How Do I Stop Cheating?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sometimes, something being real hard can be a sign we're on the wrong path.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I might have to disagree there. I go to the gym, three, sometimes four times a week, and work out at home all but one other day. It's hard. REALLY hard. I wheel my oxygen around the gym and do things my doctors told me I could never do. And it's HARD. I have cried. But I also feel better than I have in the three years since finding out I need a transplant. To say that because something is very hard means it's the wrong path, well, that, IMHO, sounds like the beginning of the end.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I might have to disagree there. I go to the gym, three, sometimes four times a week, and work out at home all but one other day. It's hard. REALLY hard. I wheel my oxygen around the gym and do things my doctors told me I could never do. And it's HARD. I have cried. But I also feel better than I have in the three years since finding out I need a transplant. To say that because something is very hard means it's the wrong path, well, that, IMHO, sounds like the beginning of the end.

I agree. There are many moments in life are difficult and many people don't like change. Just because something is challenging doesn't mean it's not the right course of action.

I watched my Mum take 18 years to leave an abusive relationship with two teenage daughters in tow. It was hard! We had no money and nowhere to go but it was absolutely the right thing to do. B)

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Twibbly thanks for posting your reply to another.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Twibbly thanks for posting your reply to another.

I am not the author. One of AnarchoGen's friends is.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    Alliwan wrote: »
    I mentioned to my husband one day (nicely) that we both need to really take care of our diets better. His response was "I don't have diabetes, though, just high blood pressure." Face/palm smiley face. He's coming around, though.

LOL Hubby said the same exact thing to me! He's been on blood pressure meds since he was 18 even tho he wasnt overweight so I know some of that might be genetic but now he's overweight too with an enlarged heart. His mom is diabetic and because of the way health care was in the US for the last half decade, couldnt get insurance to help control her diabetes and she's now in danger of losing her right foot and the neuropathy has gone into her hands as well.

My MIL however still believes in all the soup/fad diets and cant understand why she cant get her blood sugar under control at all even with meds. She has to be more careful tho as she is 100% insulin dependent; her pancreas stopped producing anything the doctors told her.

So I calmly explained to my husband that maybe we should try to get ahead of the curve by being healthy BEFORE we get to the point where we are in danger of losing a limb. He took a couple days for that to sink in and then decided to jump on the Keto bandwagon also. Patience padawan is my motto. It takes time and the ability to see real life results for some.

Glad your husband is coming around! Heart disease is rampant in my husbands family, if you make it past 65 you're really doing something. High blood pressure scares me but he just thinks its normal. I don't think he will go LC but he is noticing that he feels better when eating certain foods and they TASTE better. He's also naturally eating fewer carbs because we just aren't cooking as many. He made meat loaf last night with just meat, egg, and ketchup. No bread crumbs or rice mixed in as would have been done in the past.

My fiance is losing weight since I've been cooking low carb, high fat, etc. It's annoying because he still has potatoes and beans and tortillas and bread and PEPSI... LOL But, if I can get him LOWER carb, I'm happy, because he does have family proof of blood sugar, blood pressure, and heart issues... I keep waiting and praying that something carby makes him feel really bad so he'll finally see the light... I know that is the type of thing it will take...
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I keep waiting and praying that something carby makes him feel really bad so he'll finally see the light... I know that is the type of thing it will take...

Would Alzheimer's do it?
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2367001/
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I keep waiting and praying that something carby makes him feel really bad so he'll finally see the light... I know that is the type of thing it will take...

Would Alzheimer's do it?
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2367001/

Absolutely, but I know him well enough to know that no research or study will change his mind. It will have to be something he really FEELS in a way that he can't logic or reason away.

And sadly, that condition runs in his family, probably a lot for the same reason. He is borderline hypoglycemic who believes he can "regulate" through regular sugar infusions, and believe me no logic helps there either. He's the type who lets determination overrule common sense (military type, for anyone who knows what I mean - "If I don't admit it, it didn't happen," etc.), and takes pride in the fact that he can dictate terms to his body, so to speak.

He hasn't realized that even with the stupid amounts of sugar he still dumps in his body that he's losing fat and gaining health, and he has far fewer blood sugar lows unless his stubbornness doesn't let him take time to eat (that is a whole separate issue...lol). It will take a while to acknowledge this though.

I've known him long enough (25 years, been together for 3) to know that the more I try to convince him in any way, the less he'll "buy" it and the more he'll fight it. So the best way I know is to make him better food, nourish him healthfully, and I know the bad stuff will gradually become less appealing. It already has quite a bit without him realizing it. He is a creature of habit. I just have to let nature gradually change those habits for him...
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    The mindset has to change first, and sometimes that can be an uphill battle. Unfortunately there is nothing to be done outside of a good example and gentle encouragement, especially if someone has accepted the inevitability of disease. I did see a little improvement in one of his relatives (T2D, thyroid, high blood pressure, takes a grocery store bag of pills) who listened to me talk about low carb on Sunday and seemed interested. Really interested, not just politely so. I don't know if she'll jump all the way in but she is starting to think and watch more, which is good.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    The mindset has to change first, and sometimes that can be an uphill battle. Unfortunately there is nothing to be done outside of a good example and gentle encouragement, especially if someone has accepted the inevitability of disease. I did see a little improvement in one of his relatives (T2D, thyroid, high blood pressure, takes a grocery store bag of pills) who listened to me talk about low carb on Sunday and seemed interested. Really interested, not just politely so. I don't know if she'll jump all the way in but she is starting to think and watch more, which is good.

@Sugarbeat This is SOOOOOO true. That's why I just keep living by example. I equated my carb/sugar intolerance to his lactose intolerance (he's Native). That got through...for a little bit... He just keeps getting frustrated and such because I don't want to make eat total crap anymore.

I can't stand being fat and unhealthy. So he has to understand that I have to restrict something! I just don't force that on him. The one thing that drives me bonkers is that he won't actually pay attention to restrictions outside of bread/sugar. He asked me incredulously why I couldn't have corn? Then berated me for never having cabbage again, and I asked him why the heck I couldn't eat cabbage? He just doesn't pay attention enough to "get" it and refuses to learn because it's "obviously a fad diet." So eating more authentically is a fad, right? Did y'all know that?

I think his main thing is that he's been FORCED onto diets by various women in his life, and he can't understand that I'm not doing that, and all. Any limitations currently are mainly due to budgetary concerns - not my way of eating! SIGH
  • whatsizbucket
    whatsizbucket Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I needed to hear this today. I always went ahead and stopped each time I 'messed up' my low carb plans by carbing out. 'I'll start again next week', was a common saying when I messed up. Number 7 hit home. Fantastic letter! Just what I needed to hear.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    o:) Smart lady..

You can't force a man to do anything he doesn't want to without some repercussion. >:)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @Twibbly, thanks for posting your friends, friends reply. This is something we must renew ourselves to every moment possible. Great inspiration. @Carly, my hubby is the same way with his attitude toward this woe. I believe he thinks it's a fad, and will pass, as all of the others have. He hasn't even paid enough attention to know how to cook things (he used to cook ALOT, now, not so much) for me, and doesn't seem interested in learning. He's happy to eat the meat I cook, but is always looking for a side dish, where I could care less. He will even add pimento cheese to his plate just to have something else to eat! Maybe he will get it one day, once he realizes this isn't a fad.meanwhile, I'm watching him gain weight while eating my high fat meat along with his carbage!.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Diabetes Meds... Make life easy!
    Till the day of reckoning.
    Then it's "How can I fix it time?"
    Unfortunately for me, I can't.
    At best I might be able to hold
    the complications at bay.
    I heard all the tales of woe, but
    like most, I thought it would never
    happen to me.

o:) OR >:)
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Perfect read for me today. Especially this:

"You deserve better than a cheap, simple, VERY momentary pleasure."

Printed and put where I'll see it every day.

@JessicaLCHF And then I get the best laugh I've had all day on top of it!
  • AppetiteControlFreak
    Options
    I guess it depends on how serious you feel the situation is.

My doctor hates insulin

He says it is hard on your body and is a last resort.

He said we would do everything possible to avoid ever going on the hard drugs

So for me it was just serious from the start. Cheating was never an option with my doctor. He was adamant. You have to fix this now. Type 2 is a lifestyle disease so change your lifestyle for the better or diabetes will change it for the worse.

Don't cheat

You are not rewarding yourself, you are hurting yourself

It was told to me every visit.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    Perfect read for me today. Especially this:

"You deserve better than a cheap, simple, VERY momentary pleasure."

Printed and put where I'll see it every day.

@JessicaLCHF And then I get the best laugh I've had all day on top of it!

;) hee hee.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    @Jessica - HAHA --STOP IT!! Just Stop it. Bob Newhart Classic. I'm going to play that over and over.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I like #5.

Finally I figured out the key to failure is to make everything Optional.