LCHF Pumpkin Spice Steamer!

Options
JessicaLCHF
JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
edited September 2015 in Social Groups
av7ppfp7jj4g.jpg

Just found this recipe online and had to share! I'll post the link, but it's pretty easy to figure out and adapt to low carb by just replacing the sugar with sweetener!

Drink:
4 cups Silk Cashew Milk
½ cup pumpkin puree
½ cup sugar
½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
(Combine and heat)

Whipped Topping:
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tbls sugar
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp cinnamon
(Whip and top!)

Read more at http://dinnersdishesanddesserts.com/cashew-milk-pumpkin-steamer/#

Replies

• kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!!
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Wait, what!? There is no coffee in it!? I'm sure I'll give it a try anyway lol
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, thanks for the post, I'm going to play around with this one too.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options

Good idea! If you get a good adaptation going let me know!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'd think it wOuld need lots more spices than that. But I don't use pumpkin spice mix, I use a bunch of seasoning until it smells right.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Was so bummed my store still doesn't have this. Ugh. I'll try another store next week.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Make your own pumpkin pie spice

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    2 teaspoons ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon allspice
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/2 teaspoon ground mace
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Nicked from http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-pumpkin-pie-spice-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-69245

I don't have or use mace myself. I've never used it making pumpkin pies. So it can be omitted if you like. Looks like you could double or triple that if you use it a lot and keep it in your pantry.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

I don't have or use mace myself. I've never used it making pumpkin pies. So it can be omitted if you like. Looks like you could double or triple that if you use it a lot and keep it in your pantry.

Yeah, us neither. Mace is actually made from grinding the outside sheath of the nutmeg anyway... so yes... they're technically different spices but you can just add more nutmeg without detrimental effects :wink:
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    2 teaspoons ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon allspice
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/2 teaspoon ground mace
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Nicked from http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-pumpkin-pie-spice-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-69245

Thanks for this! I don't think they even have pre-mixed pumpkin spice here in the UK!
  • gsp90x
    edited September 2015
    Options
    This is great! I'm going to try this but without the cashew milk. I'm going to use coffee or tea. More like a latee I guess. I find with my BPC (or tea) that if I add coconut oil AND butter it's really creamy anyway... so I can just add the spices n pumpkin too and see how it goes.

EDIT: whoa! except there are 10g carbs in 1/2 cup pumpkin puree apparently... so maybe... not with pumpkin and just the spices *sigh* oh well.... a small sacrifice for 40lbs and counting! Not to mention getting my life back!
  • baconslave
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    This is great! I'm going to try this but without the cashew milk. I'm going to use coffee or tea. More like a latee I guess. I find with my BPC (or tea) that if I add coconut oil AND butter it's really creamy anyway... so I can just add the spices n pumpkin too and see how it goes.

EDIT: whoa! except there are 10g carbs in 1/2 cup pumpkin puree apparently... so maybe... not with pumpkin and just the spices *sigh* oh well.... a small sacrifice for 40lbs and counting! Not to mention getting my life back!

Yeah, I'm iffy on adding the actual pumpkin myself, but the spices should be yummy on their own. Or you could just decrease the amount of pumpkin you use? A hint of pumpkin instead. A quarter cup or a couple tbsp instead of a half cup?
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options

Pumpkin spice BPC? I like the way you think... ;)
  • gsp90x
    Options
    @baconslave yes, I agree the carbs would me more manageable if they were reduced and you might still get that pumpkin taste too.... but then if I use 1 TBSP pumpkin... what do I do with the rest of the can? I suppose if you really like the drink you could divide it up into 1TBSP little portions (icecube tray) and freeze it. that's what we do with tomato paste. No ice cupe tray though. Just 1 or 2 TBSP into a small piece of plastic wrap and twisted.
  • baconslave
    Options
    @baconslave yes, I agree the carbs would me more manageable if they were reduced and you might still get that pumpkin taste too.... but then if I use 1 TBSP pumpkin... what do I do with the rest of the can? I suppose if you really like the drink you could divide it up into 1TBSP little portions (icecube tray) and freeze it. that's what we do with tomato paste. No ice cupe tray though. Just 1 or 2 TBSP into a small piece of plastic wrap and twisted.

Good idea. Then you could pop one into the BPC whenever you get the urge.
  • inspirationstation
    Options
    Tzao makes Pumpkin Spice tea bags. I have been steeping a couple of tea bags in warmed Califia Farms Almond Coconut blend milk and adding a touch of sweetner.

It is so tasty and only 1 carb for each serving of milk. Comfort food!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/recipe/dairy-free-pumpkin-spice-rocket-fuel-latte/

Try this one, y'all.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'd think it wOuld need lots more spices than that. But I don't use pumpkin spice mix, I use a bunch of seasoning until it smells right.

Nutmeg and cinnamon are the key ingredients in it, so in a pinch, that's really all you need. Clove and allspice are good for another layer "up."

To be fair, 3g of that is fiber, so it's note quite as bad. You probably don't need that much for one cup anyway.

That's what a steamer is, steamed milk. Just add a shot or two of espresso and you have a latte.
  • JessicaLCHF
    edited September 2015
    Options

But three fiber. I'll still prolly cut it to 1/4 cup giving me around 3 1/2 carbs net. s9u72pgk5b9n.jpg
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options

Good idea!
  • Chabela53
    Chabela53 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Educate me please...what is BPC?