Workout Check-in September

Options

Replies

• awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Low Bar Squats 5x5 140lbs (warmup 45/45/ 95/115lbs) - these were just gross because it was too hot. I was wearing a tank and the bar was sliding around my sweaty back. GROSS. Why can't it be fall yet? It's still close to 100F here!

Bench 5x5 90lbs (warm up 65lbs)

Pendlay Rows 3x5 95lbs - I decided to try these again. Yep, still hate them. I prefer dumbbell rows, the form barbell rows is just awkward.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yesterday was a much better workout than Tues. Still having issues fitting in 3 workouts a week recently. I may need to just accept 2/week is my new norm, especially now that I have roller derby and have started rock climbing.

Squat - 3x5 at 125 lbs - these felt pretty good. :)
    pull ups - 3,2,2 - fewer reps, but they were wide grip since I couldn't get the proper bar and had to use the assisted machine.
    BP - 3x5 at 80 lbs - holy crap these were hard. It is amazing how much a difference 2.5 lbs makes. They were grindy, and I probably shouldn't have counted my last rep as my hips came off the bench and I don't think I locked out. I think I just got it above the pins and decided that was close enough :P
    Rows - 3x5 at 80 lbs. These felt good. I am ready to try 85.

Shrugs - 3x9 at 65 lbs. will do 3x10 next time.
    Hip thrust - 3x10 at 90 lbs. Fine. Still finding my max here.
    skullcrushers - 3x8 at 40 lbs - still tough
    Barbell curl - 9,9,8 at 45 lbs. tough.
    Hyperextensions - 3x10 with 25 lbs. Going to do 30 lbs next time.
    Cable crunch - 3x10 at 55 lbs. Still extremely difficult.

Overall it felt like a great workout. Feeling some good DOMS today.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Mirrim52 - wow! Roller derby and rock climbing! Good for you! With all that going on I can see why you might want to cut down to 2/week.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i did my pre-workout shoulder workout before i worked out today, and it's about time i learned this lesson: IF YOU CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO DO THAT WARMUP, YOU SHOULD JUST GO HOME. 1x12 of broomstick dislocations followed by 1x12 band-pulls with arms at full stretch and elbows locked; repeat at least three times and preferably more. i also kept the band with me and did more sets of 12 pulls in between most of my real-lift sets. this is major, for me. HUGE difference.

squats: 75. actually, i did 3x5@70 which is the trainer benchmark, and then since that had gone well and for the sl side of my life, i added another 5lbs and did 3x5 there. warmups started at 45 and kept going up. abs abs abs are the secret to squats. and death-by-lacrosse-ball on the tfl bands before starting out.

bench: 70. did 5x5 here, with idk, 5 sets of progressive warmup. not a weight increase from my last good bench on trainer day, but two extra sets and really nice form so i'm very happy. most of it was closer to the easy side of the hard/easy divide, so i think i'm good to go up the next time.

rows: also 70. i warmed up with 2x5@50, then 2x5@60, then did the 5 or probably 6 or even 7 work sets. went well this time. the gym was quiet so i got to superset this with bench, once my bench warmups were done. i like doing it that way a lot since the lat activation keeps me more steady and safer for bench. and i'm now rowing as much as i bench, so i'm happy on behalf of my back.

i also did 4x1 negative chins with prolly about 20 seconds to get from the top down to the full hang. haven't been rowing/chinning consistently for a week or two so i'm also happy with this considering i had just done all those rows.

and: used the deadly spring clips all the way through - never touched a collar. made sure i used more of my left hand than my right, maybe 60/40 divide. the springs are still pigs to use, but this has definitely been paying off in terms of sheer forearm/grip strength. i recommend.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    I'm working on form and am up to 90 on the squat with near perfect form all the way through. My bench press is good until the last set but I got through it. I did have my husband spot me on it though since he was around. I'm on a deload for the BR so great form and easy.
    11382 steps 9/27
    5.24 miles
    140.82 miles total

Squats 5x75, 5x80 5x85, 5x5x90
    Sumo squats 5x5x80
    BP 5x65, 5x70, 5x75, 5x5x80
    BR 5x5x75
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hurrah for more climbers!!!!!!!!!

That's all. I may work out tonight and have something to report.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Squat 110 3x5
    OHP 60 3x5
    PR 85 3x5
    Chin ups BW 5-4-4
    glute and abs
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I slept in this morning instead of jogging, so after lifting I ended up jogging a little on the treadmill. It meant I didn't get home until even later but was good to get some done. Plus, I hadn't used the treadmill since before I started c25k and it might be helpful to use some during winter. It wasn't too bad doing it after workout even with today's lower body focus.

10 - Lower Power

squats 3x5 @ 175 - kept same weight and still barely can get up all reps. Not sure if should de-load a little or try the increase and see how it is to full on fail.
    deadlift 3x3 @ 190 - heavy but managed the three sets. Might keep to the 3 rep focus and work up slowly.
    leg press 3x8 @ 220 - not bad
    leg curl 3x8 @ 70 - tad heavy there
    standing calf 3x8 @ 45 - eh, the thing needs to go down a little lower but can't (aka, i'm short, lol)

5 minute warm up walk, 25 minute jog and 5 minute cool down walk on treadmill. My jog is just 4.7 speed wise so kept it slow and got to watch a little food network.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Made myself do my Sunday StrongLifts. Had two kids running around at the time, so took twice as long to complete ("Put that down!", "Go bother your dad", "You can't hug my leg while I'm holding the loaded bar - it's for your own safety", "I can't answer your questions while I'm in the middle of my set", "Please stop hanging on the bar")

Squats 5x5x82.5 lbs
    OHP 5x5x57.5 lbs
    Deadlift 1x5x110 lbs

@canadianlbs I totally agree on the importance of abs while doing squats. And everything else, for that matter. When my abs are feeling strong and contracted, my entire lift gets better and when they are feeling weak my lift will for sure be weak as well.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Rest day!
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Squat w/u 4x115
    Sumo DL 4x115, 4x120, 2x125
    Glue bridge 3x10x140
    Front squat 3x5x70

This is my last week of my first cycle of Candito's strength program before a deload week and I am really liking it. I have been seeing some great improvements in my lifts that I have been fighting forever for so yay!
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ditto re: abs + squats. I always feel like a rock star after a set where everything was engaged!

Last night - not a strict SL because I like to warm up heavy and then deload for work sets
    Squats - 165 (warm ups: 45,95,115,135,155,175, 195, 205)
    DL - 185 (wu: 135, 155, 175) followed by 135x5

Super set 3x10 of the following:
    OHP 45
    Step Ups with 2x10# DB
    Lunges with 2x10# DB
    Single Leg Curl - not sure which weight
    Cable Crunch - 47.5
  • fanncy0626
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I am still trying to perfect my form so I am still on a D load. I can really feel that my form is tightening my glutes. I have also Lost 3 pounds during my cut.

Sumo squats 5x5x75
    BP 5x3x45, 5x5x50
    DL 5x5x135
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Wow I have been a slacker about lifting this month! :-/
    I only have done 5 workouts all month. Last week I was tapering before my half marathon but don't really have an excuse for the rest of the month!

Anyway, with so few workouts, I have deloaded pretty far.
    Today I was on Workout A:

Squats, 5x5@75 lbs
    Bench, 5x5@50 lbs
    Rows, 5x5@60 lbs
    RDLs, 3x10@60 lbs

Finished up with the elliptical for 45 minutes.
    I will get back on track in October!!
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Squats 5x5x85lbs
    Bench 5x5x60 lbs
    Rows 5x5x67.5

Next week is going to be a weird schedule for me due to a work conference, so I'm making sure I get my workouts in this week in case I have to skip one later.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Still working on form!

2873 steps 9/29
    1.5 miles
    143.96 miles total

Sumo squats 5x5x75
    OHP 5x3x45, 5x5x50
    DL 5x5x135
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I had today off from work since I switched shifts and went in yesterday instead. It was nice but also quite lazy. Instead of getting up to jog, I stayed in bed until noon. All of in the apartment did. Managed to get some groceries bought in the afternoon so once I get stuff cooked I have meat and veggies again. Was getting a little low. Worked on some online stuff, then went to the gym.

11 - Upper Hyper

incline bench 4x10 @ 65 - decent though felt it by the end
    bench db fly 3x8 @ 15 - not bad and slight increase in weight
    seated row 4x10 @ 60 - okay there
    one db row 4x10 @ 22.5 - okay though left struggles a tiny bit at the end
    db lat raise 4x10 @ 10 - okay, maybe try 12.5 next time
    seated db curl 4x10 @ 15 - meh, curls
    cable tri extension 4x10 @ 50 - decent

Then I did walk on treadmill, jogged 25 minutes, had to reset cause treadmill timer thing only allowed 30 minutes overall, jogged another 15 and walked a small cool down.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I haven't reported in a while.M y workouts are a little more complicated these days and I mostly can't be bothered xD But just so you guys know I'm still around, GBB day 1 (3rd repeat) + Squats

Squats 4(5)x5 @ 180 - 4/3/4/4/3
    I ended up failing the 5th rep on the first set. Not sure if I simply misgrooved or just didn't have it in me, but I ended up falling forward and didn't have the strength left to catch it. That kinda burned me out for the following sets. (If) I fail the 3x5 next time around I'm deloading. Which is okay in my book.

I threw in some resistance band shoulder rehab and stretches in between sets. It's been flaring up a bit lately:/

3 rounds of 45s work/15s rest (from 30/30 on the first workout and 40/20 last time)
    - DB Goblet Squat (40lbs) 19/15/12 (ran out of gas on that last round, really)
    - Hand Release push-ups 14/12/12
    - Ring recline rows 16/13/12
    - 2x40lbs DB Romanian Deadlift 13/12/12
    - Plank hold (forearms, decline straight arms, decline forearms)

I was reeling for air and sweat was rolling off of me in waves at the end. i already had to dig deep just to keep going til the end here and I just flopped onto my face after the last plank and could've just stayed on the ground right there forever. lol

But I still had this to go through: Full tabatas (8 rounds) of EACH, alternating
    - Sit-outs 6/5/4/5/5/6/5/6
    - Hollow Rocks 11/10/8/8/8/7/9
    Numbers might be a bit off, but ugh, that was hard. Again, I just stayed on the ground forever once I was done

And lo and behold, that was IT. Did not have it in me to do ANY other accessory. I'm gonna take 2 days off for the first time in a while here - I just can't recover properly right now.

You gals keep killing it tho! :)
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I had to deload this week since I haven't worked out since last Friday. My legs are feeling tight and I haven't been bicycling either because of rain. I hope I can get in a run in tomorrow before more rain starts up.

Today's workout:

Squats: 5x5 @ 125 lbs.
    Bench Press: 5x8 @ 75lbs.
    Bent over rows: 5x6 @ 75lbs.
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I know there are some awesome ladies in here who can do 5x5 with 100# on bench no problem but I got stuck on 100 when I was doing 531 and couldn't get past 2 reps. Tonight was my high intensity strength day for bench so I was supposed to do 100# for 1-4 reps. I thought I would be lucky to get 3 but I got 4. :) So anyway, tonight's workout was:

Bench w/u; 4x100
    Row 8x70; 6x75; 6x80
    Ohp 8x50; 6x55; 6x60
    Lat pull down 8,6,6