What supplements are you taking?

Options
Nettabee
Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
I pretty much discovered in the first week that I would need to get some help getting vitamins in while going through this new LCHF life! So that week I bought a Women’s Multivitamin I had been taking before but stopped. I also noticed I was cramping like mad no matter how little or how much sodium I was getting. So last night I bought some Potassium in addition to Fish Oil (which has Omega3, 6, and 9?)....that thing is HUGE by the way!

My women’s multivitamin has A, B-vitamins, C,D,E (f-Z ...j/k), Folic Acid, and Calcium in addition to other womanly things lol (yay biotin!). Just curious to know if I should go ahead and start getting some other supplements in. I'm still only in the first month, but I'm so determined to stick to this, and I want to be as healthy as possible while doing it!

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I take a magnesium citrate supplement (helps with cramping muscles and also helps me sleep). Occasionally use fake salt (potassium chloride) along with or instead of real salt to round out my electrolytes.

That's the only supplementing I do. So far, so good.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The only supplementing you should really need in the long run are the occasional potassium or magnesium. Deficiencies of these are most common, especially if you're really active, due to the decreased storage of sodium. When the body gets sufficiently low on sodium, then potassium and magnesium are next to go in order to maintain the proper balance, which is probably why you found you needed them. These levels change quickly and under rather predictable circumstances, though, so it's pretty easy to determine if and when you need to supplement them.

The rest of the ones you mentioned are abundant in a LCHF diet, particularly if you're eating meat and eggs.

Now, supplements can be useful in the beginning in order to speed up the regaining of your stores of particular nutrients as you get through the learning curve of this way of eating and correct any existing deficiencies, but you still don't need to supplement across the board just because. Supplement if you find signs of deficiency (either through blood tests, symptoms, or analysis of your previous diet over the past year or more), but otherwise, you're very likely wasting your money, since the body will eliminate excess (and it's relatively poorly absorbed to begin with).
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vite, ginko biloba (for ADD), a probiotic, and I take my mag along with melatonin at night for sleep. Keep in mind that I either drink broth with potassium salt mixed in, or make my own "gatorade" with salt and potassium salt during the day.

Sometimes I take half a Super B, Vit C, and a calcium/vit D one. Sometimes I also add a ACV capsule or fish oil. I take those because I bought them, but don't feel guilty about ditching them occasionally because I'm uncertain they are all that helpful. Frankly, I get tired of the pill popping, so I fall back to the ones in the first sentence and the other electrolytes. They are the essentials, IMO, and the others I take sometimes because I don't want to have wasted my money. So I may just have really expensive pee those days. *shruggin'*
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I'm only on week two but so far I only take krill oil, vitamin d (I'm deficient), and Move Free Ultra. I had a bad experience with magnesium in the past. I probably should add a multi. I try to use a lot of the pink Himalayan salt and drink broth.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I take a probiotic, fish oil, and multivitamin. Also vitamin D on days I don't get outside. Vitamin C if I'm getting sick. Magnesium, melatonin, and valerian for sleep. I guess magnesium helps with cramps and stuff, too! I just picked up a potassium supplement for if cramps are troublesome during the day. Oh, and milk thistle to support liver function.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Nettabee wrote: »
    I also noticed I was cramping like mad no matter how little or how much sodium I was getting. So last night I bought some Potassium in addition to Fish Oil (which has Omega3, 6, and 9?)....that thing is HUGE by the way!

I don't think sodium helps with cramping, but it will help reduce potassium losses. Magnesium is what most people recommend to reduce cramping. Phinney and Volek recommend supplementing with Slow-Mag for the first 20 days of the diet.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I use Lite Salt from Morton mixed with regular to get some potassium, Fish oil, Psyllium capsules & Slo-Mag. I take St. John's Wort too but that's not diet related.
  • Nettabee
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I take a multi-vite, ginko biloba (for ADD), a probiotic, and I take my mag along with melatonin at night for sleep. Keep in mind that I either drink broth with potassium salt mixed in, or make my own "gatorade" with salt and potassium salt during the day.

Sometimes I take half a Super B, Vit C, and a calcium/vit D one. Sometimes I also add a ACV capsule or fish oil. I take those because I bought them, but don't feel guilty about ditching them occasionally because I'm uncertain they are all that helpful. Frankly, I get tired of the pill popping, so I fall back to the ones in the first sentence and the other electrolytes. They are the essentials, IMO, and the others I take sometimes because I don't want to have wasted my money. So I may just have really expensive pee those days. *shruggin'*

I'm wondering if I should try a probiotic also. I've had IBD for YEARS (to include having a Colonoscopy at 24 smh....i'm traumatized for life now) without knowing and they keep going back and forth about celiac disease.

One of my main motivations about LCHF is because of multiple hospital visits, a pericarditis diagnosis, and every test in the book to evaluate my heart. Everything looks good now, but high BP runs rampant in my family and I'm DEFINITELY doing all that I can to keep that FAR away and my heart healthy. I'm also anemic and have a crappy a** immune system lol.

SO I don't consider anything a waste of money compared to those hospital bills!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I take magnesium, Vitamin C(keeps me from having legs out of a horror film), krill oil, pre-natal gummies(multi essentially), calcium, sometimes iron(when the doctor says I'm low I take it for awhile and blood levels stay stable for a few months). I use potassium chloride and salt on my food, drink powerade zero on occasion and drink broth with some potassium chloride added.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I forgot I also take a shot of apple cider vinegar each morning. It seems to help my stomach issues and I haven't gotten strep throat (which I used to get multiple times a year) since I started. Not sure why but if it works I don't question it! lol
  • mountainrun73
    Options
    Nettabee wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »

I'm wondering if I should try a probiotic also. I've had IBD for YEARS (to include having a Colonoscopy at 24 smh....i'm traumatized for life now) without knowing and they keep going back and forth about celiac disease.

One of my main motivations about LCHF is because of multiple hospital visits, a pericarditis diagnosis, and every test in the book to evaluate my heart. Everything looks good now, but high BP runs rampant in my family and I'm DEFINITELY doing all that I can to keep that FAR away and my heart healthy. I'm also anemic and have a crappy a** immune system lol.

SO I don't consider anything a waste of money compared to those hospital bills!

If you have IBD, a probiotic can definitely help, along with low carbs. I struggled for YEARS (most of my life) with what I used to call "stress stomach" and what is commonly known as IBS. You know what docs give you for that? Antidepressants. Seriously. I have dealt with depression, too, but the antidepressants didn't do a damn thing for IBS. A little over a year ago I began experimenting with lower carbs/Paleo/Primal style eating. I did notice a marked improvement in IBS symptoms eating that way (still didn't stick to it very long, though). The one thing that has made a difference for me no matter how I eat is taking a daily probiotic. Sometimes twice a day if I'm having an IBS flare or am sick. Also look into digestive enzymes; I took those for a while with every meal but now only if I'm having digestive issues.

Bentonite, aloe juice/gel, L-glutamine, and activated charcoal are all wonderful for digestive issues. Bentonite and activated charcoal help draw out toxins (activated charcoal is great for bloating). Aloe and L-glutamine help to heal the digestive system.
  • mountainrun73
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I forgot I also take a shot of apple cider vinegar each morning. It seems to help my stomach issues and I haven't gotten strep throat (which I used to get multiple times a year) since I started. Not sure why but if it works I don't question it! lol

I second the ACV! The stuff has so many healing uses, it's ridiculous! And it does indeed help with digestive issues.

• Nettabee
    Options
    I take magnesium, Vitamin C(keeps me from having legs out of a horror film), krill oil, pre-natal gummies(multi essentially), calcium, sometimes iron(when the doctor says I'm low I take it for awhile and blood levels stay stable for a few months). I use potassium chloride and salt on my food, drink powerade zero on occasion and drink broth with some potassium chloride added.

I drink Powerade Zero too. It's getting to the poiny where it's almost too sweet, so i pour half in a glass and add water...smh that's kinda sad lol.
    anglyn1 wrote: »

I second the ACV! The stuff has so many healing uses, it's ridiculous! And it does indeed help with digestive issues.

I have a family member that just started taking ACV for blood pressure among other things. Didn't know it could help with the digestive system also.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options

I'd like to clarify that I'm not trying to dump on supplements.

I've observed that the electrolyte supplementation and the ginko biloba work.

I have Chronic Fatigue, and I've tried those other supplements I'd mentioned to help with it. I took them faithfully for a long time. They don't seem to make a difference or help me whatsoever. That's not to say they won't work on someone else.

I used to have IBS-C. After going low-carb and having taken probiotics for 1.5 years, I have zero issues any longer.

I took ACV to hopefully help with the aches and joint pain that sometimes come with the bouts of Chronic Fatigue I still experience. I haven't noticed any assistance from that either. But again that's not to say others haven't experienced any.

I'm pretty much to the point that I've resolved that I'm going to get slammed with moderate bouts of Chronic Fatigue here and there for the rest of my life. I'll use up the supply of things I've already paid for, but I'm not bothering to try anything else. YMMV.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I just added Krill oil so I have not report but over time I should know if it helps with weight loss and cholesterol numbers.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I take a tonne. I was low in a few after being an undiagnosed celiac for many decades, and I haven't been checked recently to see if I'm where I should be now.

Hmmm, I take Mg, Ca, a multi, selenium, boron, D, A, maca, ginsing, fish oil, niacin, CoQ10, tumeric, Zn, and Na in my water.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin, calcium, magnesium (I may decrease), potassium (every other day, I'm sleeping all night again and no more leg cramps), vitamin C (bruising on my legs), vitamin D, inositol and choline (central nervous system health since I get migraines), and I take B12 shots. I'm also a weight loss surgery patient who can't absorb all of the nutrients from food and will have to take many for life.

The Inositol was recommended by a great Pal in this group and wouldn't have known about the potassium, magnesium, and vitamin C for the bruising without many of the other great people here too!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I only take folic acid, as a woman of breeding age I think it's important.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Agree with most of the above:

Magnesium (NOT OXIDE) - tested as deficient, added for cramps and sleeping
    Potassium (if needed, rarely, if I supplement, it gives me too much which makes me dump more magnesium)
    Hyaluronic Acid for wear and tear joint inflammation

Iodoral - it's Iodine/Iodide for thyroid support of my hypothyroidism (NOT for Hashimoto's - can worsen)
    D3/K2 - I'm deficient in D3
    B-Complex & B-12 - Deficient in B-12, but have to balance by taking all B's to not deplete.

I do not take a multi. Not indicated needed.

I do also drink Kombucha daily for probiotics and naturally fermented goodness (helps gut biome). Has helped with bathroom troubles since 15 years of not having gallbladder. Now mostly balanced.

I do hemp protein and chia seeds for Omega 3's, etc. Would rather get from food than pill...