0m31.jpg

I have lost 140 pounds of fat on this way of living. And exercise is a big part of it

jf3ano4qpa34.jpg

Do you get dizzy? I love working out, but I'm afraid I won't be able to sustain a good workout on 20 grams of carbs.
    Like this morning, I was on the treadmill and 20 minutes in, I had to stop and focused on resistance training instead.

Great Job on your workout, though!
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    The first month my work outouts sucked. Dizziness, exhaustion, fatigue. Now I have no problem. I run 6 or 7 km three days a week as well as walk the others and then lift weights.
  • ajmurray1234
    ajmurray1234 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The first month my work outouts sucked. Dizziness, exhaustion, fatigue. Now I have no problem. I run 6 or 7 km three days a week as well as walk the others and then lift weights.

You look AMAZING! How long did it take you to lose the weight?
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options

You look AMAZING! How long did it take you to lose the weight?

The first pic is May 4th, second pic on my birthday September 10th.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I try to walk at least 2 miles Monday through Friday at a good brisk pace. Not up to jogging yet. I also do some body weight and resistence band exercises a few days a week for strength. I average 22g carbs total and haven't had any issues unless I was dehydrated. Pickle juice is my friend! Or broth... But I love pickles!
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Because I'm morbidly obese I do LCHF with little to no exercise. Members of this group have lost over 100lbs that way, so it can be done.

As weight drops for those of us carrying debilitating amounts we can begin exercising again.

For those already exercising - let yourself get fat adapted and endurance improves, short burst not so much.

Great answers on here!
  • KittensMaster
    Options
    Hello,

7s368m8c0m31.jpg

jf3ano4qpa34.jpg

Do you get dizzy? I love working out, but I'm afraid I won't be able to sustain a good workout on 20 grams of carbs.
    Like this morning, I was on the treadmill and 20 minutes in, I had to stop and focused on resistance training instead.

Great Job on your workout, though!

It is a process to get what people call fat adapted

Google this

Mitochondria endurance training

It isn't new. The NFL and lots of endurance athletes do it. You basically retrain your body to use a higher mix of fat as fuel instead of all carbs. You literally become a fat burning matchine

It takes a month or so to feel it. I still take carb electrolyte drinks with me and use them. Just not near as much as others. I had a cliff bar and one GU electrolyte sugar pack today during the ride. That helped with the unexpected intensity. A flat terrain 50 miles I drink maybe a 40 calorie Gatoraide and call it good. This was a new course and way harder than any of us knew !

You can get fat adapted thru consistent exercise while fasted. It is a bit challenging but you rip the body fat off. You literally burn it off as you exercise.

Best wishes on your fitness goals!
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    asyroyez wrote: »
    Curious about this as well.

I just got back into LCHF, and I'm doing some lifting and walking. Lifting (Stronglifts 5x5) I do 3x a week, and walking about 45min/day avg with the dog. That's dedicated walking time though - I am sure I get a decent amount of steps in that I don't count just by living in NYC. Right now I'm aiming for about 25g of carbs per day, we'll see how it goes. I may need to get it up to 50g at some point, need to read up on that.

You may struggle some when you're just getting back into low carb. Performance tends to drop for the first... 3-6 weeks on keto (I think that's about the right timeframe), but it will recover back to about where you were before once you're adapted.

There's nothing wrong w/ going up to 50g carbs at all, but if you're newly getting back into things and are otherwise happy with your 25g/day goal, you may want to wait a couple months to see where you're at after adaptation before you mix it up for workout purposes.

I'm sure KittensMaster will respond w/ more details, but I know that he's mentioned in the past adding some carbs on his most intense rides (which is a totally viable thing to do once you're fat adapted and seriously pushing yourself).
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    For me, I've been going to the gym for the last year 3x a week and have never had a problem sticking to my 20g carb limit. I've just started a structured lifting program this week and am excited to see how that goes (I'm doing Ice Cream Fitness which is similar to Stronglifts 5x5 with more accessory work on top of the big compound lifts). So far so good, but its very early for me on that. I also do yoga once a week currently, which actually feels pretty intense for me b/c I have poor flexibility and a weak core that I need to work on more.

You may want to check out http://reddit.com/r/ketogains. One of the mods there, darthluiggi, has been on keto for well over a decade and is a serious heavy lifter. There is some info in the ketogains FAQ on a couple of plans for the most intense performance athletes to supplement some carbs in the form of dextrose before a workout (called TKD - Targeted Ketogenic Diet over there). But for most of us, its just not needed, and I'd recommend spending a number of months on keto for most folks just sticking with the standard low carb diet before experimenting with that stuff.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    "You can get fat adapted thru consistent exercise while fasted. It is a bit challenging but you rip the body fat off. You literally burn it off as you exercise."

Are you saying you can get fully keto adapted faster with exercise?
  • KittensMaster
    Options
    monikker wrote: »
    "You can get fat adapted thru consistent exercise while fasted. It is a bit challenging but you rip the body fat off. You literally burn it off as you exercise."

Are you saying you can get fully keto adapted faster with exercise?

Yes

Absolutely

I do burn off glycogen quickly doing a 3000 calorie burn ride. I have been at this a while and have lots of extra muscle mass.

Diet is primary for most people. The vast majority.

I would say unless you are really into some intense cardio and HIIT type 100% HRM level exercise to put your primary emphasis on diet.

There are lots of people on here at different exercise levels

You may be able to do cardio level exercise (80% and up of your max heart rate) and burn out your blood sugar

That is what I do. I eat a Snickers before workouts some days

I may not be the best example for you, but your answer is Yes!

• KittensMaster
    Options
    This is last week

A good bit of exercise on low carb lifestyle

There were 2 days of weight lifting but it does not get counted.
    nzo8gxsu9eer.jpg
  • knackeredat34
    knackeredat34 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I run, lift weights, walk the dog, cycle a bit. I try and do something every day. It was exhausting when first changing over to LCHF but 27 days in and i am back to where i was before fitness wise and 17lbs lighter.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I'm not keeping up with Captain America up there ^^, but I exercise pretty much every day. I'm keto with 17:7 IF.

I walk daily, usually an hour, sometimes more. I practice yoga 5-6 days per week, length of time varies. Most weekends are 15-20 minutes. Weekdays when I'm alone, 1.5-2 hours. Yesterday, I added bicycling back into my exercise routine. The walking and yoga are both done mornings and fasting. The bicycling I'll slide in wherever I can, probably evenings.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I appreciate this question and the responses - I have been hesitant to go lower carb because, although I need to lose about 10-15 pounds and belly fat to be at a good racing weight, I am afraid of my runs not going well. I run 3-5 miles 3-4 days/week.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

It takes a month or so to feel it. I still take carb electrolyte drinks with me and use them. Just not near as much as others. I had a cliff bar and one GU electrolyte sugar pack today during the ride. That helped with the unexpected intensity. A flat terrain 50 miles I drink maybe a 40 calorie Gatoraide and call it good. This was a new course and way harder than any of us knew !

You can get fat adapted thru consistent exercise while fasted. It is a bit challenging but you rip the body fat off. You literally burn it off as you exercise.

Best wishes on your fitness goals!

That sounds awesome! You're motivating me to exercise more! I'm very sedentary. I've been walking but I think I need to increase my walk length and frequency.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I appreciate this question and the responses - I have been hesitant to go lower carb because, although I need to lose about 10-15 pounds and belly fat to be at a good racing weight, I am afraid of my runs not going well. I run 3-5 miles 3-4 days/week.

You may struggle for the first few weeks, but it's definitely worth it. I ran about the same as you, and I loved running totally fasted. No need for carbs. No need for any fuel except for body fat. I could run fast, run long, my recovery was quick, and I didn't even breathe hard.

Some of that is just plain old-fashioned exercise adaptation, but some of it is a special feature of muscle adaptation to a low-glucose environment, and to me, it's the coolest aspect of "fat adaptation."