Low carb desserts

Options
Hi everyone! I'm looking for recipes for low carb desserts. I've only been on a low carb plan for 3 weeks but have seen an 8lb loss so very happy to see the scale going down after months of nothing. Anyway I've been having really bad cravings for desserts and figure of I can make my own and just have one once in a while that will keep me on track. I tried looking for low carb desserts already made at the store and closest I could find was fiber one bars which still have a lot of carbs...so any recipes or suggestions would be Great Thanks!

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Low-carb lime cheese cake:

od9mvsjhjns0.jpg

Makes 4....

Crust:
    8g Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (about 1 tbsp, melted)
    30g Ground Almonds
    5g Sweetener (about 1 tsp... optional)
    Pinch of Cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice)

Filling:
    1 tsp Vanilla Extract
    1 tsp Lemon Extract (or vanilla extract)
    Lime juice & zest from 2 limes (about 4 tbsp lime juice)
    300g Full Fat Soft Cheese (cream cheese)
    45g Sweetener (about 1/3 cup)
    1 Egg (medium)
    • Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius (about 400 degrees Fahrenheit).
    • Stir together ingredients for crust and divide into 4 muffin cups. (I put them straight in the tin, but liners would make taking them out easier and keep the bottom from going soggy.)
    • Bake for about 5-7 minutes.
    • While the crust is in the oven, mix together cream cheese, sweetener, egg, lime juice and zest and vanilla and/or lemon extracts. Spare some zest to garnish at the end if you wish.
    • Once the crusts are out of the oven, decrease temp to 175 (350).
    • Pour cheesecake batter into the muffin cups and bake for another 20-25 minutes until the centers are not so wobbly.
    • Remove from oven and garnish with leftover lime zest and a spinkle of cinnamon (optional).
    • Let cool on counter top until the temperature is low enough to transfer to the fridge (4-6 hours) or to the freezer (1-3 hours) to set.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    In the Launch Pad, there is a link to "share your original recipes". Sorry I'm on mobile and can't copy the links.
    But several people there shared some good ones. I made one I saw and it was very good. I shared my pic of it.
    Anyway, a way that I ease a sweet tooth sometimes without making actual desserts, is have some BPC or BPtea with some sugar free Davinci or torani syrup in it.
    I will warn you that it's super easy to over do the low carb deserts because you feel pretty guilt free about it but they still can have quite a lot of calories. I also tend to just ignite the fire behind the sweet cravings if I'm not careful by indulging in them. Just be careful, they are still desserts.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I made a chocolate mousse recipe last night because my husband was craving something sweet. It was really good! Quite rich!

http://low-carb-support.com/keto-chocolate-mousse/
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Low carb lime cheesecake looks great...copying it off now... Does ReddiWhip whipped cream straight out of the can count as dessert? ; )
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Low carb lime cheesecake looks great...copying it off now... Does ReddiWhip whipped cream straight out of the can count as dessert? ; )

I eat Cool Whip from a spoon occasionally, so I say YES. Low maintenance desserts can be just as good. :wink:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10044905/share-your-original-recipes

and scroll close to the bottom of a slew of LC recipe-site links:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad

• chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on a cheesecake fluff kick. So flippin easy to make and absolutely delicious! So far I've used sugar free white chocolate, s'mores, and vanilla. Trying the caramel this weekend.

screwedonstraight.net/keto-desserts-cheesecake-fluff-edition/
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever made sugar free pudding with almond milk, or any other milk alternative? The package said not to use soy milk, but nothing about almond milk. I made a box last night with almond milk (since it only has 1 carb per 1 cup serving) and it did not set up at all. It's still pretty runny after spending the night in the fridge. Don't get me wrong, I'm still eating it, but it's just not the consistency I was hoping for. Thoughts? Suggestions?
  • amb312
    amb312 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My go to when I am craving sweets is sugar free jello. I love that stuff!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    petunia773 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever made sugar free pudding with almond milk, or any other milk alternative? The package said not to use soy milk, but nothing about almond milk. I made a box last night with almond milk (since it only has 1 carb per 1 cup serving) and it did not set up at all. It's still pretty runny after spending the night in the fridge. Don't get me wrong, I'm still eating it, but it's just not the consistency I was hoping for. Thoughts? Suggestions?

You can either use gelatin to firm it up, add heavy cream half and half with the almond milk, or use half the amount of almond milk. There is something it doesn't have that creates the firming factor.
  • petunia773
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

You can either use gelatin to firm it up, add heavy cream half and half with the almond milk, or use half the amount of almond milk. There is something it doesn't have that creates the firming factor.

I looked at the HWC but it looks like for the amount I'd need, it would up the carbs too much for my liking. Something like 1 gram of carbs per 1 tablespoon if I remember correctly. That's why I looked at all of the milk alternatives and went with the almond milk because it was 1 carb per cup. I bought another box of pudding and I'll try adding only one cup instead of 2 and see what that does. :smile:
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    You might also consider subbing in either coconut milk or coconut cream in place of the HWC as it has a better amount of healthy fat that the nut milks do. It really does work as well as WHC in any recipe that calls for HWC.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

I looked at the HWC but it looks like for the amount I'd need, it would up the carbs too much for my liking. Something like 1 gram of carbs per 1 tablespoon if I remember correctly. That's why I looked at all of the milk alternatives and went with the almond milk because it was 1 carb per cup. I bought another box of pudding and I'll try adding only one cup instead of 2 and see what that does. :smile:

HWC has 6 grams of carbs per CUP, so that is less than 1 carb per ounce so it is way less than 0.5 grams of carbs per TBSP (0.415 grams per TBSP, per calculator)...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I've made it with 50% almond milk to 50% heavy cream. That brings the calories down but let's it set correctly.
    Also, that carb count wouldn't be right for heavy cream. But after checking my dads half & half I see that it has 1g carb per 2 Tbsp. I think you may have half & half???
  • LisaAnn642015
    LisaAnn642015 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas and I appreciate the warning to be cautious with eating them :) the only reason I'm craving is because mother nature has come for a visit and usually I'll just have a couple of strawberries but the craving for chocolate is too strong So I found that Atkins has a treat selection I got a box of the chocolate carmel squares and had 2 of those to tide me over until tomorrow hoping cravings will be more manageable lol! I even drank 2 bottles of water before I ate the first one just have to remind myself only in emergencies
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Hey LisaAnne, Hope cravings are calming down. They're the worst aren't they?

I just wanted to mention that there are also several posts on here where people report struggling with cravings to no avail until they just cut out all artificial sweetener (AS) completely. Everyone is different and you (of course) are going to have to experiment and listen to your own body, but just something to keep in mind.

Of course, I was one of these people. My cravings were horrid around that time of the month (TOM) but never seemed to quite be gone completely the rest of the time. There was always a little struggle happening. Then I cut out the AS. It was REALLY hard for about 3 days. I can't tell you how hard. Then moderately hard for about 4 or 5. Now... the Beast can eat whatever he wants in front of me and I truly do not crave anything. It's such a weird and foreign feeling but it's also extremely freeing!! Just some food for thought. (ha ha, get it? Food for thought... Ok. I'm a dork.)

But I do truly hope you've found a little kick for the cravings, cause they suck.

High five for taking charge of your life!
  • petunia773
    Options

I've made it with 50% almond milk to 50% heavy cream. That brings the calories down but let's it set correctly.
    Also, that carb count wouldn't be right for heavy cream. But after checking my dads half & half I see that it has 1g carb per 2 Tbsp. I think you may have half & half???

Thanks! I really thought I grabbed the HWC and looked at that label and not the half and half. I'll check again when I'm at the store this afternoon.
  • petunia773
    Options

Just wanted to update that I made another box of sugar free pudding last night with just Almond Milk and used one cup instead of 2 and it set up!! I took a little taste this morning and YUMMMMM!!!!! I can't wait to eat it tonight for supper. I'm so happy I asked and thank you @KnitOrMiss for the suggestion to use only one cup.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My go to desserts, when I want something sweet, are either a couple squares of really good, really dark chocolate (70% or higher), or some berries (fresh when they are in season, otherwise frozen and thawed) with heavy cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon (this also makes for a good breakfast if you add some chopped pecans or walnuts - eats like a cereal without all the carbs and keeps me going til lunch). I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners (never have) so I don't bother with "low carb" versions of cakes or cookies or whathaveyou. I will eat the real deal on occasion and just use it as a "cheat" meal.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I'm not good at baking, but almost every single day I have whipped cream with a dash of vanilla and a sweetener called Natvia. Natvia is a erythritol stevia mix, not not artificial, but does have a little bitter stevia taste. I adore softly whipped cream.
  • LisaAnn642015
    LisaAnn642015 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice on considering ditching the artificial sweetners gsp90x that may be exactly what's causing my cravings my mother in law suggested mint tea or other flavored teas might help me to kick it she doesnt drink anything sweet in her tea just straight up fresh brewed over ice I tried once before and grimaced at how bitter it was w/o sweetner but I may just have to bite the bullet and give it another go....Thanks also for the input for sugar free jello it has been a life saver! Helped me to drop another 2 pounds yay! Hoping to get thru the holidays with most of my goal weight gone ( wanting to lose 40 pounds ) hoping by end of January. Thanks everyone for all the advice